Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:40:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-Laundering Policies US  (Read 3086 times)
boonies4u (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 04:24:08 AM

I recently found out that the current US (Federal) Anti Money Laundering laws now cover "Stored Value Cards", such as gift cards, moneypaks, and prepaid visas/mastercards. It no longer only covers Money Orders.

How do you think this policy will affect people looking to buy bitcoins, the bitcoin economy as a whole, and money laundering in general. (Bonus points if you incorporate Silk Road)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ALPHA.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:03:23 AM

Bitcoin isn't money. It's signed certificates of speech.

If anybody tries to touch it, I cite The First Amendment.
crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 06:10:48 AM

I recently found out that the current US (Federal) Anti Money Laundering laws now cover "Stored Value Cards", such as gift cards, moneypaks, and prepaid visas/mastercards. It no longer only covers Money Orders.

How do you think this policy will affect people looking to buy bitcoins, the bitcoin economy as a whole, and money laundering in general. (Bonus points if you incorporate Silk Road)

Don't care what the state says. I'm a anarchist

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 09:49:26 AM

Some related thoughts here:
 - http://www.bitcoinmoney.com/post/11074108719

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 11:28:21 AM

It depends on how anonymous Bitcoin transaction are as to whether it matters.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
JeffK

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

I never hashed for this...

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 02:14:44 AM

I always assumed those already were under those laws.

Surely, you will defeat the courts with this argument!
onesalt

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 01:53:42 AM

What the fuck are you gibbering on about. Your posts are barely coherent piles of tripe at the best of times and then you post mounds of fucking grade-a shit like this.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2011, 06:44:49 PM

gibbering on about.

Unlike the types of physical and electronic forms of money that we've seen historically, Bitcoin is significicantly different.

When I pay cash I am physically transferring currency and/or coin from me to you.  When I pay with a credit card, I am contracting with a third party to send funds (less a fee) to the recipient.

But when making a bitcoin payment from my own wallet, the first step is that I have my Bitcoin client software create some data.  In the U.S., this is protected speech under the First Ammendment.  However to work as money, I must broadcast that data to nodes that I am peered with which will cause the data to get included in the block chain.

Creating the data for that transaction is protected as a right but using it as money doesn't mean that it is immune from other laws.

There are scenarios where let's say I had created a painting (which is another expression of free speech) and sold it but engaged in money laundering to disguise the source of the funds, I would likely be violating AML laws.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2011, 05:30:17 AM

Creating the data for that transaction is protected as a right but using it as money doesn't mean that it is immune from other laws.

What does it mean to use it as money? What if instead of using it as money you just say it, post it to a website, email it, or broadcast it to a peer? Are any of those things protected speech?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2011, 05:57:20 PM

What does it mean to use it as money? What if instead of using it as money you just say it, post it to a website, email it, or broadcast it to a peer? Are any of those things protected speech?

Those all likely would be forms of protected speech, and there is nothing I know of saying there is any legal issue with you doing so.  However, if that protected speech was for the purpose of transacting bitcoins on my behalf that action might make it so that you would be required to register as a money service business and file reports with the government, for instance.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

btc_artist

Activity: 154
Merit: 101

Bitcoin!

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2011, 06:33:31 PM

That means nothing unless you have case law to back it up.

BTC: 1CDCLDBHbAzHyYUkk1wYHPYmrtDZNhk8zf
LTC: LMS7SqZJnqzxo76iDSEua33WCyYZdjaQoE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: