Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:59:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I want to trade BitMex contracts. What should I know before touching them.  (Read 91 times)
tbterryboy (OP)

Activity: 1918
Merit: 322

View Profile
November 25, 2019, 08:54:15 AM

I read with 1 BTC deposit, I will be able to trade 100BTC worth of contracts. Also, it is mentioned that there is no expiry for their contracts. Does it mean I will be able to hold if my position is even at losses? How exactly it works?

I have experiences of trading forex with leverage. When my position goes in losses then they will auto-close my position when my actual bankroll is reaching 10% of my original value. Bitmex is also doing the same?

If you have experience with bitmex's leveraged trading, please share how to make use of their leveraged trading with calculated risk.

I want to risk some 0.1BTC for leveraged trading. But, I will buy contracts for 0.01BTC (10% of my total capital) and possibly with less leverages like 5x (to play safe).

With 0.01 BTC, I guess I may able to buy 0.05BTC worth of contracts (at 5x leverage) and if bitcoins moves up some $100 or $500, how much I will be able to profit.

For negative side, I leave 0.09 BTC unused and I opt only 5x leverage, so how long I will be able to hold my position for waiting so that prices to recover.

For example, I buy contracts at $6700 levels and BTC reaches $6900 levels. How much I could make with risk of 0.1BTC (with actual trade of 0.01BTC with 5x leverage).

I do see lots of guides on bitmex, but none of them directly answering my questions.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
November 25, 2019, 08:12:36 PM

I read with 1 BTC deposit, I will be able to trade 100BTC worth of contracts.

100x leverage means your position will be force liquidated if the market moves < 1% against you. prepare to lose your 1 bitcoin!

Also, it is mentioned that there is no expiry for their contracts.

that's for perpetual swap contracts. they also offer traditional futures contracts.

Does it mean I will be able to hold if my position is even at losses? How exactly it works?

no matter what instrument you are trading, your position value must remain above your maintenance margin, otherwise you will be liquidated:

Maintenance Margin is the minimum amount of Bitcoin you must hold to keep a position open. If your margin balance on BitMEX drops below this level your position will be taken over by the Liquidation Engine and be Liquidated.
https://www.bitmex.com/app/faq#What-is-Maintenance-Margin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: