Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 09:01:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D3 Temp 253 Centigrade - Impossible - Help  (Read 122 times)
lilcrash (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 16, 2019, 07:20:20 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2019, 07:32:31 PM by lilcrash

Hey all,

New here as a member to the forum but have gained a lot of knowledge from everyone before becoming a member. Apparently not enough.

I started having problems with my D3 last night. All boards stopped hashing and the kernel log showed that it had reached 85c twice and shutdown. This is the first it's happen since running for months.

Upon reboot all boards came back up except card 1 showed that the PIC was having trouble reading the temp.

I did a reset of the firmware back to factory and everything looked okay except for a few issues: card 1 54 asic, 22 centigrade, card 2 54 asic, 64 centigrade, card 3 60 asic, 67 centigrade.

The entire time I've owned this nothing has ever gone beyond 70 centigrade on the chip temp, and pcb temp stays at 50.

Card 1 didn't seem to be hashing as well with the others but the temp didn't ever go up, I monitored it for a couple hours while also searching around for a solution to the problem, so I ruled it out as a problem with the firmware, set the mhz to a low level and went to bed.

Woke up and card 1 temp was showing 253 centigrade, which is impossible as the whole thing would be up in smoke. I unplugged the unit and am now asking for help diagnosing the problem on this thing before I burn my house down. And yes I know they aren't profitable but they make a great heater and gave me a chance to dip into the crypto mining which has been a lot of fun. https://prntscr.com/pxwb1z <--Screenshot of miner temp

The only recent change I can think of that may have caused this was changing over to a new router, but I have an L3+ and a L3++ that was also changed over at the same time and they are showing working just fine with temps in the low 60's.

The ambient temperature where the D3 is running is around 55 - 60 F, on a open rack. Power supply unit is a 1200 Watt.

Any help, suggestions, or ideas would be most appreciated!

Thank you Smiley

d57heinz
Legendary

Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011

Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks

View Profile
November 16, 2019, 11:21:58 PM

Try to remove the top mining pool. Cut and paste the top row into a text doc to revert back to. This will allow it to connect to Antpool instead.  Then clock it down a few settings.  Turn fan on 100%. More than likely it’s a failing pcb or chips themselves . Down clocking will lower the amperage thru the board possibly keeping it alive. Also if it’s a failing power supply this will allow it to have a little less load on it.  If you don’t have a spare psu try disconnecting all boards But one and keep the controller try them one by one  I see it hasn’t submitted a share in over 2.5 hours. So it’s def shutting down due to overheat alarm being triggered    I’ve seen this before when it went below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. A bug in the code wouldn’t allow it to show negative numbers. So it would go to 253. I would have to heat it with hair dryer to get it warm enough to start hashing again.  I’ll be honest these machines are a bit buggy.  I’d be surprised if home users get more than 4-5 years out of them.  They run too darn hot. It’s hard on components.  Hope you get it up and rolling again.

BR
Doug

As in nature, all is ebb and tide, all is wave motion, so it seems that in all branches of industry, alternating currents - electric wave motion - will have the sway. ~Nikola Tesla~
lilcrash (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2019, 08:21:26 AM

Try to remove the top mining pool. Cut and paste the top row into a text doc to revert back to. This will allow it to connect to Antpool instead.  Then clock it down a few settings.  Turn fan on 100%. More than likely it’s a failing pcb or chips themselves . Down clocking will lower the amperage thru the board possibly keeping it alive. Also if it’s a failing power supply this will allow it to have a little less load on it.  If you don’t have a spare psu try disconnecting all boards But one and keep the controller try them one by one  I see it hasn’t submitted a share in over 2.5 hours. So it’s def shutting down due to overheat alarm being triggered    I’ve seen this before when it went below 0 degrees Fahrenheit. A bug in the code wouldn’t allow it to show negative numbers. So it would go to 253. I would have to heat it with hair dryer to get it warm enough to start hashing again.  I’ll be honest these machines are a bit buggy.  I’d be surprised if home users get more than 4-5 years out of them.  They run too darn hot. It’s hard on components.  Hope you get it up and rolling again.

BR
Doug

I will give all this a go! Thank you so much for the advice. Will update with results Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: