Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:30:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Hong Kong protesters use Btc for anything?  (Read 258 times)
crwth
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 1251

Try Gunbot for a month go to -> https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2019, 03:34:22 AM

I saw a couple of images with the situation of Hong Kong with all the protests, and it had become worse IMO. I have been there around September, and there are some vandalized places there and quite dirty compared to before when there are no protests. I have seen in the Coinbase blog that Hong Kong has the most substantial volatility now this year, 2019. [1]. The LocalBitcoins there also surged in premium prices to have BTC be interchanged with HKD. They have been very active in preventing the use of any government-connected services, and that's only one part of their whole activity. Bitcoin has been beneficial to them IMO, and I hope they continue to use BTC, so there are more volume and activity with it.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
joinfree

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260

1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 03:36:04 AM

Lol, why only sideline the protesters in Hong Kong? Anyway i guess there are no rules regarding to the ban of cryptocurrencies and even if they were i believe we would have seen all these projects that are based in there not thriving but i know most Hong Kong based projects that are doing an amazing job on the market.

The protesters on the other hand might be using bitcoin for their own purposes unknown to the world. They are fighting for a democratic change where people are free to go about their duties without the intervention and control from the government.

Crypto Enthusiast supporting innovative ideas for the Liberalization of the world from the Centralized Institutions.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 03:49:05 AM

I saw a couple of images with the situation of Hong Kong with all the protests, and it had become worse IMO. I have been there around September, and there are some vandalized places there and quite dirty compared to before when there are no protests. I have seen in the Coinbase blog that Hong Kong has the most substantial volatility now this year, 2019. [1]. The LocalBitcoins there also surged in premium prices to have BTC be interchanged with HKD. They have been very active in preventing the use of any government-connected services, and that's only one part of their whole activity. Bitcoin has been beneficial to them IMO, and I hope they continue to use BTC, so there are more volume and activity with it.
One way of showing your disappointment from the government is not to support their services. Bitcoin is a good tool serving as an alternative money if hongkong protestors will keep encouraging their people to use bitcoin the financial capabilities will be affected to the point that it might collapse if more people will be encouraged to change paces and start adopting bitcoin..
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3830

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 03:59:15 AM

One way of showing your disappointment from the government is not to support their services. Bitcoin is a good tool serving as an alternative money if hongkong protestors will keep encouraging their people to use bitcoin the financial capabilities will be affected to the point that it might collapse if more people will be encouraged to change paces and start adopting bitcoin..

Surely bitcoin does make sense in times of economic uncertainty. But let's not forget that bitcoin is currently still very volatile in price and it should be really understandable that not everyone has the stomach to just brush off potential price drops. Heck, there's a bigger chance for BTC to drop in value than the HKD. This is one of the instances that the better stablecoins(definitely not USDT) can come into play temporarily, while bitcoin still doesn't have enough liquidity for it to be decently "stable" in price.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
nydiacaskey01
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1036

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 04:02:39 AM

It doesn't add up. Hong Kong protesters + Bitcoin. So what are they trying to accomplish by doing that? Its possible that as an individual, they are a keeper or a user of Bitcoin. The reason why they are protesting does not included Bitcoin. They are protesting about the Fugitive Offenders amendment bill by the Hong Kong government. However, if you are a fugitive, having Bitcoin around is good because you can go to places where Bitcoin is legal and accepted without worrying of running out of local fiat.

When I was in Hong Kong run out of cash (HKD) and I have to convert my BTC to our local currency (PhP) then deposit to my Debit card so I can withdraw and use in Hong Kong.
Reid

Activity: 2884
Merit: 642

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 07:01:13 AM

What is with the sudden question?
Is it because China is against Bitcoin? They might use it as a rebellion to them?

It can happen but I dont think China will give a shi* about that.
If they are using it to fund their protest then it still won't matter.
China gets what they want by now. They cannot do anything about it anymore although they are self governing.
They are still a region of China and they must still obey.
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1069

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2019, 07:01:24 AM

They seem quite a tech literate bunch, so I thought they might?

Everyone tech savvy people uses bitcoin and Hong Kong is a crypto friendly nation. So, they are much more familiar to crypto and their use.
But the situation of transferring money and goods in Hong Kong is not as bad as Mainland China. Mainland Chinese are using more bitcoin than Hong Kong people. And with the blockade, normal Hong Kong might need to use Bitcoin more than the protesters.

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███