Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 06:35:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard encryption?  (Read 1152 times)
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 10:26:54 AM

I just wondered how sure I can be that my Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard really is secure. I googled around but did not find anything convincing. Logitech itself claims that they use hardware encryption. Has anyone tested and confirmed the keyboard's real security by attempting to crack it for example?

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:32:41 AM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 05:02:58 PM by tkbx

I've wondered that too. If the keystrokes are sent to the computer one at a time, wouldn't it be pretty easy to look for timing and common patterns and determine most of the letters?

Maybe there's some kind of system where it salts it with the previous keystrokes, or maybe it uses a new key every key or every few keys.
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:33:49 AM

wireless keyboards are banned in high security government orgs figure out why

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:35:41 AM

Why don't you try some keylogger
http://download.cnet.com/windows/monitoring-software/
ViceOfBTC21

Activity: 438
Merit: 266

View Profile
June 04, 2020, 04:55:02 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

Sorry for posting 6 years later, but I have exactly the same keyboard.

I will say that it's possible to take control of some wireless keyboards (even with AES encryption) and install keylogger (including this one). There is evidence that it's possible: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/07/hackers-can-spy-on-wireless-keyboards-from-hundreds-of-feet-away/492962/

Also, you can't be sure that there are no backdoors here. Some manufacturers and governments have been known to put backdoors inside their encryption solutions.

Your best bet is to use a wired/laptop keyboard if you need to type your password.
Hyena (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2020, 07:23:46 AM

Sorry for posting 6 years later, but I have exactly the same keyboard.

I will say that it's possible to take control of some wireless keyboards (even with AES encryption) and install keylogger (including this one). There is evidence that it's possible: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/07/hackers-can-spy-on-wireless-keyboards-from-hundreds-of-feet-away/492962/

Also, you can't be sure that there are no backdoors here. Some manufacturers and governments have been known to put backdoors inside their encryption solutions.

Your best bet is to use a wired/laptop keyboard if you need to type your password.

That's what I did actually. I have 2 keyboards simultaneously connected to the PC. One is wireless which I seldomly use when I need to type from the bed. The regular one has a wire.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: