Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 07:12:00 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does this count as Identity Fraud/Falsifying Documents?  (Read 191 times)
Theb (OP)

Activity: 1680
Merit: 655

View Profile
November 30, 2019, 07:16:11 PM
Last edit: December 01, 2019, 06:29:26 PM by Theb

So I've been browsing the Service Announcement board and I stumbled upon this thread [Archived] where his services are about using someone else's KYC to verify locked out accounts from users on crypto exchanges or for any websites that locked their accounts due to lack of KYC.

Hello members of Bitcointalk,

I offer a service that assists people who are not able to withdraw cryptocurrency from their exchange accounts.

The service I provide is KYC assistance wherein I work with an information donor in person to recover your funds. In this way, I am able to provide real documents on demand when and how the exchange requires them.

Upfront it looks like a good service for people who have locked their accounts because of the lack of KYC but the question is if this kind of service is even legal in the first place? The first thing that pops in my mind are Identity Fraud which is the misuse of someone else's documents for their own personal gain, the problem here is if the KYC obtained is with consent from the original owners of those KYC information but it might be different with some countries so the next thing I see is the possibility of this being about falsification of documents. Even if the KYC being provided is real the user who will use it is providing fake information of themselves just to unlock their accounts which counts as deception and fraud on their part. So what do you think about this service?

Update

Save existing threads from this user.

..bustadice..         ▄▄████████████▄▄
     ▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
   ▄███████████    ███████████▄
  █████    ████▄▄▄▄████    █████
 ██████    ████████▀▀██    ██████
██████████████████   █████████████
█████████████████▌  ▐█████████████
███    ██████████   ███████    ███
███    ████████▀   ▐███████    ███
██████████████      ██████████████
 ██████████████▄▄▄▄██████████████
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
██████████████████████████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8982

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2019, 07:25:28 PM

It's fraud no doubt. Whether it's against the forum rules is another question. This:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1785577.0

Accounts on sites that require KYC such as bank accounts, PayPal, etc. are assumed to be hacked unless you explain why they're not hacked.

seems to suggest that it is not allowed to obtain KYCed accounts, which to me seems like almost the same thing as what you're describing, but there is no actual hacking involved so I don't know.

The other thing is that some exchanges engage in frivolous KYC demands that are essentiall confiscating customer's funds. While I wouldn't suggest to use fake documents to bypass that, I can imagine why some users with substantial amounts at stake might consider it.
Theb (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2019, 08:18:03 PM

seems to suggest that it is not allowed to obtain KYCed accounts, which to me seems like almost the same thing as what you're describing, but there is no actual hacking involved so I don't know.

The other thing is that some exchanges engage in frivolous KYC demands that are essentiall confiscating customer's funds. While I wouldn't suggest to use fake documents to bypass that, I can imagine why some users with substantial amounts at stake might consider it.

The problem with this service is even though it has good intentions of unlocking your account the way it provides isn't a legal way and it can backfire to the user if the KYC submitted was proven falsified on his end and the exchange might use it against them, permanently locking your funds isn't the worst thing they can do to you. Another point is if this service is really getting this personal information legally from their original owners because I can't really imagine someone will be careless enough to become an "information donor" even if it involves cash in exchange for their private information.

You are only allowed to sell accounts/invites that you legally obtained yourself or through legitimate trades. If you did anything illegal in order to obtain an item, then you can't trade it on bitcointalk.org. Anyone found breaking this rule will be banned.

Also with what theymos said on the thread you provided I think the key word here is "legally" and I don't think their is anything legal about an account being verified with the use of someone else's information.

▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄
  ▀████████████████████████████▀
                     ▄▄███████▄▄
                  ▄███████████████▄
   ███████████  ▄████▀▀       ▀▀████▄
               ████▀      ██     ▀████
 ███████████  ████        ██       ████
             ████         ██        ████
███████████  ████     ▄▄▄▄██        ████
             ████     ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ████
 ███████████  ████                 ████
               ████▄             ▄████
   ███████████  ▀████▄▄       ▄▄████▀
                  ▀███████████████▀
                     ▀▀███████▀▀
           ▄██▄
           ████
            ██
            ▀▀
 ▄██████████████████████▄
██████▀▀██████████▀▀██████
█████    ████████    █████
█████▄  ▄████████▄  ▄█████
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
       ████████████
......Play......
fratoshi

Activity: 294
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 01, 2019, 04:58:55 AM

Yes is fraud, and possible a scammer too
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 3775

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2019, 08:20:17 AM

The topic you referred to has been deleted but it appears that Mod has deleted one topic and not checked all posts ----> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1664756;sa=showPosts

I want to quote this part:
The account in question is closed permanently to ensure the information donor is not subject to any liability that might occur from future use of the account.
I have become confused as all the risks are borne by those who run this illegal service, and I think it is difficult to track the user if they get BTC payments.
Secondly, since the user is confident of accepting the KYC files, it means that he is modifying the official data that will lead to criminal penalties in most countries.
It is best to avoid putting money in central services and avoid dealing with such people.
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2019, 08:47:41 AM

These people have been popping up in the services section nowadays, the most popular one is selling PayPal accounts with verified information, mostly obtained through very, very illegal means and using their identity to open a financial account is a felony on its own. Report them, anything that includes using someone else's identity without their prior acknowledgement is against the rules.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2019, 06:12:31 PM

I think it is irrelevant and you should find better ways to spend your time then wasting it stalking people you aren't going to stop or slow down anyway.
Theb (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2019, 06:35:20 PM

The topic you referred to has been deleted but it appears that Mod has deleted one topic and not checked all posts ----> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1664756;sa=showPosts

I want to quote this part:
The account in question is closed permanently to ensure the information donor is not subject to any liability that might occur from future use of the account.
I have become confused as all the risks are borne by those who run this illegal service, and I think it is difficult to track the user if they get BTC payments.
Secondly, since the user is confident of accepting the KYC files, it means that he is modifying the official data that will lead to criminal penalties in most countries.
It is best to avoid putting money in central services and avoid dealing with such people.

Already updated the links with the existing thread this guy have. Also that was my idea that the risk here stays for the ones who will avail these kinds of services since you are already doing identity fraud on your part by submitting KYC documents from other people. The worst thing about this is for people who using KYC from other countries just because there country doesn't allow that kind of website which if they discovered what he is doing he will be caught committing various offenses in his country.

I think it is irrelevant and you should find better ways to spend your time then wasting it stalking people you aren't going to stop or slow down anyway.

Even if I ain't able to stop these kinds of services in the forum at least I have spread awareness that these types of services might get them in trouble for other members to see.

▄▄████████▀▀▀▀████████▄▄