Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating to Portugal  (Read 380 times)
Paxton13 (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2019, 06:48:48 PM

I am an Eu citizen thinking about moving to Portugal after their newly released statement regarding taxation on crypto.

Can anyone disclose to me if I need a job in someway in the country and trade crypto as a "hobby", for it to be taxfree?,

or can I simply move there, get a residence permit and trade crypto as a private person and be tax exempt?.

All advice are very welcome and if anyone could recommend a tax advisor or accountant I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 01:43:59 PM

Crypto trading/investment as a private citizen isn't really tax exempt, we don't have to pay taxes because it is a new thing and there is no category for us to declare any profits or holdings, we don't have to pay because of regulators laziness/ignorance.

Portugal will most likely adopt EU directives in this regard.

You only need to pay if you're doing it at a professional or enterprise level.

If trading is main occupation it will be seen as doing it at professional level, so taxes need to be paid.

Paxton13 (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 20, 2019, 09:26:38 PM

Thanks alot for your reply:)

So the taxation now is most likely a temporary thing?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2019/09/19/portugal-tax-authorities-clarify-that-buying-or-selling-cryptocurrency-is-tax-free/

Do you reckon the tax department come with a statement like this if they were to change it any time soon?

Thx for any input:)

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1031

View Profile
October 24, 2019, 05:59:12 PM

Thanks alot for your reply:)

So the taxation now is most likely a temporary thing?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2019/09/19/portugal-tax-authorities-clarify-that-buying-or-selling-cryptocurrency-is-tax-free/

Do you reckon the tax department come with a statement like this if they were to change it any time soon?

Thx for any input:)

I don't believe it's going to change anytime soon.

BlastMechanism

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 24, 2020, 01:27:32 PM

For now there is a bunch of people that are moviing here because we do not need to pay any taxes, as long as we do not trade/mine them professionaly. In the end, this just means that as long as you do not work with crypto as a part of a company, all good and no worries. We are not expectating any changes soon, tbh.
I always feel kind of sorry and pitty while reading all those dramas that people have regarding crypto-taxes, tbh. Can´t imagine myself living in a country with such taxes and nightmare.
BlastMechanism

Activity: 78

View Profile
January 24, 2020, 01:30:57 PM

Of course that your tax affiliation/residence must be portuguese to take advantage of our regulations.   
seolein

Activity: 67
Merit: 11

View Profile
November 22, 2020, 10:33:01 PM

i will just add my question here as it's related:

1. if i move to Portugal next year without a job and live off savings for a few months but trade crypto on the side, does that then count as income and will be taxed?

2. in an alternative scenario, i will move to Portugal but will have a remote job and trade crypto on the side, do i still need to report my trades ?

would appreciate any help!
mmcsm

Activity: 72
Merit: 7

View Profile
April 21, 2021, 04:05:32 AM

1. if i move to Portugal next year without a job and live off savings for a few months but trade crypto on the side, does that then count as income and will be taxed?

2. in an alternative scenario, i will move to Portugal but will have a remote job and trade crypto on the side, do i still need to report my trades ?

hi, based on what your saying, I assume that you will be most probably considered a professional trader and you will have to pay taxes, since you don't have a job you will have to provide evidence that you have the ability to sustain yourself, and for that you will have to say that you trade and since trading will be your main activity them it's most probably considered professional trading, makes sense?
I will suggest you that you contact a lawyer to help clarify your specific situation and you will have a professional recommendation before taking any decision
but this is my interpretation to try to help you, you might want to confirm with a professional in this area,  I recently saw a video of Maria Ana Pescadinha from MAP Advogados about this and it is really good.
joker_josue
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 4427

**In BTC since 2013**

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2021, 11:53:25 AM

In a nutshell, think like this:
- If it is to be a source of income, ie business, then you will have to declare and probably pay taxes.

- If you have another source of income, and do it privately. You do not have to declare or pay taxes.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Ferozas

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 15, 2021, 12:32:38 PM

Please note that if your main income comes from trading you will need to pay taxes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: