Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:37:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain.info down?  (Read 2370 times)
snarlpill (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:41:46 AM

Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to BTC though I've been following it for a while. Earlier I was going to check the balance of my main wallet, and noticed blockchain.info was down for maintenance. That was a couple hours ago and it still is, but I was just wondering if that is a common occurrence, and if so how long on average it is. I guess this would be a good time to get the fractions of a coin I have backed up on a paper wallet?

Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:44:45 AM

Well in the meantime you could try the other websites that offer similar functionality.

blockr.io and blockexplorer.com to name a few.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:45:30 AM

Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to BTC though I've been following it for a while. Earlier I was going to check the balance of my main wallet, and noticed blockchain.info was down for maintenance. That was a couple hours ago and it still is, but I was just wondering if that is a common occurrence, and if so how long on average it is. I guess this would be a good time to get the fractions of a coin I have backed up on a paper wallet?

I believe you can import your aes.wallet.json file into Armory.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:46:22 AM

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/03/17/current-service-outage/

And the update on that:

https://blog.blockchain.com/2014/03/17/service-outage-update-how-to-import-a-wallet-backup/

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:54:30 AM

rule 1. dont rely on a single third party, be decentralized. use them all...

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
GambitBTC

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:55:19 AM

Or learn how to store coins securely yourself, without having to rely on a third party site that can experience downtime
Clark

Activity: 548
Merit: 502

So much code.

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:56:07 AM

To answer another of your questions: No, blockchain.info is rarely down for maintenance. Today's outage is definitely a fluke.

Full disclosure: I am working for Blockchain Wink

But I have been using the service for the past few years, before I was part of the team. The site was almost never down.

tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:57:00 AM

What does that accomplish? Blockchain is the easiest and most complete. Unless there starts being some kind of "funny business" at blockchain.info, why use anything else?
GambitBTC

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:58:11 AM

What does that accomplish? Blockchain is the easiest and most complete. Unless there starts being some kind of "funny business" at blockchain.info, why use anything else?

Because u can assure that you have complete control of your funds at all times.
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:09:58 AM

hopefully blockchain.info will be up soon...have the elaborated on the problem, or just said that it is a database bug?
snarlpill (OP)

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 03:21:50 AM

Thanks for the information guys.

That is good advice. I have 3 different wallets in theory, though 2 of them are just different sites I used to deposit USD and buy BTC, and the main one I use for my assets is Blockchain.

That's more or less how I felt about the situation. To my fairly n00b self, blockchain.info has always seemed legit, and seems to be an integral part of the BTC community. Plus it is a one-stop shop for me where I can check blocks for transactions, see charts, etc.

biteasy

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 04:48:39 AM

Well in the meantime you could try the other websites that offer similar functionality.

Biteasy.com as well Smiley
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:15:00 AM

Just going to plug coinbase.com now, because it's a great company.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:58:29 AM

red alert on blockchain.info with chief scammer in charge

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:04:33 AM

epic they have a bitcoin foundation member on their twitter page LoL

that's professionalism down to a tee

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:32:12 AM

Still no eta on when functionality will be restored?
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:37:12 AM

epic they have a bitcoin foundation member on their twitter page LoL

that's professionalism down to a tee

Do you mean Andreas Antonopoulos, the Chief Security Officer at blockchain.info?
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:30:42 PM

Have not used biteasy yet. Looks promising though. Does it have a pushtx API yet?

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
biteasy

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 01:12:58 AM

Have not used biteasy yet. Looks promising though. Does it have a pushtx API yet?

No it does not at the moment but we are planning to add it soon.
clownius

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:30:55 AM

That's more or less how I felt about the situation. To my fairly n00b self, blockchain.info has always seemed legit, and seems to be an integral part of the BTC community. Plus it is a one-stop shop for me where I can check blocks for transactions, see charts, etc.

Mtgox was once and Integral part of the BTC community.  Think about that and be afraid.

Major scam after major scam has come from Integral parts of the BTC community.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: