Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:35:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poloniex closes his doors for US citizens  (Read 255 times)
ivan1975 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 1168

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:21:01 PM
Merited by tk808 (1)

Poloniex closes his doors for US citizens:
Beginning today, US persons will no longer be able to create new accounts on Poloniex. Starting on November 1, 2019, US customers will no longer be able to execute trades on the exchange. When trading ends, US customers will still be able to withdraw their assets through Circle until at least December 15, 2019.
https://medium.com/circle-trader/poloniex-spins-out-from-circle-with-new-backing-global-focus-5a19357bdaee
What do you think about it and future of Poloniex?
Also they made 0% fee for all spot trading to the end of year.  
It seems that their business is not going very well in last days.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Judge-Dredd

Activity: 517
Merit: 257

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:24:56 PM

Beginning today, US persons will no longer be able to create new accounts on Poloniex. Starting on November 1, 2019, US customers will no longer be able to execute trades on the exchange. When trading ends, US customers will still be able to withdraw their assets through Circle until at least December 15, 2019.
https://medium.com/circle-trader/poloniex-spins-out-from-circle-with-new-backing-global-focus-5a19357bdaee

Who uses Polo anymore anyway? I can remember it being one of the best. As soon as the new about Circle acquiring it became public they fell off the face of the earth. From #1 in daily volume to who the hell knows what now.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
tk808
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1124

Invest in your knowledge

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:31:36 PM

There are 3 aspects to this downfall:

1) U.S. ignorant and often false regulations of shitcoins and what entitles a security. SEC and other regulatory bodies have claimed power and dominance over cryptocurrencies, some companies are yielding despite not even being under their jurisdiction and others have been properly legally served.

With the current climate, U.S. is not crypto or blockchain friendly, thus will lead to U.S. dominance over this tech space (namely with start-ups), billions and potentially trillions (in the future) in potential capital and taxation from businesses will be lost to the east and other locations. A short-term ignorant vision for crypto, run by morons in these agencies.

Libra's presence has accordingly forced these agencies hands. In all essence, anyone who supports Libra or ever did, knows nothing about cryptocurrency or the underlining ideologies of blockchain. Despite all postive growth, awareness and etc, Libra is a short-term gain and a major long-term plague on all crypto and blockchain entities.

2) Circle is and has always been one of the worst crypto businesses lead by some of the biggest clueless people in all of crypto. CEO is a complete moron, which has been discussed and talked about over the years. Yes, he's manage to run circle since 2014, but Circle has had so many failures and poor management, especially with Poloniex. Poloniex once paved the way, but all U.S. crypto exchanges suffer from the same thing, unable to operate properly under heavily restricted rules and guidelines (therefore, unable to list any coin that may be in a grey area).

3) Competition from bigger exchanges. If a company is squeezed and restricted tightly, as noted above, then they are unable to function and maintain a proper business. Poloniex ultimately suffered from points 1 and 2, but 3 eventually broke its back in the U.S.

While Poloniex isn't essentially going away, it's for all intensive purposes a dead exchange. The only reason Poloniex has remained intact, was due to its presence in the increasingly restrictive U.S. climate.

Tristan is laughing and both crying. Just like many who've been around since the very first days of Poloniex with NXT and the eventual dominance of Polo with ETH's launch.
key4co.in

Activity: 812
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:35:34 PM

I got an email from Poloniex about re-branding but didn't read through since I was driving. Poloniex might be having a hard time lately but I think they are coming up with strategies to bounce back. Like for example the zero percent fee for spot trading till end of year mentioned is a catchy strategy, definitely crypto traders will like the idea.
Bananington

Activity: 1414
Merit: 344

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:39:16 PM

Let me quickly notify my US friends to be aware that withdrawal of funds by US citizens dead line is 15th December. It's obvious that regulatory policies led to this new update, if not why will Poloniex shut the door for US traders. Poloniex was one of my favorite exchanges way back but since this year, they've been under performing and it's really sad. Let's see if they come up with revamped strategies to get to the top again.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2019, 05:49:58 PM

Shocked wow, thats huge.  although it says for NEW accounts, even trading is gonna stop for US citizens, thats rough Sad
i havent used polo since they lost touch (imo about 2 years ago), so luckily for me this wont affect much
if their business is not going well its their own fault, they were KINGS at one point, but shit CS and big headedness seems to have run its course

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:53:06 PM

It's going to happen more often. USA is probably the only country in the world that thinks a business located in another country has to obey their laws just because some American citizen used their service. If every country acted like that there would be chaos. Every country in the world would sue a business from another country because it broke their local law.

Businesses are afraid of the bully that the USA is.
Ken_terrance

Activity: 574
Merit: 18

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:53:12 PM

I think US is going to have lots of problems in the future about crypto and coins, they are getting neglected slowly anyways but the question is who still use poloniex exchange anyway? i never use that exchange since i entered crypto space in 2016, i just don't like the exchange at all

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬  ▬   Prasaga   │   Making Smart Money Work   ▬  ▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Tech WP  /  Commercial WP  //  Twitter  /  Facebook  /  Discord  /  Telegram
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬  Powered by BOUNTY DETECTIVE  ▬▬▬▬  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
krb91

Activity: 254
Merit: 10

Streamies Rocks!!!!

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 05:55:18 PM

First Binance now Poloniex. Binance realised that the United States was becoming more strong handed with cryptocurrency and had to develop a spin-off just for the traders in the United States.  Now Poloniex is withdrawing it's services from the US. although they termed it a 'scaling down' it's obvious the pressure was too much on them from regulatory bodies.

S T R E A M I E S -  Streaming in Anonimity  -  No rules
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●●     Whitepaper Released    ●● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DISCORD    -    BITCOINTALK    -    WEBSITE    -    EXCHANGE
rosezionjohn

Activity: 882
Merit: 301

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 06:05:57 PM

If this is the case, then why not just shut down the whole exchange? Why close doors on the market where most crypto trading volume is coming from?

The article clearly states that they want to establish (or re-establish) their presence globally first and I am guessing that the new company, Polo Digital Assets, Ltd., will follow what Binance did in having an exchange exclusive for the US market.
semobo

Activity: 1498
Merit: 146

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 06:09:42 PM

Poloniex era was over already before couple of years since that there is no good business for them,binance also did the same but created a separate site for US citizen this might repeat with poloniex?
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 06:10:43 PM

Shocked wow, thats huge.  although it says for NEW accounts, even trading is gonna stop for US citizens, thats rough
Yes it is huge and rough.  I never used polo as my primary exchange, but I always thought they were decent.  I am very shocked at this, and I'm wondering what's prompting this move.  I was not aware of the buyout by Circle, though I'm not sure if that's the reason.  Circle stopped dealing in bitcoin, but why that would affect polo's U.S. customer base is a mystery to me.

Is there some U.S. gov't regulation happening here?  Even when Binance created the site for the states, there were some states which were excluded.  I do hope this isn't the ominous sign that it seems to me to be.
bittraffic

Activity: 2940
Merit: 612

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2019, 06:14:51 PM

Back 2015, this was one of the best exchange. Tristan should be moving to a crypto friendly country and do something to save the exchange apart from closing it to US citizen. US regulation is just going to kill them if they continue allowing US citizen there. He could bring the life of it. I'm not sure if they are collecting KYC yet but its best to start doing it.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

JCviggen

Activity: 1260
Merit: 505

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 06:59:15 PM

Today I read the news that they allocated a lot of money for the development of their exchange in other countries. I think this exchange will be all right. no need to worry

Age Of Mars | GameFI Virtual colonization of Mars
Febo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288

View Profile
October 18, 2019, 07:00:53 PM

It seems they see it is not worth to fight with USA regulations if can make profit elsewhere.  They might start USA Poloniex branch just like Binance did. Circle is not in crypto because crypto, but because of profit. They will do things that will give them most profit with least effort. Kraken is one of rare exchanges that keeps fighting.
cryptothreads

Activity: 1274
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 01:50:42 AM

Poloniex era was over already before couple of years since that there is no good business for them,binance also did the same but created a separate site for US citizen this might repeat with poloniex?
In my opinion Poloniex wants to be a big exchange and does not want the law to affect their business so banning US users could make this exchange more comfortable in the business. In addition, Bittrex has done the same and this makes it difficult for people in the US to enter the crypto market in the future.

The country really has too much to deal with and if Poloniex can work well in the Asian market then this will be one of the potential exchanges.
Periodik

Activity: 1022
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 02:00:27 AM

They have to shun their doors to the US crypto fans because their country is not friendly towards it. They are not welcoming the crypto development at all. Not only is the country not friendly towards crypto, they are even actively stopping any progress. Projects are thwarted right from the start.

Poloniex is still a trusted exchange even if they also had their problems in the past. Right now, they look in their best form to compete with the top exchanges in the market.
boltz
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1187

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 02:38:53 AM

It seems that more and more exchanges are closing the doors for trading for US citizens which is not good for the crypto system in general even if Poloniex had low volume in the last 2 years. I still remember when Poloniex was nr1 exchange with a high number of volume and traders but then it suddenly dropped in both of them and now here we are...who's next ? Bittrex ?

███▄▀██▄▄
░░▄████▄▀████ ▄▄▄
░░████▄▄▄▄░░█▀▀
███ ██████▄▄▀█▌
░▄░░███▀████
░▐█░░███░██▄▄
░░▄▀░████▄▄▄▀█
░█░▄███▀████ ▐█
▀▄▄███▀▄██▄
░░▄██▌░░██▀
░▐█▀████ ▀██
░░█▌██████ ▀▀██▄
░░▀███
▄▄██▀▄███
▄▄▄████▀▄████▄░░
▀▀█░░▄▄▄▄████░░
▐█▀▄▄█████████
████▀███░░▄░
▄▄██░███░░█▌░
█▀▄▄▄████░▀▄░░
█▌████▀███▄░█░
▄██▄▀███▄▄▀
▀██░░▐██▄░░
██▀████▀█▌░
▄██▀▀██████▐█░░
███▀░░
zeze18

Activity: 938
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 02:42:36 AM

Yes maybe they're going to be shutting down.
But at least their manner is good by announcing to their customers like this, and give free trading fee til end of the year. and not just exitscam just like shit exchanges.
nasipadang

Activity: 1274
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 19, 2019, 03:05:48 AM

Regulations again, I experience many problems because of Poloniex, since banning an account without knowing the cause, I started to stop using Poloniex. I don't really know their information, last info maybe the shit circle. The zero fee for trading spot is good enough to increase the amount of volume on the exchanger.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
1xBit.com  Super Six 
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████