Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:06:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with cryptocurrency (in my country) isn't easy as I thought  (Read 888 times)
Chris Barth (OP)

Activity: 569
Merit: 88

Credibility: 999

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 09:10:01 PM

Today, while I was surfing through the forum, I came across a post in which someone complained about bitcointalk.org not loading in Turkey. Under his post were several replies that explained that the site happens to be blocked by some internet service providers (which is sad).
A few days ago, I made a post in which I asked "What have you done to promote the Blockchain technology & cryptocurrencies?".
I went through several replies which were pleasing and supportive to the Blockchain technology. Amongst them, someone said that he wore bitcoin shirts around (an ideology I really admire). Another said that he created a facebook page (also interesting).
Just recently, I saw a complain from someone in my country. According to the screenshot which contained a mail from his bank, it said that his bank account has been frozen because they found out that it has something to do with virtual trading (cryptocurrency). Not only was I surprised, I was provoked. You know, one of my plans was to buy numerous Bitcoin and Ethereum polo shirt and wear them (to help promote). However, as it stands right now, I'm afraid I can't do that because I could be held as a user of cryptocurrency. Though this isn't any easy, I'll still keep trying what I can to spread the word. The Blockchain technology gospel must be heard!!!

Get a wallet and move some BTCs, here's mine: [12GZz7hegu8VCkJYHSuP3WTXg7LGXgL1vT]
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Decksperiment

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 10:15:38 PM

This is very unfortunate! Some Governments are anti-crypto and would exert efforts to prevent it or discourage it from its own citizens but eventually, they will reconsider it once mass adoption becomes full blown and other foreign Governments adopts it.

I suggest that if some of you can't access  this forum due to some censorship ion your country, you can try to use VPN or TOR so that it will give you more privacy and less fear from Government interventions.
AverageGlabella
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 10:39:29 PM

This is very unfortunate! Some Governments are anti-crypto and would exert efforts to prevent it or discourage it from its own citizens but eventually, they will reconsider it once mass adoption becomes full blown and other foreign Governments adopts it.

I suggest that if some of you can't access  this forum due to some censorship ion your country, you can try to use VPN or TOR so that it will give you more privacy and less fear from Government interventions.

Its not the government which is preventing access to the websites in this case. Turkey's government aren't the bad guys here instead its the internet providers of Turkey who are restricting access to social media and Cryptocurrency related websites. This should not be used as a anti government movement as its not the government enforcing these restrictions on the Turkish population.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1330

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 10:43:42 PM

I heard similar stories in my country when banks closed someone's accounts when they found crypto related transactions. And they don't even have clear rules which doesn't allow to deal with crypto.
But I think you shouldn't be worried to wear clothes with Bitcoin logo. Wearing such clothes doesn't necessarily make you crypto user. Same like wearing t-shirt with marijuana logo doesn't means that you smoke weed or t-shirt with Jack Daniels logo doesn't means that you drink. So, I think you should wear these clothes to promote crypto, unless it's ilkegal in your country.

Sometimes we shouldn't blame governments. Usually blocking accounts is iniatiative of banks, because simply they are against crypto. Same about Bitcointalk in Turkey - it's blocked by government, just some ISP's decided to block it (and I have no idea why).

AverageGlabella
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 10:51:30 PM

I heard similar stories in my country when banks closed someone's accounts when they found crypto related transactions. And they don't even have clear rules which doesn't allow to deal with crypto.
But I think you shouldn't be worried to wear clothes with Bitcoin logo. Wearing such clothes doesn't necessarily make you crypto user. Same like wearing t-shirt with marijuana logo doesn't means that you smoke weed or t-shirt with Jack Daniels logo doesn't means that you drink. So, I think you should wear these clothes to promote crypto, unless it's ilkegal in your country.
Banks are not going to look favorably on Bitcoin just because its a competitor against their whole system. Bitcoin allows you to become your own bank which directly drives business away from the bankers. They don't need to write a ruling to shut down your bank account for trading in cryptocurrencies because they have a rule that they can shut down your bank account at any time they wish.  

If it was easy to get paid in Bitcoin via my job then I would have already made the transition and said goodbye to the broken banking system.
Woshib

Activity: 938
Merit: 576

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:20:07 PM

First thing to do when using crypto is to check if your country allows it, if yes then you will have fewer problems and you will trade normally, but if your country don't then you need to start making your moves invisible,
first thing never purchase crypto with your card, you can use PayPal, Skrill others.. to buy from paxful or local bitcoins , the rate can be higher , but i can't think of another idea.
good luck
Chris Barth (OP)

Activity: 569
Merit: 88

Credibility: 999

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 11:30:47 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2019, 10:32:27 AM by mprep

Yeah... VPN has been suggested to those in Turkey and other countries that limit citizens. However, I heard it has to be paid for.

Its not the government which is preventing access to the websites in this case. Turkey's government aren't the bad guys here instead its the internet providers of Turkey who are restricting access to social media and Cryptocurrency related websites. This should not be used as a anti government movement as its not the government enforcing these restrictions on the Turkish population.

I did see something similar. But then, if it's not the Turkish government that is restricting these access to bitcointalk and other bitcoin related sites, then who is behind it and why? (though I know you may not have the answers, tell me your thoughts).

Sometimes we shouldn't blame governments. Usually blocking accounts is iniatiative of banks, because simply they are against crypto. Same about Bitcointalk in Turkey - it's blocked by government, just some ISP's decided to block it (and I have no idea why).

According to what I heard from someone, he said that the reason why the bank did it was because people who commit crimes ( like kidnapping) now ask for payment in bitcoin (cause they believe it can't be traced)..... I don't know if it's true... Could be the average rumor.

As for wearing clothes with the btc logo, it isn't illegal (though the government here is pretty funny). However, I'll keep doing what I can to push through...

Banks are not going to look favorably on Bitcoin just because its a competitor against their whole system. Bitcoin allows you to become your own bank which directly drives business away from the bankers. They don't need to write a ruling to shut down your bank account for trading in cryptocurrencies because they have a rule that they can shut down your bank account at any time they wish. 

If it was easy to get paid in Bitcoin via my job then I would have already made the transition and said goodbye to the broken banking system.

I know it's interesting in the digital world. However, you need fiat. ‍♂. The petty things you buy are being paid for with fiat, and to get this fiat, I normally sell my btc for fiat ‍♂.

Get a wallet and move some BTCs, here's mine: [12GZz7hegu8VCkJYHSuP3WTXg7LGXgL1vT]
vintages

Activity: 966
Merit: 153

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 11:53:27 PM

The Internet have been a learning ground for many people and it's easier to communicate and spread information through it, so I feel it's the best place to stick to when informing others about Bitcoin.
Before Bitcoin went offline, it spread online, so online can still be the best place. It may not be in Bitcoin related forums or platform but other platforms of communication.
Before you can spread about Bitcoin offline, you should be sure about it position in you country like the other user has suggested. You don't want provoke the government so wearing a shirt with an imprint of Bitcoin should be out of it if you want to stay away from the authority.
Leonardo7

Activity: 686
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 12:34:10 AM
Last edit: October 05, 2019, 04:20:21 PM by Leonardo7

Don't be scared friend, that bank is my former company, they are only doing what is pleasing to them. Cryptocurrency is neither legal nor illegal in Nigeria. Recently the newly elected lower parliament speaker Femi Gbajabiamila called for a regulatory framework to adopting blockchain technology and Cryptocurrency. I have since stopped using FCMB the bank that did the illegal act of freezing a cryptocurrency trader account.
Wexnident

Activity: 2520
Merit: 665

I don't take loans, ask for sig if I ever do.

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 12:45:22 AM

Today, while I was surfing through the forum, I came across a post in which someone complained about bitcointalk.org not loading in Turkey. Under his post were several replies that explained that the site happens to be blocked by some internet service providers (which is sad).
A few days ago, I made a post in which I asked "What have you done to promote the Blockchain technology & cryptocurrencies?".
I went through several replies which were pleasing and supportive to the Blockchain technology. Amongst them, someone said that he wore bitcoin shirts around (an ideology I really admire). Another said that he created a facebook page (also interesting).
Just recently, I saw a complain from someone in my country. According to the screenshot which contained a mail from his bank, it said that his bank account has been frozen because they found out that it has something to do with virtual trading (cryptocurrency). Not only was I surprised, I was provoked. You know, one of my plans was to buy numerous Bitcoin and Ethereum polo shirt and wear them (to help promote). However, as it stands right now, I'm afraid I can't do that because I could be held as a user of cryptocurrency. Though this isn't any easy, I'll still keep trying what I can to spread the word. The Blockchain technology gospel must be heard!!!
Damn, that's already beyond what the Banks can do to the people. Banks and their weird ways to stop the promotion of blockchain lmao. Though there are still a lot of ways you can promote it on social media or random forums on the internet. You could even advertise this site so that more people would join the discussions about bitcoin. Don't worry about it much though. Sooner or later, it's goodbye banks for them.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Kencha77

Activity: 574
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 12:53:42 AM

Maybe the governments are against crypto in their country but its the ISP that is the reason why they can't access. The government commanded different ISP to blocked those sites and some social media platforms that are related to cryptocurrency. Using VPN is the best thing to do right now. Yes some VPN has price but if you can get more money than you can pay with your VPN then it is still ok.
maxreish

Activity: 1330
Merit: 326

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 01:21:56 AM

If your country still hasn't made a final decisions or did not yet illegalized bitcoin, then you can still do whatever you want to promote and to wear tshirts with bitcoin logo or whatsoever. Are you residing at Turkey, too? If such internet provider blocked bttalk forum, have you tried using VPN? There is still way to access sites, I guess.

And regarding with the banks, expect that they aren't fully accepted the virtual currencies which they think that may be a threat to them. In our country, there is a particular bank that supports bitcoin. Maybe, you can also find one in your country, too.
CHRISBIN702

Activity: 1120
Merit: 279

My blockchain can beat up your blockchain

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2019, 01:26:32 AM

A few members of my team of developers are living in Turkey. I had a hard time getting a Western Union to them recently so we figured out a way for them to accept Bitcoin and exchange it into the Turkish Lira within a few hours. I have never personally used this site but I sent BTC to my devs and they found this site which they have since used a few times with ease. https://nakitcoins.com/ Check it out.

Not for sale.........
Why, how much you got?
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 01:37:33 AM

It's a bad mindset to have, for the goverments, or internet service providers that are restricting those sights, but it's not that big of an issue, most times a quick VPN will solve everything and you'll be going back to being able to go on any site you'd like to.

Its not the government which is preventing access to the websites in this case. Turkey's government aren't the bad guys here instead its the internet providers of Turkey who are restricting access to social media and Cryptocurrency related websites. This should not be used as a anti-government movement as its not the government enforcing these restrictions on the Turkish population.
I'm a bit confused though - do they even have the power to do this, and why would the ISP's be the ones regulating traffic, not the government?

I know it's interesting in the digital world. However, you need fiat. 🤷‍♂. The petty things you buy are being paid for with fiat, and to get this fiat, I normally sell my btc for fiat 🤷‍♂.
It's hard to promote change, especially in the finance industry when everything is so stuck in place, we need to see a lot more changes for digital currency to be taken seriously.

pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 10555

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:02:35 AM

banks usually temporary close accounts that raise flags, these are accounts that are doing a lot of bitcoin trading and we are talking about large volumes not a small user buying some bitcoin every now and then with small amounts of money. and i think it is partly because these exchanges are not regulated so there are some red flags about them anyways.
if your bank is causing you any trouble then simply close your account with that bank and move to another one.

You know, one of my plans was to buy numerous Bitcoin and Ethereum polo shirt and wear them (to help promote). I'll still keep trying what I can to spread the word.

you won't be "spreading the word" by wearing a shirt and talking about "trading" bitcoin and pump and dump altcoins like ethereum. the only way to "spread the word" is to actually start spending bitcoin.
when was the last time you paid for something with bitcoin if ever? when was the last time you asked a merchant if they accepted bitcoin payment?

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
MetalGear

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:21:47 AM

Despite of us being a crypto enthusiast and accepting, there are still countries that doesn't accept bitcoin or the whole variety of cryptography in their economy to the point that they prohibit their county people to use it. Some legalized and are actually using it for their transactions like in Singapore, Japan, Philippines, Morocco, U.S, Argentina, Lebanon, Turkey, UAE and many more. And if there are those who accepted it, there are also some who don't, they either legalize or banned it some of those countries are Algeria, Bolivia, Ecuador, Bangladesh, Nepal, and macedonia. It's so unfortunate of you for you might be in the said country who didn't legalize or had it banned.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:35:02 AM

You know, one of my plans was to buy numerous Bitcoin and Ethereum polo shirt and wear them (to help promote). However, as it stands right now, I'm afraid I can't do that because I could be held as a user of cryptocurrency.

There's very little chance that your bank will go as far as checking what kind of clothes you are wearing to determine whether you're a cryptocurrency user or not. Usually they just notice that you send or withdraw fiat money from exchanges to their bank, and then decide to freeze your accounts, because they don't want to risk serving customer whose money they can't track. Just don't connect your account with anything crypto-related and you will be fine.

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
AniviaBtc

Activity: 1120
Merit: 272

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:44:47 AM

Yeah that works. Always check the security and prohibition of crypto in your location, although the internet is also secured by the government, there are various ways on how to deal with it. Use some IP address generator like what you've said, like VPN or TOR and it'll provide you security and you'll become invisible in your country. So you can deal with crypto safe and comfortably.

In terms of Government, banks are really the conflict in some blockchain promotion. But you can use internet or social media carefully. Sooner or later, the bank will adapt the bitcoin when they understand its advantages and benefits. We just need to be patient.

Ailmand

Activity: 1274
Merit: 519

Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 03:45:48 AM

This is really sad for those people who are really supportive to cryptocurrency. There are countries who are lenient in regards to cryptocurrency yet only few people are aware and using crypto, abd there are countries who are strict when it comes to crypto. The only thing you can do is to make sure that your funds are secured. The regulation in your country must be cautious and skeptical when it comes to money earned thru crypto.

gunhell16

Activity: 1694
Merit: 476

View Profile
October 04, 2019, 04:08:45 AM

You might be in a country that cryptocurrency is not that welcome.
Support from the government is a must in any country for their citizens will be more capable of what they are doing.
Here in my country any cryptocurrency is welcome and supported, actually, we also have our own crypto here which had a sold-out ICO before.

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄