Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:37:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCPay Server and missing transactions. Help!  (Read 167 times)
reymed (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 08:19:28 PM

Hi there,

I am using electrum wallet and I'm using BTCPayServer to receive payments / pay button to generate invoices.

All was working fine for about 20 transactions, I could see transactions coming in just fine. Past couple days, however, I can see transactions going through in BTCPayServer but I don't see these transactions in my Electrum wallet anymore. I even switched networks to make sure wallet is syncing properly but no luck. I am a newbie with BTC and BTCPayServer and don't know where to start looking.

I can definitely see the transactions made it to blockchain and have some confirmations, eg.
https://blockstream.info/tx/599e1290a9577c831537ff8d2739da5e98dbf9866abc279f2236045b14a8a46d

I also see the deposit addresses but I can't tell if payment would go to my wallet or not. BTCPayServer Pay Button uses my wallet public key to generate an invoice every time someone clicks Pay. The deposit address should be mine and, as I mentioned, was working for about 20 transactions but I am no longer seeing any transactions in Electrum wallet.

With my rusty knowledge of crypto I have a few guesses:
1) BTCPayServer store has some issue where the deposit address is sending funds elsewhere and not my wallet.
2) Electrum wallet is not syncing properly so I can't see the funds that are actually mine.

As I continue investigating I'm thinking (1) is more likely. Public key in store seems fine and has not been tampered with. I would like to somehow validate that deposit address is actually going to my wallet or not. I can wait to see if they eventually sync but with many confirmations I assume they should already appear in my wallet.

If someone know what the problem could be please let me know. I know I can set up a new store and try a different wallet but the same thing might happen again. It would be great if I can understand what is going on.

Thank you so much!
Tim

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 08:24:05 PM

As long as you have downloaded the official open source software and not through some other resource then all the code is transparent and accessible by anyone so it would be unlikely that the software is compromised. However this does not prevent your specific website/code from being compromised. I'm assuming that to change anything relating to the deposit address admin privileges would be needed. Check whether there has been any unauthorized access and any changes to the code. If this is not the case then there must be a mistake in configuration and without seeing your specific configuration it would be difficult to find a cause.

Where did you download the software from?
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6269

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2019, 08:26:38 PM

IIRC electrum only shows the 1st 20 addresses by default.
This may or may not be correct but take a look at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Electrum/comments/a87l42/electrum_how_to_generate_many_recipient_addresses/

Typically you would give out the addresses from the online wallet. The online wallet would know which addresses are used and generate new ones accordingly.

You can of course force either wallet to generate addresses. The easiest way is to change the gap limit to a higher value. You should read about the gap limit to understand what it means. In short, it's the number of consecutive unused addresses the wallet will generate until it stops looking for transactions. By default, it is 20.

If you increase the gap limit, and actually create "gaps" larger than the default gap limit, you will need to increase the gap limit after you restore from seed again; otherwise some coins will not be found!

Go into the Console tab (View>Show Console), and type:

wallet.change_gap_limit(100)

Not 100% sure if this is your issue but since it stopped at 20 for you it seems likely.

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
reymed (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 08:57:20 PM
Merited by BitMaxz (1)

IIRC electrum only shows the 1st 20 addresses by default.
This may or may not be correct but take a look at:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Electrum/comments/a87l42/electrum_how_to_generate_many_recipient_addresses/

Typically you would give out the addresses from the online wallet. The online wallet would know which addresses are used and generate new ones accordingly.

You can of course force either wallet to generate addresses. The easiest way is to change the gap limit to a higher value. You should read about the gap limit to understand what it means. In short, it's the number of consecutive unused addresses the wallet will generate until it stops looking for transactions. By default, it is 20.

If you increase the gap limit, and actually create "gaps" larger than the default gap limit, you will need to increase the gap limit after you restore from seed again; otherwise some coins will not be found!

Go into the Console tab (View>Show Console), and type:

wallet.change_gap_limit(100)

Not 100% sure if this is your issue but since it stopped at 20 for you it seems likely.

-Dave

Thanks very much. Turns out that gap limit was the issue. Found these as well, a bit more in depth what gap limit is:
https://docs.btcpayserver.org/faq-and-common-issues/faq-wallet#missing-payments-in-my-software-or-hardware-wallet
https://blog.blockonomics.co/bitcoin-what-is-this-gap-limit-4f098e52d7e1
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2970

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2019, 10:50:34 PM

Actually, if you follow their guide carefully on how to make a wallet for BTCpayserver you will not experience this issue because they added this if how much gap limit you need to put. If you have a big merchant shop you need to increase the gap 500 above.

Look at this how they make an Electrum wallet for BTCserver: Electrum Wallet Setup for BTCpayserver

I suggest you read their docs carefully so that you won't experience any issues.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████