Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:52:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper wallets  (Read 327 times)
Samayuki

Activity: 574
Merit: 24

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 11:13:24 AM

I've got a bunch of coins kept in wallets at an exchange and I want to move them all to offline paper wallets.

Looking at my records I seem to have BTC, BAT, BTG, PASC, MUSIC, ELLA and XMR.

I've been to bitaddress.org, created a wallet and printed it. Before I transfer my BTC I wanted to double check that this is a legit wallet generator... most of my $$$$ is BTC.

How about the other coins? Most are low balances. I think MUSIC is now worthless, but nonetheless, I might ask well keep them!

Thanks

Paper wallets are very useful but why not safe yourself the hassle and get a hardware wallet instead? they are now very affordable as well, the choice is yours to make though but paper wallets aren't bad, just make sure you keep them in safe locations and encrypt them too

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
shadowduck

Activity: 840
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 11:24:39 AM

I've got a bunch of coins kept in wallets at an exchange and I want to move them all to offline paper wallets.

I've been to bitaddress.org, created a wallet and printed it. Before I transfer my BTC I wanted to double check that this is a legit wallet generator... most of my $$$$ is BTC.

How about the other coins? Most are low balances. I think MUSIC is now worthless, but nonetheless, I might ask well keep them!

Thanks

Paper wallets are very useful but why not safe yourself the hassle and get a hardware wallet instead? they are now very affordable as well, the choice is yours to make though but paper wallets aren't bad, just make sure you keep them in safe locations and encrypt them too
a paper wallet is safe but it also has a lot of minuses - such as the ability to simply lose this piece of paper or wet it, etc. it would be better to buy a hardware wallet for $ 60

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
Winscosinally

Activity: 490
Merit: 16

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 11:42:25 AM

Thanks

when creating ELLA paper wallet you will be asked to insert a password and this password encrypts your private key. This does not act as a seed to generate your keys but you will need the password and your private key to unlock your wallet. You can create ELLA through github link
https://ellaism.github.io/ellawallet/
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 12:12:34 PM

Thanks

To keep your coins safe, you should divide bitcoin and alts into 2 places to store. such as bitcoin you will send at Bitaddress.org and other alts will be deposited at Ledger Nano S.
Or you can just keep bitcoin and alts at Coinbase wallet. It is a place with the highest and best security. You don't need to go to any websites to keep your coins safe. Try to keep your computer virus free, it will be a lot better. Wink

SistaFista

Activity: 1638
Merit: 251

Hexhash.xyz

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 02:49:41 PM

Are you sure you want to move your coins on exchange to the paper wallets ?
What makes you to think like that ? It will be riskier if you move the coins to the scam paper wallet.
Just make sure you generate the paper wallet on the official site of the coin.

██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
            ████ 
       ████████████
       ████████████
       ████ ████     
       ████ ████     
    ████████████     
    ████████████     
       ████     
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
HEXHASH.XYZ
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀
WEB3 INFRASTRUCTURE TO POWER THE
FUTURE CREDENTIAL DATA NETWORKS
▀▀▀█

▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ █████████████▀█████ ██
██ ███ ▀█████▀      ▀█ ██
██ ███     ▀▀      ▐██ ██
██ ███▌            ███ ██
██ ████▌          ▄███ ██
██ ██████       ▄█████ ██
██ ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████████
██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
██ ████████████▀▀▀████ ██
██ ████████▀▀     ████ ██
██ █████▀    ▄▀  ▐████ ██
██ ██▀     ▄▀    ▐████ ██
██ ████▄▄ █▀     █████ ██
██ ██████ ▄▄█   ▐█████ ██
██ ████████████ ██████ ██
██ ███████████████████ ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Vitamin_52

Activity: 854
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 03:38:36 PM

dear friend if you want to store your coins safely buy a hardware wallet like Trezor or similar. on exchange to store of course dangerously, exchanges the crack, then they quite are closed. or download wallets for these coins and throw them on a flash drive, also a reliable option.
Perfect35

Activity: 854
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 12, 2019, 04:11:57 PM

Getting an authentic and legit source of paper wallet might be a little sketchy. There are several of them, but not all can be trusted. If that you stil prefer to use it, you might ask someone you trust so well and not just asking people at random, because by that, you might not be able to get the right one. Also, if you are in haste to get it, you might opt for a hardware wallet, but this comes with charge. That is, you will need to purchase it.
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 13, 2019, 11:47:08 PM

I am assuming that for as long as Electrum is around then the seed is all I need.

The seed is all you need.

Want to test it out? Download Electrum on an android phone or tablet (or another virtual machine). Turn off data and wifi. Run it. Do a "I have a seed" and let it create the wallet. Notice that the first 20 addresses are the same as the first 20 in your original Electrum wallet.

You can then wipe all program data and storage (or factory reset the device) and it'll all be gone. If it's a VM, just nuke it.

There are other things, like the Extended Master Public Key, this allows you to make a watch-only wallet. You can see everything, but can't spend anything.

If you can somehow get the Extended Master Private Key, that functions just like the 12 seed words. The seed words may be easier to remember or write down. If you're not concerned about using legacy compatible segwit addresses, you won't need this private key; just stick to the seed words.

OasisDre

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

View Profile
October 14, 2019, 07:32:25 AM

Thanks

a paper wallet is safe but it also has a lot of minuses - such as the ability to simply lose this piece of paper or wet it, etc. it would be better to buy a hardware wallet for $ 60
Your point is pointless, that hardwallet you are saying its better don't you know that you will still need to keep your private key safe as well because if the hardware wallet get damaged you can still have access to your funds? hardware wallets can spoil as well

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 14, 2019, 08:00:25 AM

Bitaddress is a fine service provider, I've used them previously right before I got my trezor and I had no issues with them for the month I used them for.

Thanks

Your point is pointless, that hardwallet you are saying its better don't you know that you will still need to keep your private key safe as well because if the hardware wallet get damaged you can still have access to your funds? hardware wallets can spoil as well
No, it's a bit different. With hardware wallet you'll need to press buttons on the wallet for a transaction to go through, and this is secured via a password you set. With a paper wallet it's just a private key or set of words you type in to access the wallet.

zeze18

Activity: 938
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 14, 2019, 08:02:10 AM

Thanks

What do you mean about paper wallets.
Is it the seed that cointains words then you write it on a top of paper or what
I'll add ETH into one of your investment because it's a sure coins that will have a brigt future
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
October 14, 2019, 08:55:49 AM

Bitaddress is relatively trusted, but it doesn't currently support segwit. There is an offline segwit address generator. You can test these individually.

tools such as "bitaddress" could be viewed as a "private key generator" rather than "address generators". which that distinction they already support any type of script you want to create from your public key. all you have to do is to generate the private key, get the public key of it then convert that into a SegWit address. you can do the last step using any other tool because it is not security-important. it is a simple matter of hashing the compressed public key and putting a 0 before the hash and encoding it with bech32.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: