Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:32:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [18-03-2014] Mt. Gox Allowing Users to Login, Check Balances  (Read 1669 times)
lfcg83 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:17:17 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/mt-gox-allowing-users-login-check-balances

I want to see my lost coins there, but we really dont know who is in control of that page anymore.
what do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:28:00 AM

I am also not sure, if I should log in or not ...

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
Gotgoxed

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:35:08 AM

I had no problems doing so! Cheesy
turvarya

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:37:22 AM

Ok, I did log in.
My EUR-Balance which was pending in being send via SEPA doesn't Show up.
Not that I really have much hope, that I am getting back anything from there ...

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 11:07:48 AM

log in and you will see....nothing! just numbers from the wonderland. you will never get a penny back.

maybe Mark sells the data again?

IYFTech

Activity: 686

WANTED: Active dev to fix & re-write p2pool in C

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 11:39:54 AM

Why on earth would any sane person want to log on to a site that has bitcoin stealing malware on it?

Think about it. Then don't do it. Really  Roll Eyes

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
Massimo80

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:08:31 PM

Stop the FUD, please.

The site is legit, whe may not know who actually controls the company now, but the site belongs to the same Mt.Gox we used to know.

It's no phishing site, it correctly accepts user credentials (although TFA is not required anymore), and it displays your account's real balance. At least, it does for me. Please remember that Mt.Gox balance never showed pending transfers, thus if you requested a fiat withdrawal it would be normal (at least according to Mt.Gox's previous behaviour) to not see it there while it's stuck in the transfer queue.

Last but not least, there is no malware at all here.
IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:50:09 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 01:27:04 PM by IYFTech

Stop the FUD, please.

The site is legit, whe may not know who actually controls the company now, but the site belongs to the same Mt.Gox we used to know.

It's no phishing site, it correctly accepts user credentials (although TFA is not required anymore), and it displays your account's real balance. At least, it does for me. Please remember that Mt.Gox balance never showed pending transfers, thus if you requested a fiat withdrawal it would be normal (at least according to Mt.Gox's previous behaviour) to not see it there while it's stuck in the transfer queue.

Proof? Official Gox statements? Links? Sources?

An insolvent, compromised, cheating, bankrupt company under criminal investigation for fraud & theft who's owners have had their assets frozen suddenly allowing users to log on?

Go for it  Cheesy Cheesy

-- Smiley  Thank you for smoking  Smiley --  If you paid VAT to dogie for items you should read this thread:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1018906.0
turvarya

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:56:09 PM

Stop the FUD, please.

I just don't like that "stuck in the Queue" behaviour. It should be canceled, schouldn't it? I mean, there is not really a Queue anymore, that is going to process further.
But sure, that just means, that MtGox didn't put much thought into this allowing of Logins.

dave111223
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:06:14 PM

we may not know who actually controls the company now, but the site belongs to the same Mt.Gox we used to know.

Hm....what..."we don't know who controls it"  ...."but is the same people"...nice contradiction.

My login/password didn't work but had an zero (or almost zero balance)...and that does look a bit suspect so I'm not about to start trying other random passwords.
Massimo80

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:34:10 PM

Proof? Official Gox statements? Links? Sources?

It's on their home page, exactly where all legal statements have been published before.

Go for it  Cheesy Cheesy

Sure. Why not?
They already know my login details and my account balance, and the site doesn't allow anything else than having a look at it.

It may be completely useless, and it may not offer any new hope about being actually able to get my money back. But certainly it's not a danger as FUD-spreading people seem to think.
IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:02:21 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Yes, how dare I make judgement on such an upstanding & honorable company with such a trusted reputation....... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Let it go. It's gone.

Massimo80

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:08:36 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Yes, how dare I make judgement on such an upstanding & honorable company with such a trusted reputation....... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ok, please try to at least answer this seriously.

I'm not defending Mt.Gox on anything, but how does it make any sense at all to criticize them... because they're now allowing you to login and look at your balance?
Why spread total nonsense like "it's phishing" (which it isn't) or "there's malware on that site" (which isn't there)?

I'm all for giving Mt.Gox a hard time. I know very well how much money I've (very likely) lost there. But spreading bullshit isn't going to help anyone.

IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:35:59 PM

Ok, please try to at least answer this seriously.

I'm not defending Mt.Gox on anything, but how does it make any sense at all to criticize them... because they're now allowing you to login and look at your balance?
Why spread total nonsense like "it's phishing" (which it isn't) or "there's malware on that site" (which isn't there)?

I'm all for giving Mt.Gox a hard time. I know very well how much money I've (very likely) lost there. But spreading bullshit isn't going to help anyone.

OK, as you are relatively new, I will try to explain it for you - as you seem unable to conduct a google search or read/research the bitcointalk forum for any details. First of all, MtGox has been hacked & it's database leaked:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/03/17/mtgox_blog_hackers_malware_bitcoin_stealers/
http://it-beta.slashdot.org/story/14/03/17/2220236/kaspersky-mt-gox-data-archive-contains-bitcoin-stealing-malware

This means that the entire system has been compromised & that nothing can be considered.............ah fuck it, why am I bothering? Just google "MtGox" then add the words hack, database, lies, fraud, steal or anything of a similar vein after it & you'll find out...... Wink

Really, I'm sorry for your loss if you've lost anything, but don't be so naive or lazy. Do some research & stop calling people bullshitters for trying to wake you up.

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 03:36:40 PM

Let it go. It's gone.

Mark will give Info "soon´ish"  ...oh wait ,  here it is:

IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:45:42 PM

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy That's just tooooo accurate......

LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 04:05:13 PM

he always loved good communication  Wink

Massimo80

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:09:24 PM

This means that the entire system has been compromised

Yeah, I know. Very well. Although you seem to imply I'm quite misinformed here, that's definitely not the case.

However, legal statements about Mt.Gox's bankruptcy (or protection thereof) have been appearing on http://mtgox.com for a while, and there's no doubt those, at least, are legit. So it's a good guess that at least the website is still in the company's possession and is not some phishing site; this, of course, can also be double-checked by having a look at the DNS record, the IP address it points to and the SSL certificate on the site itself. And indeed there is no malware there (or anything even remotely executable), neither there is any asking for information or payments, unlike f.e. some otherwise unknown UK legal firm which is asking for 2 BTC upfront only to give you some legal counsel, which is of course completely useless, as any legal action against Mt.Gox can't even be filed while it's under bankruptcy protection.

BTW, that supposed "data leak" is months old, while my balance showing now on Mt.Gox's site is updated to the very moment the site halted trading; so it's definitely more legit. And malware was actually found in the "leaked" files, which nobody can know for sure by whom has been stolen and manipulated before getting "out".

Thus, my question still stands: what's all this talking about "phishing" and "malware" on Mt.Gox's web site for?

Mt.Gox decided to let users log in and check their balance. Again, this may of course be completely useless, and indeed doesn't guarantee anything about getting that money back. But going around saying this is fake, or dangerous, or phishing/malware/scam, or anything else than "users are again allowed to check their balance", is just FUD.

IYFTech

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:17:07 PM

It's like some corny quiz show host saying: "Let's have a look at what you would have won!" before whisking it away into the producers garage for safe keeping..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

epetroel

Activity: 431
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:17:50 PM

Just noticed as well that it doesn't force you to use HTTPS for the login, so if just go to mtgox.com without explicitly using https://mtgox.com you may be submitting your username/password oven an unencrypted channel.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: