Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:06:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation error  (Read 184 times)
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 01:52:06 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2019, 06:31:12 PM by Pochi Spiccioli

I installed Electrum on Ubuntu 18.04 by launching the strings present at this link, but starting the program nothing happens. If at the terminal I type "electrum", this is the output:
Code:
Error: No module named 'dns'. Try 'sudo python3 -m pip install <module-name>'
What should I do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 01:55:24 PM

sudo python3 -m pip install dns

It's asking you to do that, you may as well try it and report back if it doesn't work (if you haven't already) it's been a while since I installed electrum on Linux so I'm not sure exactly.
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 01:55:38 PM

What should I do?

Install the missing module by typing in sudo python3 -m pip install dnspython
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 02:09:20 PM

sudo python3 -m pip install dns

It's asking you to do that, you may as well try it and report back if it doesn't work (if you haven't already) it's been a while since I installed electrum on Linux so I'm not sure exactly.
Output:
Code:
The directory '/home/piero/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/home/piero/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Collecting dns
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement dns (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for dns

What should I do?

Install the missing module by typing in sudo python3 -m pip install dnspython
Output:
Code:
The directory '/home/piero/.cache/pip/http' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and the cache has been disabled. Please check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
The directory '/home/piero/.cache/pip' or its parent directory is not owned by the current user and caching wheels has been disabled. check the permissions and owner of that directory. If executing pip with sudo, you may want sudo's -H flag.
Requirement already satisfied: dnspython in ./.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 02:32:40 PM

Yeah sorry it might be pip3 instead of pip for some versions of Linux that haven't changed their environmental variables yet. Try that.
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 03:17:47 PM

Yeah sorry it might be pip3 instead of pip for some versions of Linux that haven't changed their environmental variables yet. Try that.
Output:
Code:
/usr/bin/python3: No module named pip3
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 04:12:07 PM

I installed Electrum on Ubuntu 18.04 by launching the strings present at this link, but starting the program nothing happens. If at the terminal I type "sudo electrum", this is the output:
Code:
What should I do?

Don't do "sudo electrum" to run it. You don't run electrum as root. Just type "electrum" to run it. If that doesn't work post the output of "which electrum"
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

View Profile
October 25, 2019, 06:30:20 PM

I installed Electrum on Ubuntu 18.04 by launching the strings present at this link, but starting the program nothing happens. If at the terminal I type "sudo electrum", this is the output:
Code:
What should I do?

Don't do "sudo electrum" to run it. You don't run electrum as root. Just type "electrum" to run it. If that doesn't work post the output of "which electrum"

I never did "sudo" Cheesy The error comes up with "electrum" and that's it...
However, the output of "which electrum" is as follows:
Code:
/home/piero/.local/bin/electrum

EDIT: In the initial post I actually wrote "sudo electrum", but it was a typo, I never tried to start Electrum as root...  Undecided
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 03:09:29 AM

Did you use the instructions on the download page that are labeled " Run without installing: " or the ones under " Install with PIP: "?

It seems like you did the latter because the electrum binary is in ~/.local/bin but then there should not be a dependency issue now. Maybe try the following:

Code:
python3 -m pip install --user dns

If it doesn't work then just do a run without installation.
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 08:29:11 AM

Did you use the instructions on the download page that are labeled " Run without installing: " or the ones under " Install with PIP: "?
I tried to install it using strings next to "Install with PIP:"
It seems like you did the latter because the electrum binary is in ~/.local/bin but then there should not be a dependency issue now. Maybe try the following:

Code:
python3 -m pip install --user dns

If it doesn't work then just do a run without installation.
Output:
Code:
/usr/bin/python3: No module named pip
Abdussamad
Legendary

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 12:03:55 PM

did you run this?

Code:
sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools python3-pip
Pochi Spiccioli (OP)

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 02:05:54 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2019, 02:29:21 PM by Pochi Spiccioli

did you run this?

Code:
sudo apt-get install python3-setuptools python3-pip
In the end I solved it by uninstalling everything and reinstalling through AppImage following the strings shown at the following link; for convenience I bring it here:
Code:
wget https://download.electrum.org/3.3.8/electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage &&
chmod +x electrum-3.3.8-x86_64.AppImage
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: