Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 12:17:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of location  (Read 4799 times)
Rockefeller

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:43:38 AM

this topic relates to cheating in augmented reality games. I'm sure it is very popular still not solved problem
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 26, 2014, 11:48:27 AM

Augmented reality games or not, if real value were ever associated with proof-of-location then I'd imagine people would attempt to develop and sell location remoting services. For the system to work the value of the proof has to be less than the cost of "spoofing" a location.

In a somewhat related example, I knew of somebody who needed to trade as a non-US person on a well known Bitcoin exchange. The cost of setting up a non-US account and a secure computer in a foreign country was well within his budget given the particular circumstances. So he went ahead and did it although it cost him almost $10K. The setup served him well and in spite of AML/KYC checks he was able to trade from a fake country under a someone else's name.
BitDreams

Activity: 503
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 11, 2014, 10:38:00 PM

And who needs a project that requires proof-of-location? I don't.

Proof of Location - useful for contract law or proof of legal transaction.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2014, 10:18:06 PM

Augmented reality games or not, if real value were ever associated with proof-of-location then I'd imagine people would attempt to develop and sell location remoting services. For the system to work the value of the proof has to be less than the cost of "spoofing" a location.

In a somewhat related example, I knew of somebody who needed to trade as a non-US person on a well known Bitcoin exchange. The cost of setting up a non-US account and a secure computer in a foreign country was well within his budget given the particular circumstances. So he went ahead and did it although it cost him almost $10K. The setup served him well and in spite of AML/KYC checks he was able to trade from a fake country under a someone else's name.
I would think that it would cost a lot less then this to spoof your location.

Wouldn't it be cheaper for your friend to simply go to this location for a month, rent a room, buy a computer and actually be in this location?

This spot for rent.
MoneyBomber

Activity: 105
Merit: 6

View Profile
June 15, 2018, 11:40:36 PM

Looking at this thread, I am having so many regrets right now.
kastara

Activity: 560
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:32:48 AM

Topic is very interesting to follow, it seems this is worth following this thread so I got new experience from the topic being discussed. good luck and thank you.
WaffleMaster

Activity: 966
Merit: 546

View Profile
June 16, 2018, 12:43:40 AM

Spoofing can never be prevented as long as a piece of software relies on information from another piece of software or human...mainly how the big game companies have decided to try to "ban" GPS spoofing is from 'moving too fast' or just banning rooted devices/devices capable of spoofing. Which then you could just spoof your device to look like it isn't capable of spoofing...see the problem?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: