Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:00:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hardware Suggestions for Mining with a LOT of free sustainable Energy  (Read 222 times)
jakaba (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 35

View Profile
December 05, 2019, 11:07:06 AM

I have access to a lot of cheap/free electricity from sustainable energy sources. Over the course of an entire year the costs for 1 kWh average at around 6 cents.
On many hours, days or weeks of the year energy production is higher than what can be sold, making the costs for 1 kWh effectively 0 cents.
On other days the costs are between 0-5 cents, but the prices can go as far up as 15-20 cents for 1 kWh.  

Given the fluctuation of the kWh prices I won't be able to have my hardware running 24/7 to really make a profit. Though considering that often electricity is completely free I am looking for hardware suggestions. I would prefer mining Ethererum or Bitcoin, but I am open for other suggestions as well.

I suppose what I need is hardware that has the highest possible amount of TH/s at the lowest hardware price, with a complete disregard to its power consumption.

Any informative replies are most welcome, thanks! Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 07, 2019, 07:20:14 AM

It depends do you want to go the ASIC route or the GPU route. The ASIC route is better if you are new to the mining world, they are easier to maintain, easier to store and setup. They are compact and can fit many in small spaces. However they are crazy loud and you can't sleep next to an ASIC.

GPUs on the other hard are pretty quiet, you can actually sleep in the same room with many GPUs as long as they are not reference type of GPUs.

I don't know exactly what the second hand cost is for an ASIC but I think they would offer the highest profit with least investment if you assume electricity is free. Just go to
www.whattomine.com and click the "Miners" section and it will give you details on the speed and the power consumption.

If you want to know the cost of these ASICs just go to the classifieds section here or check eBay / Amazon

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
December 07, 2019, 11:03:54 PM

On other days the costs are between 0-5 cents, but the prices can go as far up as 15-20 cents for 1 kWh.  

Given the fluctuation of the kWh prices I won't be able to have my hardware running 24/7 to really make a profit. Though considering that often electricity is completely free I am looking for hardware suggestions. I would prefer mining Ethererum or Bitcoin, but I am open for other suggestions as well.

forget mining, mining is only worth if is running 24/7 because the competition runs 24/7, in the end you will never get the money back and the hardware will lose value over the months, for example if you run 12 hours per day, you will need to make 2x more money, if 8 hours then you will need to make 3x more money and so on and the profitability at moment is the worse that has ever been.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
Philipma1957cellphone

Activity: 416
Merit: 125

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 01:37:16 AM

You want so with a bitmain  apw3++   psu.

How much power do you have?
How well can you vent the room?
How much noise can you stand?

This is philipma1957 alt. Do not conduct business  with this account
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
December 08, 2019, 04:42:11 AM

forget mining, mining is only worth if is running 24/7 because the competition runs 24/7, in the end you will never get the money back and the hardware will lose value over the months, for example if you run 12 hours per day, you will need to make 2x more money, if 8 hours then you will need to make 3x more money and so on and the profitability at moment is the worse that has ever been.

He doesn't need to run his gear 24/7 everybody these days does pool mining so he is paid per share so he would just make half of what everybody else would make. And I don't think the ASIC hardware will lose much value when he is going to buy some old ASICs which are at the bottom of the depreciation curve.

I did something similar in 2015 when I started out, bought some second hand Antminer S2 for fun, mined with it to learn about mining and later sold it for maybe a $10 loss. Bought it for like $50 and sold it for $40 like a year later.

Its like buying a 20 year old car, it won't depreciate anymore unless something breaks or its crashed and then its worthless pretty much.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2019, 12:16:36 AM

To answer you please share with us, how much money can you spend on hardware?
And most important, do you have any limit of kWh to run the miners?

Depends on your answer you can buy a very high end hardware to mining at a good hashrate to compensate that you won't be 24h mining every day

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK  
          100%   MULTICHARGER  
netserver

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2019, 01:08:26 AM

hi guys!!  i have similar problem that jakaba but  with lower energy :-)

i have 5Kw solar power without power bank on-grid, i use normally 1kw-2kw with peaks to 5kw but only 1-10 minutes.

energy cost  22:00pm - 12:00am 0,06€ <-  night
                  12:00am - 22:00pm 0,14€ <- day

what kind of hardware interest me to use this 3kw only in solar mode.

i dont have any problem with noise hardware, i have a garden shed. 

many thanks!
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2019, 02:05:04 AM

How much are you aiming to earn? If this is just a side hobby you want to setup and forget (while earning a small and steady profit), I would suggest going for 2nd hand GPUs.

With ASICs, you're pretty much all-in and the newer ones that actually that make a decent profit cost a lot more. If you go with the now dirt cheap 2nd hand GPUs you can easily turn a small profit while at the same time hedging on "resale-able" hardware because GPUs can still always be sold to gamers, whereas ASICs once they're old and useless are nothing more but doorstoppers.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
jakaba (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 35

View Profile
December 11, 2019, 09:08:34 AM

Thank you for your answers and questions! 
I will try to get into all issues you have addressed so far.

• Depending on the weather I have between 0 and 10 Megawatt available. Far more than I need at the moment.
  • I can vent the room as much as I would like. I have different rooms available, one of them being a basement with a year round temperature of about 6-10 °C
  • Every amount of noise is acceptable.
  • Initially I can invest about 5-15 thousand US$ (less is better of course)
  • The limit of kWh I have is much higher than what I need given my initial investment maximum
  • I am not aiming to earn any specific amount.
  • I will be working full time on this project in the context of my master thesis beginning in the spring of 2020

My current thoughts are definitely going for second hand hardware. Either some older ASICS for mining Bitcoins or some used Graphics Cards for mining Ethereum.
I want to start small and but with the ability to scale up my setup easily in case of profitability. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: