Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:57:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer S7 acting up really badly  (Read 160 times)
magnetesim (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 05, 2019, 04:49:46 AM

Whenever I start up my Antimer S7, it starts fine (at least I think). It takes a little while for it to go online, but the online miner control panel works fine. The only thing that doesn't work are the 2 hash boards, and the odd fan behavior. The first hash board works fine, but under performs heavily. It should be doing something like 1TH/s, but it only does 150GH/s (Shown in the image linked below). And for the other 2 boards, they don't work at all. I only have 1 screenshot to show, I'm a noob at this so I don't know what else to put. If you ask, I can most likely get a screenshot of it for you.
Image link (imgur) : https://imgur.com/a/hgeC0z7

P.S. for anyone saying that the Antminer S7 is outdated and inefficient, and that I should just get a newer one, I'd rather have problems like these with a 70$ beater miner, and gain some experience fixing it, than having these problems with a 500$ miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2972

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2019, 09:04:27 PM

Well if it is just for studying purposes why not repair the 2 hashboard that has dead ASIC look at the status the chain#2 only have 17 ASIC so it means the other ASICS is not detected and the chain#3 have 30 ASIC remaining but it shows "----" in status so it still not running properly but this is a PSU issue it might not giving enough power or the cable is full of rust. So replacing PSU might solve the issue.

However, for Chain#2 or the 2nd hashboard it might be because of dead ASIC chips replacing dead ASIC chips it may solve your issue.

Can you post your Kernel logs here and maybe we can see more issues under kernel logs.

Also, read this guide from bitmain to troubleshoot: Possible problems and solutions for S7, S9 (fixed frequency) & L3+

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
magnetesim (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 03:11:32 AM

Sorry for late response.

Here is the kernel log: https://pastebin.com/raw/Rk5ZxT3w
For replacing the hash board, once I buy a new one I will report back.
For the PSU, before buying a new one is there a way I can test it? I have a voltmeter if that helps. Also, I noticed that the PSU's fans are very dusty, so I will clean that up.
If chain#1 is getting power though, I don't know why chain#3 isn't though. No matter the case, thanks for your help.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2972

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2019, 08:25:03 PM

I found this under the kernel logs

Code:
[   34.677735] chain0 total asic:45
[   34.985860] chain2 total asic:17
[   35.150401] chain5 total asic:0

It seems the one hashboard is totally dead no ASIC or zero asic the chain 2 has 17 ASIC and chain0 has 45 which is all ASIC alive. This is the reason why you are getting low hashrate and unstable.

The only possible solution for this is to replace the two hashboard or if you are going to repair the chain2 and chain5 hashboard you need to replace the damaged ASIC maybe some ASIC chips are totally burnt replacing them might fix issue.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████