Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:49:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Be vigilant of active scammers on YoBit posing as support.  (Read 168 times)
DiamondCardz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
October 26, 2019, 04:48:03 PM
Merited by OmegaStarScream (2), LoyceV (2), jhenfelipe (1)

Around the time that YoBit's signature campaign wallet went dry, I noticed that scammers had started to privately message users who had mentioned that withdrawals were not working in YoBit's trollbox; my assumption is that anyone who talks about any kind of issue in the trollbox gets these kinds of messages. In these messages they ask if their problem has been solved, and 'kindly' inform them that there are no admins online except 'Matveevka' and to email this admin at a given address.

Obviously, this is a scam. To investigate what they were trying to do, I gave them one of my lesser used email addresses. The email contents ask you to deposit 0.1 BTC, create a code, and send it to them for 'verification':

I'm surprised they ask for so much, but they must be catching people out regardless else I am sure they would decrease the amount they ask for. Stay vigilant, I have no doubt that if they asked for something more believable such as 0.01 BTC, people would be caught out.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Findingnemo

Activity: 2324
Merit: 758

Bitcoin = Financial freedom

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 05:02:32 PM

Same kind of message were shown from else in the same section but members claimed that this is from a clone site,so the same thing happened here?

Or yobit itself trying to scam people with these kind of tricks?

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
View ArchiveReport to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 26, 2019, 05:22:40 PM
Last edit: October 26, 2019, 05:40:45 PM by AdolfinWolf

Same kind of message were shown from else in the same section but members claimed that this is from a clone site,so the same thing happened here?

Well, i doubt yobit themselves are scamming people, although, this could be a possibility (?) (as they are definitely not shy from deceiving their "customers"), but they are in fact facilitating it with these kinds of weird-ass systems.

If they would just remove their "code" system, these scams couldn't happen in the first place. I mean, really, what legitimate use cases can you think of where they would be used? Come on. nobody uses yobit as their primary wallet.

No exchange other than yobit has such a system in place that, quite obviously, facilitates scamming. (Really makes you think huh?)

I'm not sure what fees yobit is taking from these codes being used, (I mean, withdrawal fees at the very least.), but still...

Baofeng
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1658

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 05:41:39 AM

I doubt about Yobit themselves started this to trick people. I mean, I can understand that their reputation is already tainted here in this community. So there's no incentive for them to run this kind of scheme. It's just scammers trying to used that as a bait and hope that they can catch someone. Good thing that the OP has shared this otherwise many might fall for this trap, so kudos to the OP.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 07:04:02 AM

Yobit have a very weird system for an exchange.

The YobiCodes are basically "gift cards" for bitcoin, and it's used so you can easily just transfer BTC or other coins from a yobit account to another account when you give that code to them, they basically take your 0.1 and run.

I don't think it's the Yobit staff personally, I don't imagine they would just openly scam people like that, but I am interested about that email address. Is it an official one from yobit? Is it a .net suffix (the official one)?

jhenfelipe

Activity: 1372
Merit: 647

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 07:34:16 AM

The first report about it was shared to "List of banned participants in the Cryptotalk Campaign", but already deleted. Not sure if the poster made another thread for that, atleast you did.

I know some users who have an issue with Yobit are desperate to get an answer from the support, but I hope they keep in mind that the easier they get an answer, the higher chance that it was from a scammer. We all know that Yobit has a poor customer support and it's very unusual to hear from them, asap.

Too much red flags:
1. Get an answer from trollbox
2. Get an email asap
3. For sure the email address used wasn't Yobit's official email address
4. They are asking you to make a deposit
5. They want you to send the YobiCode to them
magneto

Activity: 1666
Merit: 753

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 09:35:11 AM

Yeah, it's nothing new. But it's gotten more sophisticated from the last time I saw such a scam.

Every time there is a wallet maintenance, mass amounts of unconfirmed withdrawals/deposits, or any sort of bug on Yobit, there seems to be a host of these scammers that are just out there trying to target people. I've grown convinced that they may actually be doing this full time, as a job.

It also happens on other exchanges, but to a lesser extent since you can't send PMs on most exchanges.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 11:28:11 AM

The YobiCodes are basically "gift cards" for bitcoin, and it's used so you can easily just transfer BTC or other coins from a yobit account to another account when you give that code to them, they basically take your 0.1 and run.
That's a feature I liked about BTC-E back when they were still operating. I remember how some whales were handing out these codes to a bunch of random troll box lurkers after making a ton of profit.

It's up to people to not fall for such scams because an exchange will never ask you to create a code and hand it over to them.... they already have full control over your funds so all they need to do is sort out their problems.

These scammers are probably from third world countries, so if even one user ends up sending them that code, that's considered a big profit with Bitcoin's current price. People need to update their internet etiquette.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: