Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:10:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is better, Dogecoin or Litecoin?  (Read 15851 times)
Beef Supreme (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:00:46 PM

These are the two alts that I want to skim my portfolio down to, maybe even concentrate on one of the two.

Good stuff about LTC                     Bad stuff
Old coin                                      Slower than Doge
Big market                                  Low energy community
Faster than BTC                            Why not just use BTC
Only 80 million or so                     Lower liquidity
Collectable                           

Good stuff about DOGE                  Bad stuff
Very big market                           MEME could wear off, like skinny jeans
Great community support               Not taken seriously, much ridicule
Liquidity                                      1 BILLION coins with inflation
Faster than LTC
Much people use

Is any of that incorrect?

What are your opinions, if you had to invest in either?

Is inflation good for a coin?

The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:17:10 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2014, 04:41:36 PM by devphp

You've summarized it pretty good.

One thing is missing though, that is, current valuation assessment and how it can change in the future.

Litecoin and Dogecoin, all pros and cons weighted are at least equal to each other, but look at their market cap.

Let's say, we look one year from now when 100 bln doges are mined,
by that time, about 30 mln LTCs will have been mined,

assuming they are equal to each other, which they are, both technically, infrastructure wise, community wise, some aspects are better, some worse, but all in all they are about the same,

100 bln doges = 30 mln LTC, which sets the weighted exchange rate at 1 LTC : 3333 DOGEs (current biased exchange rate is 1 LTC = ~ 21 450 DOGEs).

If we sum up the current market caps of both $460 mln + $48 mln = $508 mln and devide it by 2 (because both coins are equal), that puts 1 LTC at $256 mln / 30 mln = $8,53 and that puts 1 DOGE at $256 mln / 100 bln = $0.00256 - quarter of a cent ($0.0008 at the time of this writing).

Summary: LTC should go down ~50%, DOGE should go up 3-fold from current valuations, based on their weighted pros and cons and being about equal.

Oh, and one more, last time I checked, Litecoin didn't have a lightweight wallet application, Dogecoin has 2 lightweight wallet apps (multidoge - ported from bitcoin multibit and wowdoge), that testifies to how more active dogecoin developers are and how more convenient it is for users.

I'd suggest splitting your scrypt coin investments 50:50 LTC:DOGE and see which one wins.

On inflation.

Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin - all are inflationary. Inflation means money supply grows. Well, it grows for all of them, all of them have new coins mined each day. The difference between Bitcoin/Litcoin and Dogecoin is, the latter mines the core coin supply within 1 year and then inflates each year at 5%. Whereas bitcoin/litecoin will be inflating at 10-15% for the next 3-4 years, then less than that, but still more than 5% till at least 2020. There was a table somewhere, someone posted exact numbers on bitcoin/litecoin/dogecoin yearly inflation.

But one thing you need to remember. Inflation may or may not raise prices of goods and services. It will raise them if there is not enough demand for coins, it will not raise them and can even push them lower if demand for those coins is high. So if there are enough people who are interested to buy Dogecoin, or Bitcoin/Litecoin likewise, their price will be going up, regardless of more coins being sold each day on the market. That's a little bit on the inflation topic.

For the past few weeks we see that there is not much new demand both for bitcoin and altcoins, that's why prices are stagnating or even falling. Cryptos need a wider adoption to see the jump to the next level.

The only non-inflationary coin is a 100% pre-mined coin or proof-of-stake coin like NXT, where no new coins are mined each day. All coins already exist.
WompRat

Activity: 232

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:41:04 PM

I believe cryptos are a bit like football teams.  There is not a lot of rationality in the ones we support, but I am never going to support Man United and I am never going to use Litecoin.

Given that doge is a relatively simplistic clone it does not need great devs, but if I am being neutral, even though the coin is just 3 months old, it is an area that needs improvement. 
El Dude

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:04:09 PM

you can't compare litecoin to dogecoin .

dogecoin is a joke coin that been forked 3 times in 3 months , Litecoin has a real soild dev team and has been stable since 2011. Litecoin also has way more volume then dogecoin.http://coinmarketcap.com/volume.html#ltc

dogecoin is a joke and will never be on big exchanges.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
devphp

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:27:26 PM

The OP forgot to add another positive aspect to the Dogecoin list.

Dogecoin has never been portrayed in the media as the money of criminals: money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Do you know why? Exactly! Because Dogecoin is not used for those purposes, that's why. On the contrary, Dogecoin has been receiving a lot of good press for funding a number of charity projects, this gives tremendous value to the coin. I don't think Litecoin can boast of that. Do you realize how positive press is helpful for marketing something? People are not afraid to use Dogecoin, because they will not be associated with criminals, ever, because Dogecoin is what, a joke.

No journalist in their right mind would write an article that Dogecoin is used illegally, it would sound so ridiculous, that the editor wouldn't let publish this article, or it'd be the end of that media outlet for being so stupid as to even conceive of that. This Dogecoin being a joke is turning into Dogecoin's strongest point and helps attract masses. Without masses no wider adoption is possible. Dogecoin has achieved in months what took Litecoin years to achieve.
BitCoinPokerBro

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 08:36:02 PM

Dogecoin has never been portrayed in the media as the money of criminals: money launderers, drug dealers, etc.

Maybe you missed all the news about Doge Road?

Stop trying to hype doge that train came and went a few people made huge bucks and tons lost on the ride down due to multipools.
Beef Supreme (OP)

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:58:19 AM

Dogecoin has never been portrayed in the media as the money of criminals: money launderers, drug dealers, etc. Do you know why? Exactly! Because Dogecoin is not used for those purposes, that's why. On the contrary, Dogecoin has been receiving a lot of good press for funding a number of charity projects, this gives tremendous value to the coin. I don't think Litecoin can boast of that. Do you realize how positive press is helpful for marketing something? People are not afraid to use Dogecoin, because they will not be associated with criminals, ever, because Dogecoin is what, a joke.

No journalist in their right mind would write an article that Dogecoin is used illegally, it would sound so ridiculous, that the editor wouldn't let publish this article, or it'd be the end of that media outlet for being so stupid as to even conceive of that. This Dogecoin being a joke is turning into Dogecoin's strongest point and helps attract masses. Without masses no wider adoption is possible. Dogecoin has achieved in months what took Litecoin years to achieve.

Good point.  Had not thought of that angle.  Would be a bit silly tying a shibu inu to the Juarez cartels.

"Heads Roll in Shibe Territory"  …news at 11
wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:08:23 AM

On inflation.

bitcoin/litecoin will be inflating at 10-15% for the next 3-4 years, then less than that, but still more than 5% till at least 2020.

Mintcoin will be inflating at 5% for the next atleast 40 years. Mintcoin is POW/POS. Mintcoin is not IPO shite pure POS. Mintcoin has less coins mined than doge and will have less overall. Mintcoin has a big community and huge infrastructure. Mintcoin is ASIC resistant.

Mintcoin therefore is better than either of these.
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:19:37 AM

Litecoin, but only because its logo doesnt include a picture of a dog. Apart from that their both shit.

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
Beef Supreme (OP)

Put your trust in MATH.

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:37:26 AM

On inflation.

bitcoin/litecoin will be inflating at 10-15% for the next 3-4 years, then less than that, but still more than 5% till at least 2020.

Mintcoin will be inflating at 5% for the next atleast 40 years. Mintcoin is POW/POS. Mintcoin is not IPO shite pure POS. Mintcoin has less coins mined than doge and will have less overall. Mintcoin has a big community and huge infrastructure. Mintcoin is ASIC resistant.

Reading comprehension paraphrase:  I bought lots of mint coin low, now you buy in and help me pay off my underwater mortgage.  Do it now.
Oztwinpeaks

Activity: 133

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:40:36 AM

You need to factor in the real world relationships that will drive adoption- in the case of Litecoin, Charlie Lee is well positioned in his relationship with Coinbase and obviously BTC China via his brother. You can bet that these ties will count for something as mass adoption begins. I don't know about the developers of Dodge- so I can't comment, but I do know that despite being decentralised, the people inherently connected with cryptos will count for something.

wasamata

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:41:45 AM

On inflation.

Reading comprehension paraphrase:  I bought lots of mint coin low, now you buy in and help me pay off my underwater mortgage.  Do it now.

Wrong. Play the ball not the man. Lets talk facts not throw mud.
dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 03:56:29 AM

I like them both. Why choose?

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
gustav

Activity: 602

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:27:14 AM

litecoin!
devphp

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:28:05 AM

You need to factor in the real world relationships that will drive adoption- in the case of Litecoin, Charlie Lee is well positioned in his relationship with Coinbase and obviously BTC China via his brother. You can bet that these ties will count for something as mass adoption begins. I don't know about the developers of Dodge- so I can't comment, but I do know that despite being decentralised, the people inherently connected with cryptos will count for something.

I hear you, but 1) btcchina is no longer the exchange with largest volume, 2) they missed the chance to take Litecoin to the next level back in November, when Max Keiser made his tweet on Litecoin to reach $50. If btcchina introduced Litecoin trading back then, in sync with Max's tweet and general enthusiasm for Litecoin, Litecoin would probably go to 0.1 ltc/btc and stay there and truely become the only second alt and gain a lot of user base.

But that opportunity is now lost, there is a bunch of some innovative, some not, alts now that are taking capital away from Litecoin. Whereas back a few months ago Litecoin was attracting most new users of altcoins, it's different now. New users of altcoins have been scattered over a bunch of altcoins like cockroaches over the kitchen table, seeing benefits of other alts. Its very doubtful they can now get together into just 1 altcoin.

I found the pic I looked for, yearly inflation for 2015-2020

El Dude

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:33:16 AM

I hear you, but 1) btcchina is no longer the exchange with largest volume, 2) they missed the chance to take Litecoin to the next level back in November, when Max Keiser made his tweet on Litecoin to reach $50. If btcchina introduced Litecoin trading back then, in sync with Max's tweet and general enthusiasm for Litecoin, Litecoin would probably go to 0.1 ltc/btc and stay there and truely become the only second alt and gain a lot of user base.

But that opportunity is now lost, there is a bunch of innovative alts now that are taking capital away from Litecoin. Whereas back a few months ago Litecoin was attracting most new users of altcoins, it's different now. New users of altcoins have been scattered over a bunch of altcoins like cockroaches over the kitchen table, seeing benefits of other alts. Its very doubtful they can now get together into just 1 altcoin.

I found the pic I looked for, yearly inflation for 2015-2020

Litecoin will be on huobi in 24 , the world biggest exchange and will also be on coinbase in 2014 .

devphp

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:36:36 AM

El Dude,

2013 was the year when exchanges and speculators were the main driving force of the price. This is not sustainable, as you can't shuffle air indefinately, pumping and dumping.

2014 will be the year when who creates more infrastructure and actually allows to use the currency in any meaningful way will be leading the herd. Thus, adding to just another exchange or two doesn't bring it to the next level, at best it only gives some buying support, which can as easily vanish if the currency lacks infrastructure and shops to spend it.
El Dude

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:44:42 AM

El Dude,

2013 was the year when exchanges and speculators were the main driving force of the price. This is not sustainable, as you can't shuffle air indefinately, pumping and dumping.

2014 will be the year when who creates more infrastructure and actually allows to use the currency in any meaningful way will be leading the herd. Thus, adding to just another exchange or two doesn't bring it to the next level, at best it only gives some buying support, which can as easily vanish if the currency lacks infrastructure and shops to spend it.

A coin needs to be easy to buy before big stores can accept it . Now that litecoin will be on all the big exchanges it's a matter of time before Overstock and tigerdirect also start accepting litecoin.

btcltcdigger

Activity: 1988
Merit: 756

To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:44:55 AM

The answer is simple:

1 LTC ~ $17
1 Đoge ~ $0.00001?
devphp

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:55:36 AM

A coin needs to be easy to buy before big stores can accept it . Now that litecoin will be on all the big exchanges it's a matter of time before Overstock and tigerdirect also start accepting litecoin.

Huobi and Btcchina exchanges are irrelevant for that, because a) Chinese stores can't accept cryptos as legal tender, and b) Chinese customers wouldn't be buying at overseas stores, that's why Huobi and Btcchina introducing Litecoin trading won't bring in a lot of new buyers, and are a purely speculating factor. Some buying is possible, but those who wanted to buy into Litecoin have had other options for a long time, there is no shortage of exchanges for that matter, both in China and US/EU.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: