Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:56:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else notice their OC settings just aren't getting what they used to?  (Read 143 times)
boris1044 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 06:51:26 PM

I've been mining for ~2 years and using the same OC settings (MSI afterburner) on all my rigs. Just recently (last month or so), I noticed that the total MH/s on every rig has dropped by about 5%. Has anyone else noticed this? My setup for every rig is 6x 1080 TI, Awesome Miner, MSI Afterburner, mining Ethash. Thanks!
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1412

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 07:11:36 PM

I've seen a lot of reports over the last few weeks, apparently this hashrate drop is related to the size increase of the DAG and is happening only in nvidia gpus.

boris1044 (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 2

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 07:26:01 PM

I've seen a lot of reports over the last few weeks, apparently this hashrate drop is related to the size increase of the DAG and is happening only in nvidia gpus.

Hmm this is weird. Should it only occur to low RAM model such as 1050TI since it has only 4GB for RAM?
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 08:18:21 PM

This actually happens with certain AMD GPUS also. I've had various AMD gpus since the original ETH launch back in 2016 and most of them experieced this.

It first started with the Radeon 7970/280X, at first I got like 25MH/s with a low DAG, and then 24,23,22,21,20MH/s and last time it was mineable it hashed at like 11MH/s or so.

Same issue with my R9 290, it used to get 31MH/s, and then slowly with each DAG got slower and slower and slower.

The Polaris (RX 470/480/570/580) got this issue also, however AMD actually looked into this issue and issued blockchain compute drivers to fix this issue. They for some reason didn't bother to do it on the earlier models.

So hopefully Nvidia steps up to the plate and fixes these issues before it gets very slow to mine. However the way how unprofitable it is these days, they might not have a reason too since nobody buys GPUs for mining anymore.

███████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████▀█▀████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████▀▀██████
████▀▀▀█████████████████
████████████▄▄▄▄███████
█████████████████▄▄▄████
█████████████████▀█████
████████████▀██▀████████
████████████████████████
███████████▄▄█████▄▄█████

███████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████▀▀▀
▀▄
▌░░▐▌
█████▄▄█
████████▄
████████▌
███████
███████
██████
██████
█████
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
..Play Now..
[
tg88
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1412

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 01:05:33 AM

I guess this makes sense, the larger the dag the more the memory has to work through but why would it only be effecting nvidia graphic cards?

Possibly some bug that can be fixed via driver as @adaseb commented this has happened on several AMD models in the past.
You can use the -benchmark parameter on claymore to simulate larger dags and check for hashrate impact.
bitquad

Activity: 148
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 03:32:54 AM

I've been mining for ~2 years and using the same OC settings (MSI afterburner) on all my rigs. Just recently (last month or so), I noticed that the total MH/s on every rig has dropped by about 5%. Has anyone else noticed this? My setup for every rig is 6x 1080 TI, Awesome Miner, MSI Afterburner, mining Ethash. Thanks!
My 1070 ti cards have gone from 32.5 mh/s to 34.8 mh/s after Claymore added the -strap setting for Nvidia and AMD cards in the more recent versions of the Ethereum miner.
My RX580 cards have gone from 30.5 mh/s to 31.2 mh/s with the -strap and -rxboost addon.

My 1080 ti card can still get 54 mh/s. But I have to play around with the OC settings. In the past I would down clock the core by -100 or 200 MHz. Now I notice leaving it at 0 gets better performance.

Not that it really matters because the difficulty is too high now. Last year in December my payouts peaked at 1 ETH / week. Now I'll be lucky to get 0.6 ETH / week. It would be in the developers best interest to relax the difficulty of ETH so miners have an incentive to stay in the game. I am close to the point where I say screw it! It is not worth my time, effort and expenses.
bitquad

Activity: 148
Merit: 12

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 03:53:48 AM

https://ethereum-magicians.org/t/final-request-from-the-gpu-mining-community/1050
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 03:23:50 PM

Not that it really matters because the difficulty is too high now. Last year in December my payouts peaked at 1 ETH / week. Now I'll be lucky to get 0.6 ETH / week. It would be in the developers best interest to relax the difficulty of ETH so miners have an incentive to stay in the game. I am close to the point where I say screw it! It is not worth my time, effort and expenses.

they did not make the effort like the xmr developers are doing
atleast they could have migrated the algo to a similar one which would not require much changes but kicks out current fpga and asic miners
it might have bought some time until the pos finally hits for eth
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: