Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:59:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gentlemen, buy your Bitcoins while you can still afford them.  (Read 3166 times)
GoWest (OP)

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

betwithbtc.com

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 05:31:20 AM
Last edit: November 16, 2011, 06:01:42 AM by GoWest

http://www.thebitcointrader.com/2011/11/proposed-financial-protocol-standards_15.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 05:51:54 AM

agreed!

i posted a fair bit... should be filled within hours (Canadian market)

finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 06:41:34 AM

I'll keep coins i mined, another strategy to buy.

zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 08:02:43 AM

No chance that this is treated seriously.
pent

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 08:54:46 AM

Bitcoin is potentially illegal by design. It has no implementations of comodity holder identification. Soon or far - it will be declared as illegal, terroristic and breaking the "US democracy". I will not surprise if US Gov will blame Satoshi with implication in 9/11 terroristic acts ))
HorseRider
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 11:27:37 AM

Bitcoin is potentially illegal by design. It has no implementations of comodity holder identification. Soon or far - it will be declared as illegal, terroristic and breaking the "US democracy". I will not surprise if US Gov will blame Satoshi with implication in 9/11 terroristic acts ))

Fool.

16SvwJtQET7mkHZFFbJpgPaDA1Pxtmbm5P
throughput

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 11:51:15 AM

Federated OpenTransaction nodes already obsolete proposed infrastructure, is that not true?

However, buy bitcoins anyway. Buy. Just do it. Now. As I said. Not less than over 9000 bitcoins.

Smiley
pent

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 12:53:51 PM

Fool.
fuck off
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 01:10:19 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2011, 03:42:00 PM by mjcmurfy

fuck off

A typical response from a fool.

And so what if it is 'declared' illegal? Who is going to declare this? By doing so, they are admitting their fear of bitcoin and it will only strengthen the cause. By making it illegal, they are reinforcing the ideals that drove the creation of the technology in the first place.

They tried to 'declare' alcohol illegal in the US at the start of the 20th century and look how that turned out. People who want to use it will continue to do so, legal or illegal. How can they be prevented from doing so? It is a decentralized system with no single point of failure. They cannot put you in jail or bring you to court for running a program on your PC or owning a virtual commodity that does not even exist in the tangible world of property. They might shut down an exchange or two, but new (more anonymous or else legally compliant) ones will arise.

Bitcoin is a deeply subversive technology, and the banks and governments know it. Nobody wants to broach the issue because they know they would appear powerless to do anything about it, while just giving bitcoin more attention. The elites fear bitcoin because it has the potential to take their power away and there is not a jot they can do but throw tantrums.

As for 'breaking the US democracy'... ummm, huh? What the hell are you talking about you moron? Assuming what I think you mean (and it's a BIG assumption, because its nonsense) - declaring a technology that is accepted as revolutionary by many people as illegal would be far more opposed to the ideas of democracy, don't you think? That was obviously a rhetorical, because I know you don't do much of that. Democracy in the USA is an illusion anyway - it is a plutocracy veiled behind a puppet show democracy.

I don't know why I am even bothering to respond to a post that is so far off the stupid scale that it could have been written by an amoebae.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:32:01 PM

And so what if it is 'declared' illegal? Who is going to declare this? By doing so, they are admitting their fear of bitcoin and it will only strengthen the cause. By making it illegal, they are reinforcing the ideals that drove the creation of the technology in the first place.

They tried to 'declare' alcohol illegal in the US at the start of the 20th century and look how that turned out.

Comparing the outlawing of Bitcoin to the ratification of the 18 Amendment to the Constitution is a bit of a stretch.

A more accurate historical comparison would be the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 which outlawed the personal possession of gold. In fact, it's still illegal in some states to perform financial transactions with gold.

So, historically speaking, Bitcoin is small potatoes compared to what the US government has regulated/outlawed in the past.
pent

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 01:39:50 PM

Bitcoin is anonymous money which have no smell. This is what US Gov fights against. In 2000 there was a lot of anonymous banks which ditributed anonymous cards (Parex bank in Latvia, lots of cyprus banks, etc). You could send and receive almost any amounts all over the world, cash it and nobody never asked where the money from.

After 9/11 US declared holy war against "terrorism" and started to destroy any banks with pseudo-anonymous customers, processing black and gray money.

Can you get anonymous (without documents) VISA/MC today? Show me the places.

So once bitcoin turnover will grow above some visible limit, it will be declared as illegal, facilitating drugs/weapons/terrorism activities.

And who uses bitcoin now except Silk Road, HYIPs & gamblings? Nobody. While black market has abilities to sold their stuff bypassing government control.

This will have effects in a future.
slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 02:03:24 PM

And who uses bitcoin now except Silk Road, HYIPs & gamblings? Nobody.

Don't judge others according to your own experience. I never spend a bitcent on those things.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 02:14:07 PM

Please stop trolling.

and

Payward Inc, which you might remember as the group behind Ogrr.com, has submitted two draft proposals to the IETF which, if implemented, would form the framework for the legitimization of virtual currencies like Bitcoin
Who is that "payward inc"? Why they try to mess with our bitcoin?

Also, bitcoin is just a funny game about hashing and blockchain, do you see any currency? I don't.

roos

Activity: 157
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 02:16:07 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2011, 02:28:10 PM by roos

And who uses bitcoin now except Silk Road, HYIPs & gamblings? Nobody.

Don't judge others according to your own experience. I never spend a bitcent on those things.

Yes, people are sometimes such narcissists that they dont even read the forum they are posting in before saying their own way of doing stuff is the only one that exist. I, for example, sell one of my services for bitcoins only and one can read about it in this thread of the forum...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49084.0
...and bid on them on this bitcoin auction site:
https://www.biddingpond.com/item.php?id=1035

Pent:
By trying to claim all bitcoins users are only using them for Silk Road, HYIPs & gambling you don't only insult us whom believe we are doing something a lot more serious but also make a fool out of yourself. Either by being a bitcoin user and thus implying you are using it only for the services you just mock it for or by hanging around fudging in a forum for things you neither believe in nor use.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 03:00:35 PM

If the USA and Europe declare bitcoin to be illegal, does it cease to exist?  No, because there is no centralised point of failure.

If I wanted to take down bitcoin and had the resources to do it, I would:

1) Attack (through the courts) the major exchanges.  Make their lives miserable and bury them in lawyers.  Deeply discourage any bank from cooperating with MtGox, etc.  If it's difficult to move between traditional currencies and bitcoin then the general public is much less likely to use it.

2) Smear bitcoin.  Declaring that drug dealers use it isn't enough (many people love drugs).  Setup a legit looking web site for pedophiles that takes payments in bitcoins, then bust it.  Advertise that bitcoin is the currency of pedophiles.  Nothing pushes people's button like this issue.

3) Launch a 51% attack and deny everyone else's transactions.  Expensive to set up, but not beyond the resources of a medium sized government.

4) Play with bitcoin's value.  Raise and dump the price in wild swings.  Make it so unattractive to merchants that no one would want to hold a bitcoin for more than a few hours.  Couple it with step 1.

5) Arrest and prosecute a few people for using bitcoins.  Governments know they can't chase everyone down, but they can make an example of a few to make everyone notice.
Dan The Man

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 03:16:41 PM

If I wanted to take down bitcoin and had the resources to do it, I would:

4) Play with bitcoin's value.  Raise and dump the price in wild swings.  Make it so unattractive to merchants that no one would want to hold a bitcoin for more than a few hours.  Couple it with step

But this is just adding more value to Bitcoins. To acquire enough BTC to mess with the price means buying in at some point. that means jumping the price up. You have to pay first to play.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 03:39:25 PM

If the USA and Europe declare bitcoin to be illegal, does it cease to exist?  No, because there is no centralised point of failure.

Wrong.

Global governments can make it illegal for payment processors to deal with these companies What if Dwolla were to stop processing USD for MTGOX?

So agreed that Bitcoin ITSELF doesn't have a central authority that can be controlled, but the entities that put liquid capital into the market can be controlled.
pent

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 03:39:53 PM

Please stop trolling.
The real trolling is the initial post.

To get Bitcoin legitimized, developers should make general protocol redesign and cut off all anonymous features of Bitcoin. After that it will not be Bitcoin anymore.
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 03:45:47 PM

If the USA and Europe declare bitcoin to be illegal, does it cease to exist?  No, because there is no centralised point of failure.

Wrong.

Global governments can make it illegal for payment processors to deal with these companies What if Dwolla were to stop processing USD for MTGOX?

So agreed that Bitcoin ITSELF doesn't have a central authority that can be controlled, but the entities that put liquid capital into the market can be controlled.

Irrelevant.

Once bitcoin is accepted as a currency, in and of itself, then the exchange of bitcoin for fiat money will no longer be necessary anyway. People will earn bitcoin for providing goods or services, and spend bitcoin in exchange for the same. No fiat will be needed whatsoever once enough people have confidence in the purchasing power of a bitcoin. And fiat currencies probably won't be around for much longer anyway.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 04:11:39 PM

I have been told tor and onion is illegal and that the USA and other governments o=have deemed it to be illegal? I have never been to it but have heard it is hard to destroy due to its decentralized nature. Is it still around or did they take it down with all their might?

Thanks.

Tor was actually created by the US Navy.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: