Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:19:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info Down  (Read 3323 times)
anth0ny

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:32:03 PM

I wouldn't leave a pennies worth of  coins on any site. They aren't insured. They screw up you lose. And most of them eventually flake out. Like GOX or Bitfloor etc.  Their is simply zero reasons to let some stranger take care of your coins. It's like letting Joe Blow take care of your savings.  Roll Eyes   

One might leave pennies worth of coins on a site because the withdrawal fees are measured in dimes. And some sites offer things that aren't available elsewhere.
anth0ny

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:33:55 PM

People don't feel comfortable transferring to an exchange for a few minutes to conduct business but will hand a waitress or waiter their credit card for 20 minutes waiting for the bill.

Well, yeah, for lots of reasons. Most importantly among them, that the credit card company is the one that takes the risk of fraudulent charges.
Bonio (OP)

Activity: 127

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:43:07 PM

People don't feel comfortable transferring to an exchange for a few minutes to conduct business but will hand a waitress or waiter their credit card for 20 minutes waiting for the bill. There's risk everywhere you go in the financial industry. Just do your homework and don't be lazy.

Credit cards are insured Smiley

anth0ny I'm in the uk. I used Gox because I'd been registered there for a long time. I didn't lose much thankfully and I wasn't storing btc there but I simply couldn't withdraw my btc that I'd bought. I just presumed Gox was trustworthy because just about every website and app quoted Gox. I wrongly presumed they were trustworthy.

People with much more experience than me got shafted. There is a lot of confusing information out there for new users of btc.

It's not about being lazy. It's about being vulnerable and misinformed.

stsbrad

Activity: 168

Brad Willman, SSCP, LTCP, MCTS,SCE,BCE

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:15:54 AM

Just cause it's insured means you can no longer give a shit? You do realize somewhere somebody pays for that right? Fucking people irritate me to no end when they say don't worry it's insured. That's why fees are so fucking expensive these days. Don't leave your fiat lying around, don't give your card to strangers, and limit your risk dealing with exchanges.
anth0ny

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:27:03 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 12:47:51 AM by anth0ny

Just cause it's insured means you can no longer give a shit? You do realize somewhere somebody pays for that right? Fucking people irritate me to no end when they say don't worry it's insured. That's why fees are so fucking expensive these days. Don't leave your fiat lying around, don't give your card to strangers, and limit your risk dealing with exchanges.

Don't give your card to strangers?

So...don't ever buy anything with a credit card?

Give me a break.

When it comes to credit cards: Don't worry. It's insured. (I think that's even one of the credit card company's slogans.)
joeventyra

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:32:38 AM

This isnt a FUD post.

I am genuinely concerned about things like this happening. Bitcoin has to become more robust or at least the people who are supposedly leading the way.

I use blockchain for my hot wallet, a very small amount in there but once again I cant access my BTC. It is all getting very tiresome.

I have been with my fiat bank for 30 odd years, I have ALWAYS been able to access my money.

BTC isnt a valid currency still.

So blockchain.info is down couple minutes and you start panicking? comeone give them a break. they have work over their head and they still manage to be online 99.(alotfnines).

Crypto world is on the way to eruption.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:01:15 AM

Have any of you uploaded your backup to multibit? I am just sitting tight with my wallet on blockchain.info
Bonio (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:20:38 AM

Have any of you uploaded your backup to multibit? I am just sitting tight with my wallet on blockchain.info

I did. Just to try it out as much as anything.

Bonio (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:28:46 AM

This isnt a FUD post.

I am genuinely concerned about things like this happening. Bitcoin has to become more robust or at least the people who are supposedly leading the way.

I use blockchain for my hot wallet, a very small amount in there but once again I cant access my BTC. It is all getting very tiresome.

I have been with my fiat bank for 30 odd years, I have ALWAYS been able to access my money.

So blockchain.info is down couple minutes and you start panicking? comeone give them a break. they have work over their head and they still manage to be online 99.(alotfnines).

It's been down several hours now. I stand by my first post. Things have to improve if BTC is going to be come accepted by the masses.

Hopefully things will become more robust.

justmyname

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:18:40 AM

I can get my coins whenever I want. Nobody can stop me. They are in my cold storage. I might send some to an exchange to trade but I won't leave any large amount on any exchange or online wallet.

Show me someone that trusts strangers on the net and I will show you the next victim. Anyone doesn't like it suck it.

Someone will spend your coins and start running a ponzi scheme every time. Could be just technical difficulty. Could also be they are having trouble covering their ponzi scheme as more withdraw funds because of GOX.         
anth0ny

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:50:39 AM

This isnt a FUD post.

It's been down several hours now. I stand by my first post. Things have to improve if BTC is going to be come accepted by the masses.

Hopefully things will become more robust.

I agree (with the part I put in bold). In terms of people who want to hold their own keys, we need robust hardware wallets. In terms of people who want their keys held by others, we need big players with long track records and lots of insurance/bonding (and ATMs or partnerships with local stores to make deposits/withdrawals ubiquitous). We also need well thought out hybrid solutions with things like split keys - solutions which I only can currently outline today because even a formal specification has not yet to my knowledge been written.

Blockchain.info is really none of this. On the other hand, I believe they're doing pioneering work with regard to things like CoinJoin. Not anything that I'd consider fit for "the masses", but important work nonetheless.

You say you had your website up since 1998. Bitcoin hasn't reached 1998 yet. This is a technical problem, but it's also a regulatory one. Unfortunately, I think we're more likely to move in the wrong direction on this one, at least at first.

As for "alotofnines", by the time that was written they were already down to about 3 nines for the year (2014), and now they're down to 2.5 or so. That's not very good, really. (I demand a full refund. Wink)
Tripjammer

Activity: 394
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 11:21:48 AM

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/03/17/service-outage-update-how-to-import-a-wallet-backup/

WishFinanceAlternative lending platform for SMEs
      ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬      Oct, XX Crowdsale  |  Aim for +YY% bonus!      ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬       
[ WishFinance tread ]  ●  [ Whitepaper ]  ●  [ Telegram ]
spooderman
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 01:36:37 PM

Society doesn't scale.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:25:42 PM

It seems pretty unrelated, but ever since the outage of blockchain.info...the LTC/BTC ratio has been surging...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: