Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:00:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold wallet transmissible to my heir in a trust-minimized fashion.  (Read 250 times)
ilovecoins2014 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 05, 2019, 10:40:14 AM

By design, with our wallet, the secret keys are really yours (created from your own entropy) and are always kept offline.
They aren't, though. A phone in airplane mode is not an isolated device, and as I said above, your phone carrier, Google, and who knows who else can still send and receive data to phones which are in airplane mode. Similarly, even if you delete the wallet before turning off airplane mode, there is no guarantee that the files don't still exist and are accessible on your phone's storage, and could be transmitted to a third party at a later date. Cold storage has to be permanently air gapped.

We are still at an alpha stage (that's why we propose to test our wallet with our money). We will obviously release the source code of the app once we are past this stage and publicly release our product.
Fair point.

Instead, our only incentive is to play by the rules and hopefully turn your heir into our customer.
Another fair point. My only concern is your statement that you do not know the value of the wallet - we do not know that to be true until your source code is released.

If we go out of business, we'll use a customary 12-month sunset period
There is no way you can guarantee that. If you go out of business because you don't have any money left, how will you pay for your servers to stay up for 12 months to complete pending transmissions?

Offline Android Device

Once our app is installed on an Android device of your choice (like a repurposed old Android phone for example), the device must be:
. kept offline for good,
. used exclusively for our app.

To ensure you keep your Android device offline for good, if you don't trust Android's airplane mode, you have two possibilities imo.

1) You can ask your local mobile shop to physically remove remote connectivity from your device (i.e. remove sim card slots, wifi modem, bluetooth...) before using our app. I did that myself on different Android devices (it is straightforward, usually costs $5-20 depending on where you are located, and takes less than 15 minutes).

2) You can simply remove the SIM card, delete all WIFI configurations, and never connect again to any networks once our app is installed.

In both cases, there will be no way for your Android device to ever transmit any wallet-related information beyond the information transmitted via QR codes.

Going out of business

To keep a minimal Amazon instance running (that's all we need to just send out pending information to heirs) costs USD8 a month. Therefore, even if we were to go out of business, we should be able to afford this insignificant amount for a year (enough to complete any pending commitments). And we'll have a strong incentive to do so. Indeed, paying for that last tiny cost will allow us to at least keep our head up after the failure and possibly prepare our next move with happy former customers lining-up... ;-)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ilovecoins2014 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 2

View Profile
December 05, 2019, 11:07:26 AM
Last edit: December 06, 2019, 02:13:53 AM by ilovecoins2014

What if someone goes to jail for 13 months ... and you go out of business the day the person is incarcerated? 12 months is too short, there has to be a way to do it without relying on the company.

12 months would be sufficient in the use case you mention since our longest plan lasts 12 months. Therefore, assuming the person originally purchased a 12-month plan and goes to jail the next day for more than 12 months without access to her/his wallet, then, after 12 months, her/his heir will receive the information to take control of her/his wallet.

As I said earlier, if we stop activity tomorrow, we will obviously stop accepting customers. And from then on, we will keep an Amazon instance active for 12 months to send out any pending information to heirs (the cost of doing so for a year is insignificant, i.e <USD100).

I agree that no solution is perfect. However, most people still have no solution to transmit their wallet to their heir after their death. Our solution is easy, affordable, flexible (you can enjoy your wallet till the end and change your beneficiary at any time), non-custodial, anonymous, and non-exclusive. Indeed, beyond our service, you can also put in place additional backup solutions.
usingbitcoin

Activity: 15
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 07, 2020, 05:53:27 PM

I tried out this wallet and it definitely looks good so far.

I did notice there is a "withdraw from wallet" fee of about 0.1%. Is that correct? I assume this is part of the business model as the app is free and it is free to deposit into the wallet, but there is a cost to withdraw.

Using an android device for the cold wallet seems pretty secure to me by using the following workflow:

1. factory reset android device
2. add google account to device (If I remember correctly, if using 2FA with the google account, you will need to enter this code as well when adding your account to the device)
3. add a unique password to the startup of the device or when the device is locked
4. turn on wifi and connect to your own wifi
5. download app from play store
6. turn off wifi and forget wifi connection
7. run app and create a wallet with your own entropy or restore your wallet
8. add unique password to the app
9. use wallet normally
10. if the app is updated, then start at step 1

One thing I am not sure of though:

When I want to send BTC to another wallet and I am using the selftrust.me website, how do I know the app on the cold wallet phone is not sending the seedphrase/private keys to the selftrust.me website to be stored? This could be just an inherent limitation of wallets in general as we will always have to trust the wallet/seed generator to some extent, just as I have to trust in the full node I am running.

It would be nice if I could specify my full node for this wallet.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: