Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:07:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tips & Insight For All Bounty Hunters  (Read 356 times)
Brybro27 (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 11

Bounty Management - t.me/Brybro

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2019, 07:59:25 PM
Merited by tk808 (4), Anonylz (1), Ferris419 (1)

A little over two weeks ago, I created a post on here, asking what bounty hunters look for in a bounty campaign. You can view that post here if interested.

I received a significant number of responses with valuable insight on what key components bounty hunters look for before participating in a bounty campaign. However, after reading all the responses and striking conversation with some of the users, I realized that the majority of bounty hunters are unaware of why some bounty campaigns, and startups, are structured the way they are.

For example, about 90% of bounty hunters on here stated that a bounty campaign that requires KYC is an instant red flag, with most just completely ignoring it instantly. I understand why this is the case, but what I don't think bounty hunters understand is why some startups require it, and some don't.

So, I wanted to take some time out to explain from a bounty manager perspective, and now a member of a new startup perspective, why these campaigns have these certain requirements and are structured the way they are.

PLEASE NOTE: This post doesn't reflect all bounty campaigns accurately as everyone varies by startup. Also, this post is assuming the bounty campaign and the startup behind it is legitimate and not a scam![/b]

Know Your Customer (KYC)
I'm not an expert on this by no means, but I'd be cautious of a project that doesn't require KYC in order to participate in their bounty campaign. Different jurisdictions have provided regulatory guidance recently and activities that used to be allowed in this industry in the past 1-2 years are now not allowed anymore. These projects that don't require KYC are either not aware, are not being careful, and/or have not done their due diligence. Those who do require KYC, require it because they've taken the necessary steps in order to determine who can and can't participate in their crowdsale/bounty campaign.

I understand that performing KYC for any project is concerning as you are giving up your personal information to an unknown startup, however, it is very necessary if that startup wants to legally abide by all the jurisdictions and regulations. So my advice is that you get to know the team and determine if they are trustworthy before even participating in the bounty campaign. Join their Telegram Group and strike up a conversation on KYC and why they determined it to be required or not required. Their responses on this topic will help you validate their credibility and trustworthiness in my mind.

Bounty Campaign Reward Pool (KYC)
Obviously, the higher the reward is, the more enticing it is to participate in hopes of claiming that reward. However, I noticed a large number of hunters look at the total tokens allocated to the bounty campaign before participating. This makes sense if the bounty campaign is staked-based, because then the total tokens allocated factors in to how many tokens will be rewarded for each completed task. However, a lot of hunters stated that the reward pool matters for even fixed-based campaigns.

My input on all this is that this shouldn't be a determining factor like it is for most. From my experience, startups will try to offer the most tokens as possible upon creating a bounty campaign because they know that the more tokens normally results in the most participation. However, there has to be a limit to the number of tokens offered by each startup.

If a bounty campaign has a smaller reward pool than most, it is most likely due to one of the following reasons:
* They plan on holding at least one or more bounty campaigns or contests
* They want to limit the effect of the everyone dumping the token once it hits the market

I'd be cautious about big reward pools because that usually results in a large dump as soon as the token hits the market. Bounty hunters tend to sell as soon as they can so the more tokens rewarded, the more tokens that will be dumped. So if you want to hold the tokens you receive, you may want to look for those that hand out less tokens. I know it sounds odd, but it just makes that project more valuable.

Reward Per Task
Again, most startups want to reward you as much as possible for a completed task, however, they also want to maximize the participation received as well. In order to do this, rewards must be reasonable unless there will be little participation with a large pot of rewards. However, if the task is a content related task, and the quality of work is more than exceptional, the team will most likely reward you more than stated on the bounty campaign. Any bounty hunter that is willing to spend the time to create a high quality piece of work will definitely be generously rewarded. So if you are looking for a high reward, I recommend taking the time out to do the necessary research and due diligence so that you can create value for the startup.

Unknown Distribution Date
Having a known distribution date is a big bonus for bounty hunters for reassurance purposes, however, if there isn't a set distribution date, I recommend learning why before you just ignore the bounty campaign.

Many startups hold bounty campaigns in order to increase their exposure for their crowdsale. Those that hold a bounty campaign during their pre-sale or private sale most likely won't have a distribution date because they don't want to force a strict deadline for their sales. The crowdsale determines how successful a startup will be as it funds their development for X amount of years. For this reason, startups want to maximize the amount of funds they receive as best as possible, and in order to do so, they normally leave the pre-sale or private sale rounds open until they deem necessary. As a result, a distribution date can't be set for a bounty campaign until these rounds are officially closed, and once the public sale rounds are announced.

Words Of Wisdom
The ICO/STO/IEO world is growing every day, but so are the elaborate scams. So to finish this post, I just wanted to provide my insight on how I deem a project and their team legitimate or not!

1) Join the Telegram Group and start asking questions!
If a startup is legitimate, then they will value their community and try to answer any questions as quickly and honestly as possible. So by asking questions on the team, the project, the crowdsale, etc..., you can easily learn how committed and knowledgeable the team is. The biggest red flag is if the Telegram group isn't being moderated and you never receive a response from your questions!

2) Don't base your decisions on influencers or listing sites - Do Your Own Research!
Anyone can get an influencer or listing site to promote their project as long as they pay the right amount. For this reason, they can basically get anything published whether it is true or not. This is why I caution everyone when reading ratings or comments on a startup; not all of them may be credible.

To be safe, just do your own research. Review the website, look at the team and their background's, closely read through the whitepaper. Do a thorough review of the project before deciding to join their bounty campaign or crowdsale. If you don't spend at least an hour reviewing the project, you didn't do a good enough job.

3) Don't be afraid to get involved in a project
This doesn't necessarily relate to determining whether a project is legitimate or not, but I just wanted to get this out there anyways. Don't be afraid to ask a startup if any positions are open, or if you can help promote the project. Outside of bounty campaigns, a startup is always looking for more ways to get their name out to as many people as possible. If you are really committed to a project, reach out to the team and tell them how you think you can help. Most teams are willing to hear at least what you have to offer, and if deemed of value, you could earn extra tokens or even a role with the team! The best part, asking to get involved has zero consequences!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any comments or arguments against any of these, feel free to get the conversation going below in the comments!

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!

Ailmand

Activity: 1274
Merit: 519

Coindragon.com 30% Cash Back

View Profile
October 07, 2019, 08:10:56 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2019, 10:06:21 PM by Ailmand

Wow, younsurely took your time compiling this information and still I found this very informative. You do have a nice input there. Most bounty hunters would just depend what bounty to join depending on what is famous or who the manager is or sometimes where their friends are. In my own opinion it is good to have your own way and research where to join and look closely on the regulation, distribution and any other rule that applies to the bounty which you think will be convenient for you. Remember that you will be devoting your time and effort promoting a project so make it worth it.

Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 07, 2019, 08:33:10 PM

Wow, younsurely took your time compiling this information and still I found this very informative. You do have a nice input there. Most bounty hunters would just depend what bounty to join depending on what is famous or who the manager is or sometimes qhere their friends are. In my own opinion it is good to have your own way and research where to join and look closely on the regulation, distribution and any other rule that applies to the bounty which you think will be convenient for you. Remember that you will be devoting your time and effort promoting a project so make it worth it.

Yep, this is just what I've experienced after working in this sector for almost a year and a half!

I agree, participating in a famous or highly reputable bounty campaign is a common theme that you can't really go wrong with doing. However, you can't quite expect to receive a decent reward from these campaigns due to their wide-exposure and large participation. The real hidden gems are the ones that most people glance over and don't pay much attention too. If you do your research and determine there to be real use-cases for the project, you should participate in it!

cichaescut
Copper Member

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

SYNCHROBIT

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 01:14:10 PM

Great work mate! I hope this would help new hunters to understand how things are done. Besides, I am getting more and more disappointed with bounty campaigns in general and believe that someday we would finally get good rewards.

Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 02:12:37 PM

Great work mate! I hope this would help new hunters to understand how things are done. Besides, I am getting more and more disappointed with bounty campaigns in general and believe that someday we would finally get good rewards.

Thank you very much!

I don't mean to turn this post into a marketing post, however, if you are looking for a new bounty campaign to participate in, I recommend checking out the most recent one I'm managing. The project is called PlanChain and runs on the VeChainThor blockchain. They are still new and very early in their pre-sale stages, but they look to have a promising project and team, so I personally think they are going to do well.

Give it a look and let me know if you have any questions!

PlanChain Bounty Program

Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 02:30:22 PM

Especially the number one option on words of wisdom - Join the Telegram Group and start asking questions- most hunters don't find it necessary to join the telegram group of the project they supposedly support, some only join when telegram is made mandatory for all participants otherwise they won't join to follow up on relevant update that could give a clue how serious that project is or appear to be, it is always good to join the telegram group of any project you are supporting to gain more closure about the project, from this group you can tell if the team are active or not, and other helpful hints.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
Bttzed03
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149

https://bitcoincleanup.com/

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 02:54:39 PM

Know Your Customer (KYC)
I'm not an expert on this by no means, but I'd be cautious of a project that doesn't require KYC in order to participate in their bounty campaign. Different jurisdictions have provided regulatory guidance recently and activities that used to be allowed in this industry in the past 1-2 years are now not allowed anymore. These projects that don't require KYC are either not aware, are not being careful, and/or have not done their due diligence. Those who do require KYC, require it because they've taken the necessary steps in order to determine who can and can't participate in their crowdsale/bounty campaign.

I understand that performing KYC for any project is concerning as you are giving up your personal information to an unknown startup, however, it is very necessary if that startup wants to legally abide by all the jurisdictions and regulations. So my advice is that you get to know the team and determine if they are trustworthy before even participating in the bounty campaign. Join their Telegram Group and strike up a conversation on KYC and why they determined it to be required or not required. Their responses on this topic will help you validate their credibility and trustworthiness in my mind.

This is a good observation but I guess you are still unaware of some campaigns who are misusing this KYC verification.

You can refer to this thread for context https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5189364.0

Some campaign start out with no KYC but they suddenly decided to implement it towards the end of the campaign. They are not required by law in their country to conduct KYC for a utility token but they still claim it's for "legal purposes" when in fact the actual purpose is to weed out bounty cheaters.
Ken_terrance

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 03:01:44 PM

Wow this is a well written info about bounties, bounty hunters should put away fear when engaging any bounty project, after doing your own part like better researches just be strong and brave, crypto bounties are unpredictable, sometimes the least project you expected to turn out well will be the one that will pay you on the long run

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 03:04:54 PM

Know Your Customer (KYC)

This is a good observation but I guess you are still unaware of some campaigns who are misusing this KYC verification.

You can refer to this thread for context https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5189364.0

Some campaign start out with no KYC but they suddenly decided to implement it towards the end of the campaign. They are not required by law in their country to conduct KYC for a utility token but they still claim it's for "legal purposes" when in fact the actual purpose is to weed out bounty cheaters.

Again, this is why I said to be cautious when participating in a bounty campaign that doesn't require KYC. At least for campaigns that require it straight off the bat, you know they won't pull any quick ones on you.

In this case, KYC was stated to weed out the multiple/fake accounts, which is actually the best use-case for KYC in bounty campaigns. However, this project definitely had the intention of throwing in this requirement last minute in order to reduce the total rewarded tokens as a decent amount of hunters probably didn't notice it was required in time.

Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 03:15:09 PM

Especially the number one option on words of wisdom - Join the Telegram Group and start asking questions- most hunters don't find it necessary to join the telegram group of the project they supposedly support, some only join when telegram is made mandatory for all participants otherwise they won't join to follow up on relevant update that could give a clue how serious that project is or appear to be, it is always good to join the telegram group of any project you are supporting to gain more closure about the project, from this group you can tell if the team are active or not, and other helpful hints.

Exactly! Communicating with the team in the Telegram Group gives you a much better understanding of the team over looking them up on LinkedIn or any other resource. It also just gives you a better understanding of the project itself and can help you determine if you want to participate fully with the project or not. Telegram is the main point of contact for startups in this sector and if you really want to get a firsthand glance of what a project is and how it will perform, the Telegram group will provide that.

imutlinda

Activity: 926
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 03:26:51 PM

Exactly! Communicating with the team in the Telegram Group gives you a much better understanding of the team over looking them up on LinkedIn or any other resource. It also just gives you a better understanding of the project itself and can help you determine if you want to participate fully with the project or not. Telegram is the main point of contact for startups in this sector and if you really want to get a firsthand glance of what a project is and how it will perform, the Telegram group will provide that.
The telegram community can also be used as an assessment of the activeness of developers in updating their projects and I think developers will be more active in telegrams compared to other social media. And it can be said that the telegram community is the most updated information connector because you can directly ask the developer while other social media are usually managed again by several teams
DDante

Activity: 434
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 03:36:18 PM

The fastest way to detect how serious a project team are is asking them challenging questions on telegram, if you are good at this you will find answers in no time, some teams have bad intent and some have good intent but stay away from teams that are not 100% opened to questions, they are always dangerous
zeze18

Activity: 938
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 03:40:02 PM

The fastest way to detect how serious a project team are is asking them challenging questions on telegram, if you are good at this you will find answers in no time, some teams have bad intent and some have good intent but stay away from teams that are not 100% opened to questions, they are always dangerous

But just doing this also not enough, there are many crypto people that able to speak about their project very clearly and very fluently. But they just know how to talk but they cannot implement their idea
TanakabZX

Activity: 504
Merit: 16

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 03:44:32 PM

The more disappointed you are it seems you aren't ready to quit, i see you are promoting synchrobit project, some bounty projects are just bad but if you learn from your mistakes you will get better at picking projects to promote

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Furryball

Activity: 490
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 04:06:09 PM

i have promoted lots of bounties through other bounty platforms like bountyminer and bountyhub but the rewards are very low yet i am glad i don't promote scam projects, the rewards are so low that they are like when you receiving tokens from airdrops campaigns but its better than none, doing research helps me a lot and histories of past bounties help me as well

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 04:07:07 PM

But just doing this also not enough, there are many crypto people that able to speak about their project very clearly and very fluently. But they just know how to talk but they cannot implement their idea

That is why joining the Telegram group should just be the first step in evaluating a new project. You should still do your own due diligence in any other way you please. But engaging with the team on Telegram should definitely be the first step.

Strongkored
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1112

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 04:26:33 PM

Know Your Customer (KYC)
-snip-

KYC has become a lot of debate and there are always those who agree and disagree.
Doing KYC for an exchange I don't mind, but not for bounties.
I disagree if someone said Bounty that requires KYC to be considered a legitimate bounty, because KYC and development project are different things
Indeed, many have suggested KYC to reduce participants who commit fraud but prociding personal information for something that has not been seen to be a value is foolish, security of personal information is more expensive than a bounty prize.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
DarkDays
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1189

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 04:42:26 PM

I think it would be useful if bounty hunters actually collaborated and formed a list of questions that could be provided to projects that have an ongoing bounty campaign. This would save the incessant questions in the bounty chat, such as when distribution, why no payment etc.

Such a resource would save the time of not only thousands of bounty hunters, but also all the projects that have to answer the same questions repeatedly, while also giving hunters a good way to separate the trash projects from the good.
Brybro27 (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 05:36:37 PM

Know Your Customer (KYC)
-snip-

KYC has become a lot of debate and there are always those who agree and disagree.
Doing KYC for an exchange I don't mind, but not for bounties.
I disagree if someone said Bounty that requires KYC to be considered a legitimate bounty, because KYC and development project are different things
Indeed, many have suggested KYC to reduce participants who commit fraud but prociding personal information for something that has not been seen to be a value is foolish, security of personal information is more expensive than a bounty prize.

You make a very valid point. Depending on your stance on giving up your personal information, it varies if you are willing to participate in a bounty campaign or not. A lot of people complain that bounty rewards are too low to begin with, so performing KYC definitely isn't worth it for some chump change in tokens.

However, bounty campaigns are aimed to attract not only followers, but actual investors. I've participated in only a couple of campaigns, but each one I also invested in as well. So performing KYC in these situations weren't an issue for me.

So again, depends on what your goal is with a bounty campaign and how protective you are with your personal information. Unfortunately, most of our personal information has already been exposed by other means so you may not be protecting something that you think is actually private.

CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2019, 06:06:58 PM

nice writeup man, i owe u some merit, im out right now Tongue

In my experience it has always amazed me at the price people place on their personal information
They don't seem to realize identify theft is REAL, and you could be a victim and never know until your credit companies freeze your accounts for weird activity
I avoid KYC, except for established exchanges, im too paranoid haha

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: