Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:17:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Mining Controller - An sgminer/cgminer controller for Windows  (Read 700 times)
jcw (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:21:43 AM

When I started mining using cgminer on my primary desktop's video card, it soon became apparent that the graphics lag it introduced when running at maximum hash rate made the computer practically unusable.

In the interest of making the mining act more like an unnoticeable background process, I created a .NET 4.5 application to cause it to "throttle down" when the computer was in use, and even completely pause mining when "important processes" (e.g. games) were detected.

After spending some time to polish it up and add a few extra features (like window hiding and a historical hash rate graph), I have released it under a permissive open source license in the hope that others will find it useful as well.

Latest Version:

MiningController-v1.0.1+2.stable.git5c47e93a

Note that Mining Controller controls the miner through its API - it does not do any mining itself.

Screenshots (click for larger version):

Automatically reducing hash rate when computer is active:
https://raw.github.com/jcw-/MiningController/gh-pages/images/screenshots/Screenshot1.png

Automatically pausing mining while playing a game:
https://raw.github.com/jcw-/MiningController/gh-pages/images/screenshots/Screenshot3.png

Problems?

If you find an issue, please visit the issue tracker and report it.
NameTaken

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:23:07 AM

I use my iGPU when mining so I don't get screen lag or reduced hashrate.
jcw (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:28:01 AM

If you also have a discrete GPU, my understanding is that you could use Mining Controller against that instance and mine on both!
NameTaken

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:41:14 AM

If you also have a discrete GPU, my understanding is that you could use Mining Controller against that instance and mine on both!
I do use discrete graphics cards for mining. The display output source is set to the iGPU in the motherboard BIOS. I am unaware of CG/SGMiner of being to able mine with Intel iGPU or why I would even if it could.
jcw (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:52:33 AM

I do use discrete graphics cards for mining. The display output source is set to the iGPU in the motherboard BIOS. I am unaware of CG/SGMiner of being to able mine with Intel iGPU or why I would even if it could.

So you have your monitor(s) connected to your onboard video card? That sounds like a good way to avoid the display lag if you didn't want to play games or otherwise leverage one of the discrete GPU's. In my situation, my primary desktop is used for gaming a fair amount, so using the onboard video card isn't really an option for me.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:53:48 AM

Nice utility.  Smiley

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
███████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
NameTaken

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 05:55:15 AM

So you have your monitor(s) connected to your onboard video card? That sounds like a good way to avoid the display lag if you didn't want to play games or otherwise leverage one of the discrete GPU's. In my situation, my primary desktop is used for gaming a fair amount, so using the onboard video card isn't really an option for me.
Yes, even an Intel Celeron will have no problem displaying triple 1080p monitors without lag while mining.
NameTaken

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:03:40 AM

With an AMD APU such as the 7850K, you're able use that to play games such as Battlefield 4 and Titanfall on high graphics while your discrete graphics cards are mining.
Wipeout2097

Activity: 840
Merit: 255

SportsIcon - Connect With Your Sports Heroes

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:10:09 AM

NameTaken, this utility clearly is not for you. Your situation does not require it, otoh many people (e.g. gamers that are casual miners) will appreciate it.

OP, again, thanks for share.

██▀       ▀█       ▀████████████        ▀█         █▀       ▀██
██   ▀██▄▄▄█   ██   ████████████   ███   ████   ████   ▀██▄▄▄██
███▄     ▀██       ▄████████████       ▄█████   █████▄     ▀███
██▀▀▀██▄   █   █████████████████   █▄  ▀█████   ████▀▀▀██▄   ██
██▄       ▄█   █████████████████   ██▄  ▀████   ████▄       ▄██
██       ██▀      ▀█████████████    ▀██   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▄██▄   ████████████     ▀█   █████████████████████
████   ███   ████████   ████   █   ▄  ▀   █████████████████████
████   ███   ▀██▀   █   ████   █   █▄     █████████████████████
██       ██▄      ▄███        ██   ██▄    █████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████                                                             ████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████          ████████████████                                 ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██