Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 09:08:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Bitmain Strategy For The Future. Price/ROI.
Op is correct on Bitmain Strategy! - 4 (50%)
Op is delusional on Bitmain Strategy! - 1 (12.5%)
Bitmain would never do such! - 1 (12.5%)
Mining is deader than dead! Moot! - 1 (12.5%)
No Viewpoint! - 1 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 8

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Bitmain Hardware Dump 10/13/19. Very ugly at 10c kWh to ROI Ever! POLL!  (Read 514 times)
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 12:56:30 AM
Merited by frodocooper (1)

If I had a 10% failure rate inside 2 years for gear I built, I'd probably quit the business. 10% failures is unacceptable. 1% failures is already irritating.

Y'all almost make me wish I had enough money to build my own solar array and circle back around to hosting. My facility (8.9c flat rate, no contract, free VPN and the like) officially turned off on October 1.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 01:20:20 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2019, 03:23:16 AM by frodocooper

Well, looking at the above using the current prices...for a 6-month plan...the difference from what I can tell paying on their 6-month plan is about $120 vs around 9.5-10c kWh and the rate above mentioned of 0.00735 above....(check my math) ballpark figure, however, we are talking about say $240 a year or $20 bucks a month average more or less, kinda sorta..on the above 6-month plan...I mean really? Big friggin whoop. So the elephant in the room is the cost of mining equipment and tariff and of course cost of a coin (BTC) vs BTC out and of course risk...when contemplating getting a miner. Again, at $120 in electric for 6 months...stay frigging away!

So from what I can tell, this thread and me being the OP is likely MOOT...on this topic..even more so when you add the tariff...likely we need ASIC's of the 5nm or 3nm variety well into 2020 before anyone can make a case for mining anymore. Assuming the price of BTC  is back to say $15k vs difficulty and such to likely even make that do'able for the small miner folk.

So, from a new miner perspective and no tariff by say Saturday...for the cost savings talked about....you're a lot better off just HODL'ing coin now than at any time in the past. With pre-orders of 2-4 months, no consequences for late delivery, the likelihood that the BTC will pump that you spent on a miner even without the tariff...there are just too many variables for this to make any sense...With electric likely being the lamest barrier of 2c-3c differences as part of this whole non-profit and likely to stay non-profit mining attempt of anybody to ROI well into the future. It is as risky a play as I've ever seen since I got into mining in 2013. So again, eye-opening that 2-3c kWh makes so little difference in the whole risk equation of getting ASIC equipment at this time as to be laughable. So anyway, hopefully, this thread is 'helpful' with options and its 2-3c kWh differences in price..to somebody that may be down the block from some data hall at a lower rate or nearby or something. But again, tossed in the blender of all the reasons not to buy... these savings don't amount to beans in even running ASIC's you already own..much less new ASIC's. So anyway, ASIC drought because of this or folk will continue to buy overpriced pre-order ASIC's into the future on a hope and a prayer that price of BTC/Crypto will save their ROI. I find this unlikely indeed.

So anyway, for a frigging $120 a month say, the difference for a 6-month plan in excess..that is the least of everyone's problem with any type of ASIC mining IMHO. So on reflection on above, 'sitting on hands' and 'covering ears' in horror is probably the best option to take on mining anything well into 2020 at least! This whole electricity price question is pretty lame in comparison to all the above. So sad, I really, really, liked ASIC mining. Then again, I used to like 'fast women' as well. Both are unlikely to work out and cost a lot of $$$...so I'd recommend folk pass and look at the electric savings we are talking about in the proper context. That context as I see it now, is we are utterly screwed to ASIC mine as small fry WELL into 2020 and perhaps 2021 or hell, perhaps never. I am distraught. Sad

(sheesh...the above is sooooooo ugly) Sad

end of rant

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 11:11:23 PM

I think it's time for me, and Searing, to think of ourselves as "coal miners" where we are being put out of work by the march to automation, or in this case "industrialization".

Maybe we should appeal to Bitmain to "End the war on home mining!"  Smiley
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
October 17, 2019, 08:06:00 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2019, 02:11:09 AM by frodocooper

I resemble that remark. But again...really..move stuff to Canaday for a say $120 buck savings for a WHOLE 6 months? (see previous posts) With these equipment prices? With rising electric prices for winter rates in the USA from last winter? (Informally, I've been told by a couple of people about 1.5c kWh rise in price on some data halls so far). Then add the WOW rising difficulty and the fact that Bitmain is STILL selling out at what I consider 1/3 too high a price on frigging pre-orders for crying out loud! Then the kiss of death. Add the 27.6% Tariff on any Chinese ASIC miner from China with of course shipping to boot. Add altcoin prices and BTC prices to above and we are well and truly f*ck*d! Well, if once. we were a boat sailing our ASIC's on the Crypto Ocean...now we are a Submarine...limping to ground ourselves on the beach!

I was offered an S9 with $32 buck shipping at $180 the other day. An S9j at $225 with $32 shipping also. Neither makes a bit of sense unless you have cheap electric and are in dire need of a space heater at your say, office cubicle at work, on the bosses dime. I'm so far out of this I'm in another planet!

Man, what a cluster!

Brad

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
jrc209

Activity: 267
Merit: 4

jrc209

View Profile
October 17, 2019, 11:11:15 PM

There are indeed Major companies that have rates of .06c in usa all in with zero other fees and no min on miners you just gotta look around.
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
October 17, 2019, 11:52:21 PM
Last edit: October 18, 2019, 02:12:12 AM by frodocooper

None of the ones that I've been told about have replied by rate. I too have heard about this, but in my experience, back in the day when I could fine such, you needed to have 15-50 miners, some with setup fees of $50 per miner. Again, likely not as harsh now for setup, but still. I have friends that have been locked in or grandfathered in at 8c kWh. They had their data hall raise their fee to 9.5c kWh and they are not giving up their spot. Also, a lot of the 6c kWh have no remote access and very, very sh*ty support. Or again, so it was when I looked 6 months to a year ago for comparisons.

Just may-be the way it is for small miners now. Just saying, I've had one reply (see the thread for the messages above) out of 7 email questions on REAL rates.

Brad

taserz

Activity: 800
Merit: 293

Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 02:00:06 PM

Cryptoboreas has GREAT service and reliability and the cheapest rates in North America...but ALL S9's are now mining at a loss.
My S9's have not even reached roi nearing their second birthday. they will be taken offline very soon.
They performed rather well actually out of 27 S9's with 81 boards I only had 8 boards and two controllers and 2 fans die on me...10% failure rate over 20 months.

If it is your second year that is a lie. All my S9's ROI within 2 months when I got them 2 years ago due to price hike...

Also about 5nm you don't just press print designing the chip is a long process and the technology to make 5nm with a high yield is not that of production quality right now. Why do you think intel and samsung are not doing it right now and they are a massive foundry.

Autotune Firmware for S19 and S19j! Overclock, Underclock, AutoTuning. Asic.to The MOON Increased hashrate, improved power efficiency 30w/TH up to 85th/s!!Mining bitcoin since 2011 • Best nerd decision of my life
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: