Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:31:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need old BitcoinQT release (from 2011?)  (Read 198 times)
zielar (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 27, 2019, 09:42:49 PM

Hello,

I was able to recover files from a very old computer (2011) among which I also have Wallet.dat created by a client from that period (probably in version 0.3.2). This file in the current Bitcoin Core claims that the wallet is encrypted and requests a password, which has no right to have it, because it was certainly not established, which confirms the incorrectness of each of the possible passwords that I use, and the fact that as I learned today - the impossibility wallet.dat encryption at that time.
Does any of you have a working version of the Bitcoin client from that period? There is no chance to find a functioning installation anywhere, and all-day attempts to create release from source files have failed on Ubuntu due to variability of dependenies versions.
I'll just try to enable wallet on the version it comes from.

If you want - you can send me a donation to my BTC wallet address 31hgbukdkehcuxcedchkdbsrygegyefbvd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6577

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2019, 11:37:43 PM

If Bitcoin Core now thinks that the wallet is encrypted, it is either encrypted or very corrupted. Because Bitcoin Core has to maintain compatibility with previous versions, it is intentionally not possible for a valid old wallet to be misinterpreted as having new features.

zielar (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 12:45:34 PM

If Bitcoin Core now thinks that the wallet is encrypted, it is either encrypted or very corrupted. Because Bitcoin Core has to maintain compatibility with previous versions, it is intentionally not possible for a valid old wallet to be misinterpreted as having new features.

It doesn't change the fact that as a result, I currently have my own wallet file with 1.5 BTC on it, which I can't move due to the fact that it asks for a password I never assumed. I tried all methods of recovering the password using all possible options that could be a potential password, but to no avail ... nothing surprising, because the password was not there. So, I repeat my inquiry in connection with the fact that I can't think of how to try on the original client.

If you want - you can send me a donation to my BTC wallet address 31hgbukdkehcuxcedchkdbsrygegyefbvd
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2019, 08:06:28 PM

1) Make a backup of the wallet.dat file before doing anything.
2) Do #1 again.
Did you try starting Bitcoin Core with the -upgradewallet?
You should also be able to extract the keys using pywallet

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0

I can probably get you an old working windows build, but since I am just an anonymous person on the internet you really should not trust me....

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
zielar (OP)

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 08:53:20 PM

2) Do #1 again.

I know about backup's is first what i must... in all situations

Yes, I tried to run the client with all possible variables ... to no avail. Dump keys with all possible applications also does not result in what it should.

I can probably get you an old working windows build, but since I am just an anonymous person on the internet you really should not trust me....

I am aware of this ... in this situation, however, I have no choice but to be grateful if you can find it!

here is the various 0.3.2s on github
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases?after=v0.3.22rc6
looks like the zip file has a makefile, and you dont need a gui if you dont want to, mingw, should be able to run it in windows, not sure of the linux tar gz though ....
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/d787e00a3bb47c513566a8f9baef5b6b3c6d93b4
Yes, I know there are source codes packed from every version. As I mentioned - all-day compilation attempts on both linux and windows were unsuccessful due to the dependencies probably used at that time, which are now either unavailable or collide with anything else. From these old sources I am not able to compile a working version ... this result is the topic created here :-)

DaveF
Legendary

Merit: 6259

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2019, 10:26:04 PM

PMd you a link with what I have at the moment.
Let me know if you need more.
-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
keychainX

Activity: 374
Merit: 53

Telegram @keychainX

View Profile WWW
November 01, 2019, 11:41:47 AM

2) Do #1 again.

I know about backup's is first what i must... in all situations

Yes, I tried to run the client with all possible variables ... to no avail. Dump keys with all possible applications also does not result in what it should.

I am aware of this ... in this situation, however, I have no choice but to be grateful if you can find it!

here is the various 0.3.2s on github
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/releases?after=v0.3.22rc6
looks like the zip file has a makefile, and you dont need a gui if you dont want to, mingw, should be able to run it in windows, not sure of the linux tar gz though ....
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/d787e00a3bb47c513566a8f9baef5b6b3c6d93b4
Yes, I know there are source codes packed from every version. As I mentioned - all-day compilation attempts on both linux and windows were unsuccessful due to the dependencies probably used at that time, which are now either unavailable or collide with anything else. From these old sources I am not able to compile a working version ... this result is the topic created here :-)

Did you try to dump the wallet with pywallet? Its open source on github, you can find it here
https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet

You could also try btcrecover from here:
https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

If pywallet makes a correct dump you will know the wallet is not corrupted and it has a valid password.

If pywallet has problems reading it, then most probably you have a damaged file.

It is still possible to dump keys but then its usually a custom job.

Good luck!

/KX

malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Merit: 1721

View Profile
November 20, 2019, 08:50:20 PM

and the fact that as I learned today - the impossibility wallet.dat encryption at that time.

Bitcoin started supporting the encryption of private keys in version 0.4.0 which was released on 2011/09/23:

https://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/28132490/

Signature space available for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: