Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:11:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for web app ideas (free and open source)  (Read 276 times)
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 2147

View Profile
October 20, 2019, 10:18:14 AM
Last edit: October 20, 2019, 05:11:27 PM by hatshepsut93
Merited by OmegaStarScream (3), Welsh (2), hugeblack (1)

I want to play with some Javascript frameworks, and I want to create some practical application rather than yet another todo app. So, I'm looking for suggestions for a client-side web apps that follow these requirements:

1. No backend - I won't be able to dedicate any servers to this project, the app should be complently client side. Any needed data should be fetched from third-party API's.
2. Unique - I don't want to make another paper wallet generator or a portfolio app.
3. Not too heavy on data manipulation - I want to practice making UI's, not writing algorithm's from scratch. Any heavy lifting should be handled by a library.

The project will be free and open source and hosted on github pages, so don't worry about me trying to make profit off your idea. For reference, here's my last project - https://tiramisu77.github.io/CoinWatcher/

.BEST.CHANGE..███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
October 20, 2019, 03:16:44 PM

Okay, I've got a kind of weird idea but could be cool: A webapp which allows you to see how the most popular Bitcoin-related websites have changed in popularity throughout the years, where you can see when exactly old websites faded into obscurity and new websites became popular.

Something like this:

But the websites on the vertical axis would come from a mixture of a pre-determined list of well-known websites (bitcointalk, bitcoin.org, bitstamp, bitcoin wiki, etc etc) along with what the user chooses to add to the list, and the horizontal axis could be something fetchable like Alexa ranking. There could be some arrows to let you change the month and the chart would update as appropriate. Maybe a bit of a weird idea but could be cool? I'm sure there are appropriate libraries you could find for producing the actual chart itself.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 20, 2019, 05:11:08 PM

Okay, I've got a kind of weird idea but could be cool: A webapp which allows you to see how the most popular Bitcoin-related websites have changed in popularity throughout the years, where you can see when exactly old websites faded into obscurity and new websites became popular.

But the websites on the vertical axis would come from a mixture of a pre-determined list of well-known websites (bitcointalk, bitcoin.org, bitstamp, bitcoin wiki, etc etc) along with what the user chooses to add to the list, and the horizontal axis could be something fetchable like Alexa ranking. There could be some arrows to let you change the month and the chart would update as appropriate. Maybe a bit of a weird idea but could be cool? I'm sure there are appropriate libraries you could find for producing the actual chart itself.

I don't know any API that provides historical data for popularity of sites and is also public. Keep in mind that requests will be made from client's side directly to an API, so I can't use any API that needs keys.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
October 21, 2019, 11:27:25 AM

I know that the idea is not unique but it shouldn't be hard to make, but I think that the community needs a bitcoin directory where all kinds of services are included. Wallets, exchanges, debit card providers, gift card providers, etc. I've come across a few but most of them are outdated and not well made either. If you can focus on the UI/UX (which is apparently what you want to do), I think it would be very helpful for the community.

I've also tried your CoinWatcher, and neither the charts nor the prices are loading for me (If that's already functional).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 21, 2019, 11:45:12 AM

I know that the idea is not unique but it shouldn't be hard to make, but I think that the community needs a bitcoin directory where all kinds of services are included. Wallets, exchanges, debit card providers, gift card providers, etc. I've come across a few but most of them are outdated and not well made either. If you can focus on the UI/UX (which is apparently what you want to do), I think it would be very helpful for the community.

That's a nice idea, but the hardest part is collecting all the data manually, I could start it as a community project and let users and service providers manage the list of services by editing the file on Github.

I've also tried your CoinWatcher, and neither the charts nor the prices are loading for me (If that's already functional).

It's a portfolio manager, you should click the + button in the middle to add coins to your portfolio. I'm currently rewriting in with React, and I'll add some helping tips on first visit. Thanks for letting me know.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 3650

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2019, 12:55:39 PM

You should continue to develop that site. I think I saw this site a few months ago and it didn't differ much. You may add the ability to track address, view an address, and accumulate all balance.
Some simple ideas: Whale warning, there is a Twitter account doing this but I don't know if a site is doing it. You can customize the whale you want to follow.

I don't know what level of technical expertise you need to do this, but you can make a "price lock"  more like a "time lock[1]" But it is linked to a certain price or price range.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Timelock

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 04:22:04 PM

I know that the idea is not unique but it shouldn't be hard to make, but I think that the community needs a bitcoin directory where all kinds of services are included.

So, I was recently considering to start this project, but just found that there's already one like that - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5179051.0

You should continue to develop that site. I think I saw this site a few months ago and it didn't differ much. You may add the ability to track address, view an address, and accumulate all balance.
Some simple ideas: Whale warning, there is a Twitter account doing this but I don't know if a site is doing it. You can customize the whale you want to follow.

I don't know what level of technical expertise you need to do this, but you can make a "price lock"  more like a "time lock[1]" But it is linked to a certain price or price range.

[1] https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Timelock

I can't agree that it doesn't offer much, it's a cryptocurrency portfolio manager that supports over 5.5k different coins and displays market data against over 50 fiat and crypto- currencies. It also has alert system via push notifications, and it all works without registrations, logins, app installations - everything that should be is stored in clients side and never leaves it.

I don't plan to add address watching and exchange account integration, it would blow up the complexity of user interface and won't provide better user experience. This app is for hodlers who just store coins for long term and rarely do any trades, so it shouldn't be hard to update your portfolio manually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still looking for new ideas, if anyone got some, feel free to suggest.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
carlorell

Activity: 55
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 04:38:30 PM

An arbitrage web app. Connect ao all exchanges and make the transactions
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 08:29:13 PM

An arbitrage web app. Connect ao all exchanges and make the transactions

1. This app would be heavy on algorithms rather than UI, so it's already not what I'm looking for.
2. Why would anyone give their exchange api keys to a website? It's extremely risky.
3. Exchanges probably don't allow cross-origin requests to their api.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
tinyteapot

Activity: 1148
Merit: 275

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 09:08:13 AM

I will suggest that, you should be more diplomatic with how you are turning down offers.

I need a web app that can crawl bitcoin related websites and pull out search results based on search engine algorithm.
hatshepsut93 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 08:58:00 PM

I want to make some telegram bot to practice working with their API, but I'm out of ideas of what to create. I also saw an interesting Bitcoin block API here recently, and it would be great to utilize it to create something useful, but I can't thing of anything original, and I don't want to create something like address watcher, since there's probably countless implementations of it.

So, I'm open to ideas, the project will be free and open source as per OP.

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Zemomtum

Activity: 1316
Merit: 104

CitizenFinance.io

View Profile
January 26, 2020, 11:58:26 PM

This is a great initiative but there are a lot of similar projects that are already offering similar services. A lot of duplicate ideas are many in crypto space and is like we are just reinventing the wheal always

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: