Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:33:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobra vs Roger Ver  (Read 289 times)
IIV (OP)

Activity: 130
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 12:43:29 PM

We know cobra as the co-owner of bitcoin.org and this forum. And Roger ver the owner of bitcoin.com and a supporter of Bitcoincash.
I saw this image in a news from bitcoin.com. https://news.bitcoin.com/the-curious-case-of-cobra-bitcoin-the-peculiar-anon-with-a-lot-of-power/
Is that last tweet really made by Cobra?
Is his twitter handle compromised?
Or is bitcoin.com Photoshopping to accuse him?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Pearls Before Swine

Activity: 1190
Merit: 306

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 01:01:34 PM

Looks to me like he had a change of heart over time, one that happened after he realized that bitcoin might not be the best form of currency for the reasons he listed, ie, high fees and long confirmations.  That's just speculation on my part, tho.  Could be that he got his twitter account hacked, but I doubt it

Personally I'm okay with bch existing peacefully along side btc.  Bch actually makes for a better form of money right now, and there are merchants that accept it along with bitcoin.  Both have value and I don't see why there's a war between each one's supporters.  There doesn't have to be.

I just found out who Roger Ver is last night by watching a youtube documentary.  I had seen his name hundreds of times here but it never meant anything to me until now. 
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 03:11:21 PM

I paid 2 cents in fees to send a few hundred dollars. (USD value) a few times in the past week and past couple of months. In BTC.

I didn't get any of the fork coins as I didn't hold BTC at the time of the forks (both or all of them, but particularly BCH and BSV, not sure about the others).

I haven't really tried paying for any services or products with BCH, but may consider it if I get some. I'll get a few to play around with, but need to sort out some things first so I'm pretty much just in BTC.

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3837

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 04:46:57 PM

Or is bitcoin.com Photoshopping to accuse him?

Eh, as far as I know the tweets are legit. As far as I remember, I've seen the tweets live.

Anyway, I'm definitely not defending anyone here, but it's really normal for people to change their minds(and sometimes even multiple times), and take note that each people has their own opinions. Heck, since the past year, I've been debating back and forth with myself if ETH is actually a decent investment or not. Might not be the same with Cobra's case, but you get what I mean. I personally don't like BCH, but hey, in a widely spread out and no-sole-leadership community, disagreements and forks are bound to happen.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
ChrisPop
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 07:26:15 PM

Bitcoin is the king and it had no serious competitor until now and in my opinion it won't have one in the next 5-10 years simply because it is the single only cryptocurrency that has passed the test of time successfully constantly appreciating in value over time. All other altcoins have seen drawdowns like some cheap penny stocks. Bitcoin Cash is just another shitcoin that drains people's wallets and increases others, practically a money generating instrument..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 01, 2019, 10:09:38 PM

I haven't really tried paying for any services or products with BCH, but may consider it if I get some. I'll get a few to play around with, but need to sort out some things first so I'm pretty much just in BTC.

From an unbiased perspective, there really isn't much of a difference in settling transactions other than Bitcoin's fees costing you a few pennies, while bcash's fees cost you 1/10th of a penny, perhaps a bit less. The crappy business ethics of BitPay however makes you pay an additional fee for using Bitcoin, which is completely retarded. No other service but BitPay does that.

If you want instant transactions and only pay 1/100th of a penny in fees, go Lightning and play around for a bit to see how fast and convenient it is.
dnprock

Activity: 324
Merit: 17

Bitflate developer

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2019, 12:49:04 AM

My view: Block size debate is a war that yielded two losers. It's kinda like the Vietnam War (North and South). Both BTC and BCH fought to solve the wrong problem. In the end people are bitter and confused. They still are. The outcome produces two coins that gain no significant user adoption. At the end of 2019, transactions are still low. We are no where near mass crypto adoption for both chains.

Block size and scaling is not the problem. The problem is in the monetary policy of limited supply.
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 01:19:33 AM

Looks like it took him almost 2 years to go to the other side. The tweets are legit, I was able to look up his account and find them in all its glory.

I doubt his Twitter got hacked, it would need to be something that was meticulously planned and the only tweets that seem that dodgy would be the ones after DEC 2017, which showcase some support of BCASH, but not enough to a point where it's obviously the person went insane or his account got hacked.

gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 01:21:54 AM

From watching his proclamations I've grown to assume several people were using the account at once. It's wavered all over the joint and often directly contradicts previous statements a short while later. Or maybe he's just monged on khat after midday.
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2019, 01:23:10 AM

I am no expert on the rivalry between the two, Cobra certainly had a change of mind overtime. For that Roger ver should have been glad he got another user  supporting for their currency but instead he used it to defame cobra.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
GreatArkansas
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1345

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2019, 01:53:34 AM

What is the date of that last tweet?
As I checked the twitter account of Cobra which is @CobraBitcoin, I can't that last tweet. Maybe it is already deleted or that image is edited.
But for me, if that is really tweet made by Cobra, it is just sarcasm because as I read most of the tweets of Cobra, you can see the humor on it and some people are commenting some sarcasm phrases.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Darker45
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1860

🙏🏼Padayon...🙏

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 03:00:09 AM

From the looks of the tweets, I don't consider that the account is hacked or compromised or even used by multiple persons. It looks like a compilation of different tweets made by Cobra himself over the past couple of years. There is obviously a gradual change of approach. I don't want to call it metanoia or change of heart. That's too unnecessarily dramatic.

Cobra must have realized later on that attacking Bitcoin Cash, just like what it is constantly doing against BTC all this time, will just consume his energy, and all for naught. That's stooping to a low level. And what has happened has happened. Cobra could not turn back time. Bitcoin Cash will stay. He must have accepted that as part of the fate of crypto.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 05:36:07 AM

I think it's a weird situation. I can't even find the most recent tweet that's labeled as 5 hours ago, scrolled all the way to June and either I'm blind and I missed it or it doesn't exist.

But damn man, this guy is a weird fella. Just scrolling past his last year of so of tweets he makes so many weird statements and contradictions, I don't think it's the real guy behind the account. Is is possible to see stats like Twitter account password changes?

Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2019, 05:58:43 AM

I am not sure what kind of character/person Cobra actually is, since they have posted very less in the forums as well as in Twitter but at times they do change their minds very often and looks like a knowledgeable and very powerfull character in the Bitcoin space as well. I am also not sure if the tweets made by them are really a sarcasm or a kind of legit phrases by Cobra themselves but these tweets seems to provide quite a few evidences that Cobra might be several persons hiding behind one single pseudonym but all of them seems to be mere speculations and none can never be proven to be true. This should probably be a very controversial topic if discussed for long as many have at times not really supported Cobra's tweets even though they seem to be trustworthy.

Either way they didn't emerge from nowhere in 2015 as many of them points out in Twitter and random blog posts, they should have earned sirius trust over the years and that should be the reason why sirius made them the co-owner of bitcoin.org.

satoshi trusted sirius and sirius trusted Cobra and Cobra trusted theymos!

See this commit from bitcoin.org github repo :

Code:
@@ -81,11 +81,11 @@ <h3 id="inactive-contributors">{% translate inactive_contributors %}</h3>
  <p>Greg Sanders<span>Documentation Writing</span></p>
</div>

<h3 id="owners">{% translate owners %} — {% translate partial_list %}</h3>
<h3 id="owners">{% translate owners %}</h3>

<div class="credit">
  <p>Martti Malmi<span>(AKA Sirius)<br>Inactive</span></p>
  <p><a href="https://github.com/theymos">Michael Marquardt</a><span>(AKA Theymos)</span></p>
  <p><a href="https://github.com/cobra-bitcoin">Cøbra</a><span>Co-Owner</span></p>
  <p><a href="https://github.com/theymos">theymos</a><span>Co-Owner</span></p>
</div>

<h3 id="github">{% translate github %}</h3>

I think it's a weird situation. I can't even find the most recent tweet that's labeled as 5 hours ago, scrolled all the way to June and either I'm blind and I missed it or it doesn't exist.
These tweets are more than a year old. You won't be able to see that by browsing new tweets.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 06:15:00 AM

i don't see any way that bcash could even be considered as a cryptocurrency even if you are not happy with how bitcoin has been moving forward. bcash is still the same centralized shitcoin that it has always been that has copied almost everything from bitcoin including the SegWit improvements even if they try to hide it! and copies are never better than the original.

I've been debating back and forth with myself if ETH is actually a decent investment or not. Might not be the same with Cobra's case, but you get what I mean. I personally don't like BCH, but hey, in a widely spread out and no-sole-leadership community, disagreements and forks are bound to happen.
don't confuse making profit with the coin actually being any good.
both ETH and BCH and a lot of other altcoins are still shitcoins and good investment at the same time while they are getting pumped. that doesn't make them a cryptocurrency though.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:16:19 AM

From an unbiased perspective, there really isn't much of a difference in settling transactions other than Bitcoin's fees costing you a few pennies, while bcash's fees cost you 1/10th of a penny, perhaps a bit less.
There is not much of a difference? I can state one massive difference.... the block size, which is 32MB versus 1MB. Bitcoin will get back to its $10 and up fee hights, while 32MB blocks provide cheap transactions consistently.

The throughput of Bitcoin is a joke, really. It should have gone past 1MB like two years ago and trending higher as the demand picks up, but no, nobody is allowed to build on top of Bitcoin because imagine people's RPI's freaking out.......

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:20:03 AM
Last edit: November 02, 2019, 08:49:16 AM by Kyraishi

i don't see any way that bcash could even be considered as a cryptocurrency even if you are not happy with how bitcoin has been moving forward. bcash is still the same centralized shitcoin that it has always been that has copied almost everything from bitcoin including the SegWit improvements even if they try to hide it! and copies are never better than the original.

I've been debating back and forth with myself if ETH is actually a decent investment or not. Might not be the same with Cobra's case, but you get what I mean. I personally don't like BCH, but hey, in a widely spread out and no-sole-leadership community, disagreements and forks are bound to happen.
don't confuse making profit with the coin actually being any good.
both ETH and BCH and a lot of other altcoins are still shitcoins and good investment at the same time while they are getting pumped. that doesn't make them a cryptocurrency though.
Those are my thoughts exactly. How does someone go from someone who supports decentralization and always wants tech to become safer and uncontrollable, to going to shilling it's number one competitor which is just a shittier version of Bitcoin. Seem's like a hack IMO.

These tweets are more than a year old. You won't be able to see that by browsing new tweets.
Ah damn then. I only went back to like Jan this year, I thought this graphic made by Bitcoin.com was fairly recent and was some new propaganda they where trying to spread throughout the community.

7788bitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1023

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:30:42 AM

We know cobra as the co-owner of bitcoin.org and this forum. And Roger ver the owner of bitcoin.com and a supporter of Bitcoincash.
Everyone started with bitcoin and then there was different schools of scaling debates and everyone wants their own version of scaling solutions to be implemented in the software and when there a lot of developers having different thoughts you tend to reach a situation we have and the main coin started splitting with the number of supporters in each scaling solutions, ultimately investors will support the solution that is viable in the long run so that it can sustain the ever growing market. If cobra holds any other fork coins it is his choice as an individual and there is nothing wrong in holding all the fork coins.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:49:20 PM

There is not much of a difference? I can state one massive difference.... the block size, which is 32MB versus 1MB. Bitcoin will get back to its $10 and up fee hights, while 32MB blocks provide cheap transactions consistently.
Transactions of bcash will be cheap indefinitely because there is no demand for that much block space. If you strip out the fake transactions they spam their own network with, they can have super cheap fees for ever even with 0.5MB blocks.

The only ever moment the larger block size of bcash was utilized by real transactions, was just after the BSV split because people had to send their coins to a newly generated address to sweep the old private key containing BSV.

The throughput of Bitcoin is a joke, really. It should have gone past 1MB like two years ago and trending higher as the demand picks up, but no, nobody is allowed to build on top of Bitcoin because imagine people's RPI's freaking out.......
Everyone is allowed to build on top of Bitcoin. No one is stopping you from doing so.  Roll Eyes

On top of that, the effective block space utilized hovers around 1.25MB and is slowly trending up. With enough Segwit adoption we should be able to climb towards ~2MB which is quite significant.
Last of the V8s
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 4392

Be a bank

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 09:51:49 PM

~
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
old news
https://twitter.com/CobraBitcoin/status/970736614275153926

Pages: [1] 2 »  All