Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:02:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here running any Bitcoin ATMs?  (Read 464 times)
coffeenoworidie (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 11:32:28 PM

Maybe I'm a little late to the game in trying to get a Bitcoin ATM business started, but I've started to see a few buy-only ATMs popping up in my area so I figure there's plenty of room for growth. But as I've been searching for Bitcoin ATM manufacturers, I've found only a few that look like they have good products and a customer service desk that's worth anything. I've already crossed one company off of my list because their customer service number has a perpetual busy signal even in the middle of the night, and it took three or four days to get even a basic response from them by e-mail about ATM details and operation. When I asked if they had any ATMs that allowed crypto purchase via credit or debit card, I got a one-word reply, "no", and when I replied that I thought they were being very shortsighted by not offering a credit/debit card option for customers, they said "thank you for your feedback" and that was the end of the e-mail. Not the level of responsiveness I'm looking for in a company that wants my money.

So now I'm paring down the list of ATM manufacturers that seem to have a good product and seem to give a rip about customer service, and I'm hoping to purchase my first Bitcoin ATM by early in the new year. Of the two current ATMs I've seen in my town so far, one (CoinFlip) doesn't sell their ATMs to outside parties, and the other is a Genesis Coin model that looks like it's in the $11K retail range, which is a bit more than I can afford to shell out just starting out. Any advice on what I should do (or not do) and things to consider starting off would be greatly appreciated.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 01:52:27 AM

I heard that running an ATM for Bitcoin or cryptocurrency can be a good business proposition especially if one can achieve a good traffic or customers. Someone said to me that this can be a booming business and in fact there had been some crowdfunded projects that focused on this business and when I just checked one which I supported early this year I think they are doing fine. As more and more people can be adopting cryptocurrency, this industry can be booming just like the traditional ATM business which is already a permanent option for the many. Lat year, in one of the other forums where I was a member of, someone PMed me about ATM machines and he shared that he was doing business with this ATM-focused platform. Maybe you can get over with them and who knows you might like what they are offering. I don't have any personal knowledge nor any relationship with that site and I am sharing it to you here as one of your possible choices.
DaftAjax

Activity: 532
Merit: 284

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 02:36:11 AM

1) ~snip...I got a one-word reply, "no".....they said "thank you for your feedback"

So now I'm paring down the list of ATM manufacturers that seem to have a good product and seem to give a rip about customer service, and I'm hoping to purchase my first Bitcoin ATM by early in the new year. Of the two current ATMs I've seen in my town so far, one (CoinFlip) doesn't sell their ATMs to outside parties, and the other is a Genesis Coin model that looks like it's in the $11K retail range, which is a bit more than I can afford to shell out just starting out. Any advice on what I should do (or not do) and things to consider starting off would be greatly appreciated.

1) It sounds like a bot to me.

2) I was going to say, "give it a little time" but I'm not sure, because what if this kind of "business" resulted in positive feedback, you're going to be too late, and if this resulted in negative feedback, you're going to have extreme losses. But what the heck, every business is a risk. As of now, as you stated, that 2 Bitcoin ATMs don't sell very well, only means that it's either doesn't have that much "exposure" to the public or the company doesn't do any advertisement on their business at all. Try it and give it a shot, maybe you can make a difference.

|████████████████████████████
██████▀  ▀█████████▀ ▀██████
████▀      ▀█████▀     ▀████
███▀        ▀███         ███
███▄        ▄████▄     ▄████
██████▀  ▀█████████▄ ▄██████
████████████████████████████
████▀▀▀██▀▀▀██████▀   ▀█████
███          █████▄   ▄█████
███▄        ▄███▀  ▀ ▀  ▀███
████▄      ▄████▄  ▄ ▄  ▄███
███████▄▄██████████▄▄▄██████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
▄█████████▀    ▄████▀   ▄██▀
 ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████████████████  █████
██████████▀ ▀███████████████
▄███████▀     ▀██████  ████▄
███████         ████████████
▀███████▄     ▄██████  ████▀
██████████▄ ▄███████████████
█████████████████████  █████

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄████████████▀  ▄███▀  ▄███▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|         ▄▄████▄▄       
     ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄   
 ▄▄█████▀▀      ▀▀█████▄▄
████▀▀              ▀▀████
███       ▄▄████▄▄     ███
███   ▄▄█████▀▀█████▄▄ ███
███▄█████▀▀      ▀▀███████
█████▀▀    ▀█████▀   ▀▀███
███         ▀█▀▀███▄▄    ▀
████▄▄            ▀▀███▄ 
 ▀▀█████▄▄      ▄▄█████▀ 
     ▀▀█████▄▄█████▀▀     
         ▀▀████▀▀         
Acewins.io|████████████████████████████
██████████  ██  ████████████
████████         ▀██████████
██████████  ████▄  █████████
██████████  ████▀  █████████
██████████          ▀███████
██████████  ███████  ███████
████████▀▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄███████
████████▄▄  ▄▄  ▄▄▄█████████
██████████▄▄██▄▄████████████
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████
|||
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 03:06:11 AM

I heard that running an ATM for Bitcoin or cryptocurrency can be a good business proposition especially if one can achieve a good traffic or customers. Someone said to me that this can be a booming business and in fact there had been some crowdfunded projects that focused on this business and when I just checked one which I supported early this year I think they are doing fine. As more and more people can be adopting cryptocurrency, this industry can be booming just like the traditional ATM business which is already a permanent option for the many. Lat year, in one of the other forums where I was a member of, someone PMed me about ATM machines and he shared that he was doing business with this ATM-focused platform. Maybe you can get over with them and who knows you might like what they are offering. I don't have any personal knowledge nor any relationship with that site and I am sharing it to you here as one of your possible choices.
Before thinking about starting your own Bitcoin ATM business it is good to find what all the consequences needs to be faced. It requires lot of licensing process and those are not much used now because of the increased transaction fee. Recently came across an article from which understood very few are using bitcoin ATM. This is from an author who has shared his experience in Japan where it is believed to have the largest number of bitcoin ATMs in use. Bitcoin ATMs in Tokyo — There Aren’t Any
hotmom

Activity: 69
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 08:14:52 AM

I do not like to work with bitcoin ATM so I can not give good advice
CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 09:34:24 AM

Before thinking about starting your own Bitcoin ATM business it is good to find what all the consequences needs to be faced. It requires lot of licensing process and those are not much used now because of the increased transaction fee. Recently came across an article from which understood very few are using bitcoin ATM. This is from an author who has shared his experience in Japan where it is believed to have the largest number of bitcoin ATMs in use. Bitcoin ATMs in Tokyo — There Aren’t Any

This is expected as the government is making sure that the industry will not be run by scammers and frauds. This is money involving here so either the ATM has to pass the regulatory requirements of a money exchanger or as a pseudo-bank which can be stricter and tighter to pass. Implementing the legal guidelines is for the sake of the consumers so they will not be hoodwinked into money scams or similar schemes which might use the ATM business as just a front or as a magnet to attract victims. However, no matter how strict, there will be some that will really qualify to do business. A good idea is for the government to approve a franchising scheme where those who are interested to be in the Bitcoin ATM business can be under a big operator but as always strict implementation of the rules must be observed. There is actually a big potential of this business and years from now there is a big possibility that some banks are already leading this industry.

coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 09:39:17 AM

Lamassu is a little out of my price range at the moment. If I can get a two-way ATM for under $3,000, I will be very happy.
coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 10:43:09 AM

1) ~snip...I got a one-word reply, "no".....they said "thank you for your feedback"

1) It sounds like a bot to me.

2) I was going to say, "give it a little time" but I'm not sure, because what if this kind of "business" resulted in positive feedback, you're going to be too late, and if this resulted in negative feedback, you're going to have extreme losses. But what the heck, every business is a risk. As of now, as you stated, that 2 Bitcoin ATMs don't sell very well, only means that it's either doesn't have that much "exposure" to the public or the company doesn't do any advertisement on their business at all. Try it and give it a shot, maybe you can make a difference.
I'd rather get in on the front end of an industry with huge potential and not make much of a profit starting off than miss the boat once it does start to boom. Early adopters in industries such as this need to have lots of patience, and thankfully I have lots of patience. And a day job to pay the bills in the meantime.
coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 11:02:08 AM

A close friend of mine is a CPA and she is fully aware of what I'm doing and she has offered to do the required paperwork for this venture. She is well-versed in AML requirements.

Some of you will think I'm crazy for what really sparked the idea to start my own Bitcoin ATM business, but in a way it makes perfect sense. My wife and I have been self-employed for several years and unfortunately have fallen a bit behind on our federal taxes, currently approaching $30,000 that we owe Uncle Sam. AML issues notwithstanding, I'm willing to go through the steps in getting this ATM business up and running and give most of my business income to the government for now to help pay off what I owe the IRS. Call me crazy, but I'm willing to try this to keep the IRS from escalating collection efforts.
Astvile

Activity: 1484
Merit: 276

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 11:22:53 AM

Bitcoin ATM isn't that easy to build as a business. You need to conduct a study on how many bitcoin/crypto users are around your area where you'll be placing your machine. Without knowing this kind of stuff you're not to fit to stand a bitcoin ATM machine not until you gather enough information that your business may bloom. It doesn't work like there's only few machines out there If I place one I can profit.

[ monero.cx ]        CREATE A NEW EXCHANGE
  Contact Us            PGP Key            Mirror URLs  |
████████████EXCHANGE ████████████
coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 11:30:28 AM

Bitcoin ATM isn't that easy to build as a business. You need to conduct a study on how many bitcoin/crypto users are around your area where you'll be placing your machine. Without knowing this kind of stuff you're not to fit to stand a bitcoin ATM machine not until you gather enough information that your business may bloom. It doesn't work like there's only few machines out there If I place one I can profit.
I realize it's not easy trying to build a business like this, but given the fact that a lot of crypto buyers don't want people to know they're buying crypto, surveying potential users isn't a cut-and-dry thing. And I've read news articles stating that some people who are buying crypto haven't even told their significant other that they're buying crypto...so what makes me think they'd tell a total stranger whose motives they don't know whether they have crypto or not?

I've talked to people in the two stores locally with Bitcoin ATMs (a vape shop and a 24-hour convenience store), and they have told me they get a small but steady stream of people using the ATMs.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 11:48:58 AM

Maybe I'm a little late to the game in trying to get a Bitcoin ATM business started, but I've started to see a few buy-only ATMs popping up in my area so I figure there's plenty of room for growth. But as I've been searching for Bitcoin ATM manufacturers, I've found only a few that look like they have good products and a customer service desk that's worth anything. I've already crossed one company off of my list because their customer service number has a perpetual busy signal even in the middle of the night, and it took three or four days to get even a basic response from them by e-mail about ATM details and operation. When I asked if they had any ATMs that allowed crypto purchase via credit or debit card, I got a one-word reply, "no", and when I replied that I thought they were being very shortsighted by not offering a credit/debit card option for customers, they said "thank you for your feedback" and that was the end of the e-mail. Not the level of responsiveness I'm looking for in a company that wants my money.

I'm personally not a BTC ATM owner or am that experienced with them to be honest, but I've had quite a lot of experience with crypto businesses, and I'll personally never buy or use a product if the support team behind it was only able to be reached via email.

Go for the Genesis one, and talk things through with them, make sure they are helpful and will deal with issues the ATM's might end up having.

Where are you thinking about putting these ATMS? It might be risky putting it in some areas.

DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10759

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2019, 11:50:26 AM

I figure you’ve done your base groundwork, but just in case, I’d also run through all available information at https://coinatmradar.com/how-to-start-bitcoin-atm-business (not all reports are recent though), and since you are in the USA I presume, I’d go through the lists of operators in your area (and others that are willing to expand). For example, there are currently around 10 operators in Chicago behind 263 BATMs. There’s also a section on the site with first and second hand ATMs, but it looks pretty outdated and scarce on the ATMs from manufacturers list.

Looking over some published prices, finding a new two way BATM for under 3K$ may be a feat, and perhaps a second hand one may comply. Even so, one would need to match the price against features and support.

This week I stumbled upon a different sort of device, a BTM, that is being sold at least in some South American countries (see re: First Bitcoin ATM in Venezuela). A BTM has a different business model though, since it requires a shop assistant to perform the TX, thus part losing the anonymity that you get using a BATM as a customer.
jake zyrus

Activity: 798
Merit: 121

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 03:08:57 PM

Any advice on what I should do (or not do) and things to consider starting off would be greatly appreciated.
I can't help you with the ATM thingy since I haven't even seen one personally nor tried it. And I also have no plan of it as a business but you should also consider the popularity of bitcoin in your place. Whether there are a lot of users that might use your ATM or not. Start your planning before purchasing one. It's always better to start with a plan. Estimate if you'll be able to gain profit from it, how big is the possible profit, and the time.

MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2019, 04:12:02 PM

We have a nice Bitcoin ATM in my hometown of Asheville, NC at Firestorm Books!
bitzizzix

Activity: 2380
Merit: 448

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 04:18:06 PM

In the country where I live, I have not yet found a bitcoin ATM and I hope that with the development of bitcoin that is increasingly popular there will be a bitcoin ATM as soon as possible in the country where I live.
but it all depends on how many bitcoin users are in my country.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
kryptqnick
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1385

Join the world-leading crypto sportsbook NOW!

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 04:46:33 PM

I wanted to research the topic a bit, and I saw this article I think might be interesting for you. It has some ideas on making one's own ATM, but apart from that it's about the possibility of making an ATM that supports the Lightning Network, which is something to consider in the long-term perspective because for now, it seems to be the best solution for micro-transactions. I also found this website which you might have come across, but if you haven't, I think you'll find it very useful since it has lots of data on Bitcoin ATM business in one place. It even has the whole page dedicated to buying ATMs which you can find here.
Good luck with the business, and please charge less than they usually do  Smiley The fees in ATMs is the main reason I never use them and prefer local exchanges. If the fee was less than 5%, I would. Perhaps, there are many more people like me, so think about it if it's something you can regulate.

▄▄███████▄███████▄▄▄
 █████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄
███████████████
       ▀▀███▄
███████████████
          ▀███
 █████████████
             ███
███████████▀▀               ███
███                         ███
███                         ███
 ███                       ███
  ███▄                   ▄███
   ▀███▄▄             ▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀▀
         ▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
░░░████▄▄▄▄
░▄▄░
▄▄███████▄▀█████▄▄
██▄████▌▐█▌█████▄██
████▀▄▄▄▌███░▄▄▄▀████
██████▄▄▄█▄▄▄██████
█░███████░▐█▌░███████░█
▀▀██▀░██░▐█▌░██░▀██▀▀
▄▄▄░█▀░█░██░▐█▌░██░█░▀█░▄▄▄
██▀░░░░▀██░▐█▌░██▀░░░░▀██
▀██
█████▄███▀▀██▀▀███▄███████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀
▄▄██████▄▄
▀█▀
█  █▀█▀
  ▄█  ██  █▄  ▄
█ ▄█ █▀█▄▄█▀█ █▄ █
▀▄█ █ ███▄▄▄▄███ █ █▄▀
▀▀ █    ▄▄▄▄    █ ▀▀
   ██████   █
█     ▀▀     █
▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
▄ ██████▀▀██████ ▄
▄████████ ██ ████████▄
▀▀███████▄▄███████▀▀
▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
█████████████LEADING CRYPTO SPORTSBOOK & CASINO█████████████
MULTI
CURRENCY
1500+
CASINO GAMES
CRYPTO EXCLUSIVE
CLUBHOUSE
FAST & SECURE
PAYMENTS
..PLAY NOW!..
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 06:10:06 PM

I  am not running ATM business now but have doing some search about it on how  we can start  this bitcoin ATM Machine.  I spoke with some expert and he recommended me to  go  for legal  advice  first  and the least cost  to  get  1 Machine was $6000.  I am still working out to get details by 2020  i might  install my first bitcoin ATM  machine too .

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2019, 12:46:59 AM

I figure you’ve done your base groundwork, but just in case, I’d also run through all available information at https://coinatmradar.com/how-to-start-bitcoin-atm-business (not all reports are recent though), and since you are in the USA I presume, I’d go through the lists of operators in your area (and others that are willing to expand). For example, there are currently around 10 operators in Chicago behind 263 BATMs. There’s also a section on the site with first and second hand ATMs, but it looks pretty outdated and scarce on the ATMs from manufacturers list.

Looking over some published prices, finding a new two way BATM for under 3K$ may be a feat, and perhaps a second hand one may comply. Even so, one would need to match the price against features and support.

This week I stumbled upon a different sort of device, a BTM, that is being sold at least in some South American countries (see re: First Bitcoin ATM in Venezuela). A BTM has a different business model though, since it requires a shop assistant to perform the TX, thus part losing the anonymity that you get using a BATM as a customer.

The thought ran through my head for a moment about trying to become a business partner with an existing Bitcoin ATM business, but given the legal implications of working with someone I don't know in a business under intense government scrutiny, I've abandoned that idea. I've chatted with a couple close friends about whether they want to join me in some aspect of this business, but they're not to that point yet.
coffeenoworidie (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2019, 12:55:59 AM

Any advice on what I should do (or not do) and things to consider starting off would be greatly appreciated.
I can't help you with the ATM thingy since I haven't even seen one personally nor tried it. And I also have no plan of it as a business but you should also consider the popularity of bitcoin in your place. Whether there are a lot of users that might use your ATM or not. Start your planning before purchasing one. It's always better to start with a plan. Estimate if you'll be able to gain profit from it, how big is the possible profit, and the time.
As I mentioned above, any profits I make from the ATM will be going directly to the IRS for the foreseeable future because my wife and I are trying to pay down a not-insubstantial amount that we owe in taxes. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking this will be an easy business venture by which to pay our personal tax debt, but we're willing to try it. If we have crazy success beyond paying our tax debt by this means, that's just icing on the cake.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: