Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 02:35:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a Big Fan of Bitcoin, Libra's Chief David Marcus Says  (Read 300 times)
Yaunfitda (OP)

Activity: 2856
Merit: 593

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:01:23 PM
Merited by Kemarit (1), TravelMug (1), CryptopreneurBrainboss (1), Herbert2020 (1)

Damage control on the part of Libra?

During a recent interview to CNBC, a Libra’s co-creator, David Marcus, said that he is a great fan of Bitcoin. Still, he admitted that Libra is going to bear no similarities to it, since BTC is highly volatile.

On the other hand, he admits that if Libra were not backed by fiat currencies, it would not have faced so much resistance from global regulators.

https://u.today/im-a-big-fan-of-bitcoin-libras-chief-david-marcus-says

So he really knows that their back is against the wall here with so many regulators against it.

Anyways, let move on, is Libra goes live next year then so be it. But I'm sure the consensus has spoken that we don't like it.

███████████████████████████████
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████████
█████████████▀▀        ▀▀██████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀              ▀████
██████████▀     ▄▄██▄▄     ▀███
██████████      ██████      ███
██████████▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄███
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄              ▄████
█████████████▄▄        ▄▄██████
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████
|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
SSC NAPOLI
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER
|.ROLLBOTS.|
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████▀████████▀████▄
██████▄▄▄█████▄▄█████████
█████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀█████▀▀█████████
▀█████████▄████████▄████▀
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ROLLBIT COIN
TRADE RLB NOW!
|...PLAY NOW...
Jating

Activity: 2940
Merit: 810

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:08:52 PM

I wouldn't say its damage control, damage has been done and it is beyond repair, most of it's big partners opt to drop out from doing business with them meaning some internal rift has been happening before their released. And this kind of statement won't affect them positively in any form.

Perhaps this is David Marcus, personally opinion and should not be reflective of Libra. It's going to be a uphill battle for them so let's see how they are going to face this backlash.
cichaescut
Copper Member

Activity: 266
Merit: 0

SYNCHROBIT

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:17:23 PM

Libra would be released sooner or later. In my opinion they are too big to fail and they would find somebody that would answer all the questions about regulations and is able to deal with SEC. It is only the matter of time.

dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:22:09 PM

Salvation isn't likely for Libra anytime sooner, knowing that they have already generated enough negative press to keep some of their investors/partners to back out of the partnership and start somewhere else. The public's perception regarding Libra isn't going to change too, for they know that a cryptocurrency is something far from the constraints of centralization and no central body manipulates it in any way, Besides, if the major players in the partnership has already dropped out of the deal, why would the masses still believe knowing that there is something happening behind the scenes that could turn awry for Libra?

CryptoBry

Activity: 1008
Merit: 355

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:34:35 PM

So he really knows that their back is against the wall here with so many regulators against it.

Anyways, let move on, is Libra goes live next year then so be it. But I'm sure the consensus has spoken that we don't like it.

A simple research on this man will reveal that he is actually a known Bitcoin believer even before he worked with Mark Zuckerberg and eventually Libra. So even though some may "hate" the man for his wide involvement with Libra, we could not take out the fact that he was and maybe still is a big fan of Bitcoin. In the first place, there can never be a Libra (or any other altcoin for that matter) today had there been no pioneering efforts done by the people behind Bitcoin.

David Marcus is actually considered as one of the first top Silicon Valley executives to adopt and support bitcoin. In 2013, at the LeWeb conference in Paris, Marcus stated the fact that he is a big fan of bitcoin and owns a stash of it. He called bitcoin a store of value and a distributed ledger. Getting this type of support back in 2013 was pretty exciting and we can tell that David has a sense when it comes to blockchain and cryptocurrencies in particular.”

“Digital Gold,” a book authored by journalist Nathaniel Popper, mentions Marcus alongside the founders of the Gemini digital currency exchange (i.e., Cameron and Tyler Winkelvoss), co-chairman of Fortress Investment Group Peter Briger, and entrepreneur Wences Casares as high-profile technology executives invested in Bitcoin since at least 2013.

brightemo

Activity: 129
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 02:37:25 PM

If so, he should change a lot of things in Libra to make it more like Satoshi vision
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 03:19:27 PM

haha, i am loving the shitshow known as Libra so much lately. this last one is the funniest of all.
basically when Libra started they never even remotely mentioned the starter of all this and the biggest (by far) cryptocrurency, bitcoin. not on their website introducing Libra, not in their talks, not anywhere else.
people kept comparing them like idiots but the owners never did mention it.

now that it is falling apart, and every one of their partners (specially the big ones) are pulling out they are desperately seeking attention and are doing what all the shitcoins do: stick themselves to bitcoin to try and get some hype in name only.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2019, 03:26:08 PM

During a recent interview to CNBC, a Libra’s co-creator, David Marcus, said that he is a great fan of Bitcoin. Still, he admitted that Libra is going to bear no similarities to it, since BTC is highly volatile.

On the other hand, he admits that if Libra were not backed by fiat currencies, it would not have faced so much resistance from global regulators.

i mean he would kinda HAVE to be a fan of BTC in order to place to much risk on copying its tech, no?
seems like hes trying to legitimize his own cash grab by dragging BTC into it with those words lol
but i agree, fuck libra, time will tell where it lands tho, give it a month or 3 Smiley maybe just hype campaign ye

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
ChrisPop
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 03:28:13 PM

David could have said that just to attract sympathy from bitcoin fans. Don't trust anything that a CEO says. Most often than not they will have hidden interests. Libra is going to have its part of the crypto hype as a good amount of facebook users will probably use them.
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2019, 03:31:01 PM

He have always admitted his fascination of bitcoin and has clearly said that Libra is in no way is a competitor to Bitcoin. They want to create a universally accepted legal crypto currency. They want to be a pioneer of new generation of crypto led by companies. Governments are hostile to it as it aims to challenge the fiat rule.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1052

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2019, 03:32:05 PM

anyone who tries to be part in the crypto are always a fan of btc. the project they are creating however isn't that inline with decentralization, facebook is company and of course we can't expect them to have a decentralized project.

Libra would be released sooner or later. In my opinion they are too big to fail and they would find somebody that would answer all the questions about regulations and is able to deal with SEC. It is only the matter of time.

exactly what I thought so SEC just need a lot of money and probably the government want to work side by side with them. a lot won't like it but its their business anymore.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
TrevorS

Activity: 1050
Merit: 377

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 03:38:06 PM

The libra is now under attack, regulators are crushing it from all sides, it is obvious that its leaders, in particular David, will use all possible means to stay afloat.  The fact that Libra announced about 1,500 companies wishing to join it causes me doubts.  Perhaps David is really a fan of bitcoin, but in his case I do not see any other ways than to find support from the crypto community.

▄█████▄
                       ██   ██
  ▄▄▄                  ▀█▄▄▄█▀
▄█████▄                 ▀███▀
███████                   ▀
 ▀███▀
  ▀███                   ▄██
   ████                 ▄██▀
    ████              ▄███▀
     ████▄▄        ▄▄████
      ▀██████▄▄▄▄██████▀
        ▀▀██████████▀▀
            ▀▀▀▀▀▀
||..THE WORLDS FIRST...........
..SOCIAL UTILITY CRYPTO..
|████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████████████▀▀▀█████████
██████ ▀██████▀      ▄██████
██████▄   ▀▀▀        ███████
██████▄             ▄███████
███████▄           ▄████████
██████▀▀▀        ▄██████████
███████▄▄     ▄▄████████████
█████████████▀    ▐█████████
████████████    ▄▄██████████
███████████▀    ▀▀██████████
██████████▌       ██████████
████████████    ████████████
████████████▄  ▄████████████
|█▀▀

█▄▄
▀▀█

▄▄█
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 03:48:56 PM

I wouldn't say its damage control, damage has been done and it is beyond repair, most of it's big partners opt to drop out from doing business with them meaning some internal rift has been happening before their released.
Yeah, those dropouts do not bode well for Libra at all and I think the project is just about as good as dead at this stage. 

He is probably being truthful about being a fan of bitcoin, and I've no doubt that many of the facebook staff feel similarly, else why would they bother coming up with the idea to create Libra?  It seems obvious that they think there's something special about cryptocurrency.  Marcus is also correct about the stable coin aspect of why he thinks the regulators are giving them a hard time.  The gov't doesn't have any problem with new altcoins being created as long as their value moves according to what the market dictates.  But when a corporation is trying to create a new form of money that's based on fiat...yeah, that's a problem in the gov'ts eyes.
spadormie

Activity: 840
Merit: 268

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 03:57:20 PM

I don't think that this could be considered as 'Damage Control.' It's more of saying that the CEO is a big fan of bitcoin. It does not speak on the whole Libra thing. Although what happened with Libra was so damaging. Imagine, you have a project that is backed by many and big backers and then those backers of yours backed from you. With regards with the fan of bitcoin thing, this will not affect Libra project at all. It's just a statement from their CEO.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 04:14:35 PM

exactly what I thought so SEC just need a lot of money and probably the government want to work side by side with them. a lot won't like it but its their business anymore.
The SEC doesn't need money---there is a deeper incentive to block any attempt of Libra to gain ground based on how much of a threat it forms to the financial system, and let me tell you, it forms one heck of a threat.

I would even dare to say that Libra forms more of a threat to the financial system than Bitcoin will in its existence. It's simple impossible to ignore how powerful a company with billions of members are to potentially use a new form of money.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
MathGame

Activity: 168
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 04:38:33 PM

Of course, Mr. Marcus must have liked bitcoin before he and facebook then decide to create their own altcoin called Facebook Libra. Facebook Libra is facing many challenges right now from all over the world from governments (e.g. the United States), organizations (e.g. World Bank), and agencies (e.g. SEC). Libra major backers now want out challenges facing the project such as PayPal, eBay, VISA, and Mastercard.    
crazy-pilot

Activity: 861
Merit: 253

SmartFi - EARN, LEND & TRADE

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2019, 05:04:16 PM

I think Libra will never succeed. The battle between the government of the country and Zuckerberg, obviously who will win. However, there is little chance that Libra will succeed. Let's just see what happens next.

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
...The Open..............
...Lending Platform...
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄██████████▀▀▀▀███████▄
█████████▀        ███████
████████▀        ▄█████████
█████████       ▄▀▀██████████
█████████     ▄▀   ▀█████████
██████████  ▄▀      █████████
█████████▀▀       ▄████████
███████        ▄█████████
▀███████▄▄▄▄██████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.SMARTFI..████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
...Join the SmartFi.....
...Token Sale...
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
smyslov

Activity: 2002
Merit: 269

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 05:10:43 PM

Of course, we don't like it for now, because we haven't seen the impact that it's going to create, many hate Ripple but it's in the third spot, those who hate Libra are very open and vocal about their stance, and don't who wants to buy and support it are just waiting quietly
it has become a waiting game for all of us those who don't want it and those who wants to buy and hodl.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 2147

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 05:11:46 PM

I don't think that this could be considered as 'Damage Control.' It's more of saying that the CEO is a big fan of bitcoin. It does not speak on the whole Libra thing. Although what happened with Libra was so damaging. Imagine, you have a project that is backed by many and big backers and then those backers of yours backed from you. With regards with the fan of bitcoin thing, this will not affect Libra project at all. It's just a statement from their CEO.

It could be damage control if he thought that regulators are more wlecoming of decentralized crypto like Bitcoin, rather than centralized private coin like Libra. This could stem from those Senate hearing when Libra was compared to Bitcoin. It's interesting to see Bitcoin being used as a benchmark by people who understand very little about cryptocurrency, I guess you just can't ignore that it is the original cryptocurrency with huge share of the market and good reputation in terms of safety.
TaliskerDarkStorm

Activity: 1106
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 16, 2019, 05:14:38 PM
Merited by avikz (2)

Thank you David Marcus.

And please feel free to get back your own business which is STEALING USERS PERSONAL DATA AND SELL THEM TO THIRD PARTIES. Sorry for caps. I think Libra's coordinators think they can collect sympathy with this kind of rhetoric. But we have some very bad news for them. They're dealing with the wrong guys. Blockchain and the crypto world are made up of intelligent people. And we don't want to see any more crooks and Bloodsuckers.

Libra, please, stay away from the blockchain.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: