Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:08:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [PSA][All BTC Miners Requested] or... say good-bye to the Bitcoin Network  (Read 3218 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
AJMiles (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 07:46:59 PM
Last edit: March 30, 2014, 05:38:18 AM by AJMiles

Bitcoin is headed in the wrong direction, and if we don't spread out the mining and hashing power to more pools, expect Bitcoin to crash very quickly.

Malleability issue wasn't a concern before; ever since the multi-hack-a-thon that is happening to almost all exchanges in the industry, it is a REAL BITCOIN PROBLEM.

We need something done to give the Bitcoin Network the continued power of the 'decentralized' aspect because we have two-three major pools sucking in all the hashing power since they are the largest pools yet, and will continue to grow this way (unless we do something).  They are going to be considered 'centralized pools' very soon, if not, we will be centralized soon if we keep going down this path. We are not too far from a 51% attack and possibly hurting the long-term growth of Bitcoin.

We need is more pools - hands-down!
If we spread out miners across more pools that are doing something for Bitcoin (aside from mining) this could be a good option like (DirectPool.net) and (P2Pool)

Here is a post about P2Pool asking for community help! (just recently posted)
"This is where you come in. In the past people have had trouble using some ASIC-based miners with p2pool, and unfortunately growth of p2pool began to stall. While p2pool has been holding its own in terms of hash rate, the overall network has grown, so p2pool's share has declined to the point where blocks are not being solved on a regular basis. This further discourages miners (especially smaller miners) from joining.

We badly need more miners to increase the hash rate, solve more blocks, and keep p2pool available as a pure peer-to-peer alternative to the centralized pools.  
Fortunately, p2pool is now known to work perfectly with most of the newer miners including Ant Miner S1's and Cointerra Terraminer IV (others listed on the main thread and wiki). If you have any of these, please give p2pool a try. "

Posted via https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=518920.0
DirectPool is saying the same exact thing, we need to spread out miner power.

So if you are mining on the TOP 3 BTC pools, its time for you to make a decision.

What do I recommend?
We need to organize in the thread and decide where to spend hashing power moving forward.

I have two choices as of now until someone else mentions other alternatives.

+ 1 - http://www.DirectPool.net - Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=472122.0
+ 2 - http://www.P2Pool.org - BTC Pool: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=518920.0
+ 3 - P2P > Nasty Mining's Nasty Pool and OgNasty

Let's do something asap and miners need to work together.

Who is ready to help?  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anyone4u

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:13:44 AM

basically all/most of the bitcoin mining is done in warehouses and is not in control of the people like most script coins are minus the scammers who = more than 1 gpu/person.
SolarWindMiningCompany

Activity: 966
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 03:15:50 PM

Being able to choose how and where to point your miner is an essential component if we wish to to preserve Bitcoins Decentralized Network. That is why SWMC's Hashing Exchange will be offering individuals the choice to mine at any mining pool they want, or even solo mine if they wish.

Posted From bitcointalk.org Android App

I would be more than happy to add p2p pool mining to the options.

center]
ApeSwap.
The next-gen AMM,
Staking and Farming
Protocol on BSC
           ▄██▄
          ██████
          ██████
          ██████ ▄▄███▄
          █████
███▀ ▀▀█
    ▄█████████████▌    ▀█
   ██▀  ▀█████████▄     ▀█
  ██      █████████▄
 ▄█▀       █████████▄
▀▀          ▀█████████▄
              ▀█████████▄
                ▀█████████▄
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
Stake now
for over 900% APR!
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
[/center]
AJMiles (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:05:36 PM

Being able to choose how and where to point your miner is an essential component if we wish to to preserve Bitcoins Decentralized Network. That is why SWMC's Hashing Exchange will be offering individuals the choice to mine at any mining pool they want, or even solo mine if they wish.

+1 glad to see some efforts to support p2p pool

New article to shed some light on this via @CoinDesk: "DirectPool Aims To Prevent 51% Attack with Community-First Mining Pool Approach"
Source @coindesk on 2014-03-21 http://www.coindesk.com/directpool-prevent-51attack-community-approach/
tzortz

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:37:21 PM

right.

All is Mine!

1H7LUdfx9AFTMSXPsCBror3RDk57zgnc2R
AJMiles (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:43:50 PM

right.

what bitcointalk android app?
kthejung

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 06:12:51 PM

I mine at Slush's pool, so can't blame me if things go badly.  I have no idea why people keep piling onto large pools; I get paid exactly what I am supposed to get paid at Slush's.
tzortz

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 10:55:47 PM

I mine at Slush's pool, so can't blame me if things go badly.  I have no idea why people keep piling onto large pools; I get paid exactly what I am supposed to get paid at Slush's.

How can you be so sure?

Did you check it somehow?

All is Mine!

irrational

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 11:04:23 PM

How can you be so sure?

All pools, (assuming equal fees, pays Tx fees, isn't using a wonky made up scoring system, etc) will pay out the same over time. That's just how mining works.

The large pools reduce your pay outs, but payout more frequently. The smaller pools increase the payouts, but pay out less frequently. It all works out in the end.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 02:33:28 AM

basically all/most of the bitcoin mining is done in warehouses and is not in control of the people like most script coins are minus the scammers who = more than 1 gpu/person.

hahahahah what?

I run 2.4TH in a warehouse - that makes me some sort of scammer or non-ally of bitcoin? By mid-april that number will be 4TH

I use eligius - the pool is about 7% of the network which means consistent payout but also maintains the network by being fairly small. IMO no pool should go past 20% of the network, and i they do they should charge ludicrous fees to drive people away (oh wait, BTCguild does that and its still massive)

p2pool is also a good idea, but i personally hvent given it a try yet

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
tzortz

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 10:21:29 AM

How can you be so sure?

All pools, (assuming equal fees, pays Tx fees, isn't using a wonky made up scoring system, etc) will pay out the same over time. That's just how mining works.

The large pools reduce your pay outs, but payout more frequently. The smaller pools increase the payouts, but pay out less frequently. It all works out in the end.

I am not talking about LUCK. I am talking about the fees and generally the acceptance by the pool including connection issues and errors.

I could get around 10% more on Ghash than Slush.

And I dont get LUCK in consideration.

Im located in EU.

All is Mine!

kthejung

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 03:50:29 PM

How can you be so sure?

http://www.bitcoinx.com/profit/
tzortz

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:04:32 PM

How can you be so sure?

You have no clue. Are you showing me a calculator to prove that slush is the best pool ot there?

All is Mine!

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 05:58:56 PM

Not sure what the OP is suggesting, doesn't seem like we're even close to a 51% attack on the network.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere GHash.IO would take precautions to limit the size of their pool to limit this scenario from occuring.

As of right now GHash.IO is only 25% of the network hash rate:

https://blockchain.info/pools

Even if say in the unlikely event GHash and Eligius were to merge, they'd only be at 40% of the network.

FYI, I mine at BTCGuild which is the 3rd or 4th largest pool, depending on Discus Fish, primarily for the steady payouts and the stability of the pool.

If Bitcoin is going bye bye, it won't be due to a 51% attack.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
eleuthria
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:48:31 PM

Not sure what the OP is suggesting, doesn't seem like we're even close to a 51% attack on the network.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere GHash.IO would take precautions to limit the size of their pool to limit this scenario from occuring.

Even if say in the unlikely event GHash and Eligius were to merge, they'd only be at 40% of the network.

FYI, I mine at BTCGuild which is the 3rd or 4th largest pool, depending on Discus Fish, primarily for the steady payouts and the stability of the pool.

Use http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/top.php, not blockchain.info which is inaccurate and heavily influenced by which pools are lucky/unlucky.

RIP BTC Guild, April 2011 - June 2015
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2014, 06:59:55 PM

Use http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/top.php, not blockchain.info which is inaccurate and heavily influenced by which pools are lucky/unlucky.

Noted, thanks for the link.  Looks like BTCGuild is holding up the #2 spot at 15%.

Even with the different percentages, still looks like we should safe for now from any 51% attack on the network, unless something drastic happens soon.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
N[e]wBie

Activity: 163

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 09:54:25 PM

this is why BTC is going to fail; the mining is too centralized. It is the same problem as with the fiat currencies.

BTC: 1ESZr887vTZqYtDuwwspn1jBaoRU9jMcv1
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 03:19:02 AM

this is why BTC is going to fail; the mining is too centralized. It is the same problem as with the fiat currencies.

whats your solution - everyone be forced to mine with 1 GPU only or ou will be... arrested?

its capitalism. I want to run as many machines as I can because it is making me money. I will not stop adding more hardware just because someone else doesnt

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 01:26:45 AM

As far as the decentralization of the Bitcoin network .... P2pool is the only way to go (IMO).  I have bitcoind running... Which is the backbone software needed.... So if your not running BitcoinQt or Bitcoind,  your not really part on the network....

But P2Pool isn't for everyone, But it did add a new twist to mining, So in a way its more fun to mine with your own pool...
If you can handle The 3 day ramp-up to maximum  payouts and sometimes 2-3 sad days with out a payouts or a Happy day with 2-3 payouts .
Plus over the long haul ...make more coin than most other pools.... Give it a try....

StangerG.mine.nu:9332
BG4

kthejung

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:24:52 AM

How can you be so sure?

You have no clue. Are you showing me a calculator to prove that slush is the best pool ot there?

You tell me that I have no clue and then ask me a question...  The website link I posted shows how much btc's I should be making per day with the equipment I have and that amount is the same amount that Slush's pool pays me per day; that's how I know I am paid what I deserve.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: