Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 09:34:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't remove BRAIINS OS or Update Firmware on S9  (Read 259 times)
cottora (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 9

View Profile
November 22, 2019, 09:58:33 PM

When I try to update the Firmware I get "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

I have tried the S9 fixer firmware, Awesome Miner, and latest S9.  It seems that BRAIINS has it locked.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6382

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
November 22, 2019, 11:46:47 PM
Last edit: November 23, 2019, 10:47:05 AM by frodocooper

Are you running BraiinsOs on an SD card or have actually installed it on NAND ? I see no reason why would BriaiinsOs lock you out of your miner, nobody has ever reported such an issue, my guess is that you are running the firmware on an SD card, and trying to install another firmware on the NAND while the jumper setting on the miner's control board is still set to boot from SD card, while this should work if the SD card is good and you doing it  right, you can change the jumper on JP4 to match the position of JP1 , remove the SD card, start the miner, and it will take you the previous firmware which is installed on your NAND.

Refer to the image below, from https://docs.braiins-os.org

Another option would be installing Bitmain firmware on that Sd card, boot from it and flash the NAND with bitmain firmware , you can find the tools you need here > https://service.bitmain.com/support/download?product=Flashing%20SD%20card%20with%20image

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cottora (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2019, 02:57:52 AM
Last edit: November 23, 2019, 10:47:56 AM by frodocooper

Thank you!!!  I will give this a try when I get back.  I really appreciate your help as I couldn't find anyone that had a clue what to try...!

There is no SD card in the slot.  Also, I wouldn't say that I am locked out as I can change settings and the unit works.  I just can't change the firmware.

I am interested in trying the SD card but I don't see firmware for an S9.  Is there no way to just do a hard reset?  I have tried the IP button and reset and it still boots to BraiinsOs.  Thanks again!
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2972

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2019, 09:04:15 PM

When I try to update the Firmware I get "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

You will get this error if you are trying to flash the s9 miner with default firmware in the Braiins OS WebGUI.
There is no way back if you flash the Braiins OS in the WebGUI but you can flash it through SD card as suggested above.

There is no SD card in the slot.  Also, I wouldn't say that I am locked out as I can change settings and the unit works.  I just can't change the firmware.

I am interested in trying the SD card but I don't see firmware for an S9.  Is there no way to just do a hard reset?  I have tried the IP button and reset and it still boots to BraiinsOs.  Thanks again!

If there is no SD card in the slot you need to provide. Buy a new SD card and make a bootable SD card and put the default firmware the guide is already posted by mikeywith.

What you need to do is to use the SD card to make a bootable SD card(Where the default firmware of antminer s9 is installed) to flash the control board of s9 miner. It is likely you are going to format your PC or laptop to install a fresh OS.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2019, 10:57:26 PM
Merited by Heisenberg_Hunter (1)

That is correct, there is no way to do a "hard reset". From BraiinsOS you cannot upgrade to any other firmware using the bOS web ui, it only accepts bOS images. Reset only clears to default values, it cannot magically restore a firmware that doesn't exist anywhere.

To put factory firmware using SD card, you have to use their official guide, which involves the T9+ firmware. Don't ask why, that's Bitmain for you...

Once you have installed the T9+ firmware, boot into that and use the web ui to upgrade to the proper S9 firmware. You will not hash until you do that.

Braiins OS doesn't lock anything, you are simply doing things wrong.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
cottora (OP)

View Profile
November 24, 2019, 12:28:27 AM

Thanks!  The SD card flash did indeed work!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: