Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:51:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is a better long term investment? Bitcoin or Litecoin?  (Read 7388 times)
bitcoinsrus (OP)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:51:40 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 07:43:09 PM by bitcoinsrus

3/19/14 Litecoin meets Huobi (largest exchange).
Already on Btcchina and Charles Lee (litecoin creator works at coinbase).

Bitcoin is in a little slump right now, but it is much more widely used (compared to litecoin).
If Litecoin soon gets coinbase etc, which would be a better long term investment.

Example:
If Bitcoin is 650+ (lets just say) and projected $2,000+ by december 2014
and if Litecoin is 17+ and goes to 50+ by december 2014, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Litecoin?

Bitcoin is more easier to send (more buyers) but Litecoin could soon be prominent.

Thoughts appreciated

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vleroybrown

Activity: 1145
Merit: 506

This is who we are.

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:57:41 PM

Bitcoin is in a little slump right now, but it is much more widely used (compared to litecoin).
If Litecoin soon gets coinbase etc, which would be a better long term investment.

Example:
and if Litecoin is 17+ and goes to 50+ by december 2014, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Litecoin.

Bitcoin is more easier to send (more buyers) but Litecoin could soon be prominent.

Thoughts appreciated

There are several ALTs with better features and or volume than LTC.  I just can't see without developments in the coins features and benefits in regards to competing alts that extra market exposure is going to help LTC volume maintain this short term lead for the rest of the year.
Zapffe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:59:29 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 02:19:17 PM by Zapffe

I think that both of them aren't good long term investments.
When you are investing into something, that only holds value by it's holders not selling, then you're a fool to trust your money to stay there without constant supervision.

LTC currently has more potential, because of opening new markets, better history and better technical properties. It's much easier to create a new boom with LTC then BTC, thats name has been smeared by all the fiascoes.
Just remember to keep your eye on the development of the markets and the movements it causes. This isn't like 2013 anymore where you could just buy and hold. 2013 was the turning point where cryptos moved from "magical internet play money to buy drugs" to more serious financial fields. Now things are more complex and you have to consider more factors then just drawing lines on the graphs and expecting that the next year will be the same as previous.

bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:00:24 PM

Example:
and if Litecoin is 17+ and goes to 50+ by december 2014, wouldn't it make more sense to go with Litecoin.

Thoughts appreciated

There are several ALTs with better features and or volume than LTC.  I just can't see without developments in the coins features and benefits in regards to competing alts that extra market exposure is going to help LTC volume maintain this short term lead for the rest of the year.

Which alts are your referring to?  What are your thoughts on ethereum and is 1000 ethers for 1 btc a good deal when they come out?
vleroybrown

Activity: 1145
Merit: 506

This is who we are.

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:20:11 PM

Which alts are your referring to?  What are your thoughts on ethereum and is 1000 ethers for 1 btc a good deal when they come out?

So for Alts that exist already, a market volume lead is held by Doge on a regular bases.  Its utilization is fun and the introduction of new users to p2p currency is 9 times out of 10 going to be BTC or DOGE.  Litecoin community seems to carry along with it more of the smug money grubber types when  compared to the thriving doge community and even overall proportionally in Bitcoin.  I would rather hold the dogecoin over litecoin anyday, and I think a growwing majority feels the same.

As far as fringe Alts that arn't quite there yet volume wise, but have the potential I have given Drkcoin a good look out for the Darksend features soon to be out of beta.  This coin can get the jumpstart on any other established Alts from the popular privacy publicity stemming from Snowden

Lastly it is a long term but one that is truly feature rich and set once matured to storm all coin valuations is Huntercoin, the most innovative and total experience Alt out there currently.

As for the promises of Ethereum, if they can deliver on that then it is a deal at almost any valuation as it is the beginning of the end for the FIRE sector of the worlds economy as we know it.   
bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:26:29 PM

Which alts are your referring to?  What are your thoughts on ethereum and is 1000 ethers for 1 btc a good deal when they come out?

So for Alts that exist already, a market volume lead is held by Doge on a regular bases.  Its utilization is fun and the introduction of new users to p2p currency is 9 times out of 10 going to be BTC or DOGE.  Litecoin community seems to carry along with it more of the smug money grubber types when  compared to the thriving doge community and even overall proportionally in Bitcoin.  I would rather hold the dogecoin over litecoin anyday, and I think a growwing majority feels the same.

As far as fringe Alts that arn't quite there yet volume wise, but have the potential I have given Drkcoin a good look out for the Darksend features soon to be out of beta.  This coin can get the jumpstart on any other established Alts from the popular privacy publicity stemming from Snowden

Lastly it is a long term but one that is truly feature rich and set once matured to storm all coin valuations is Huntercoin, the most innovative and total experience Alt out there currently.

As for the promises of Ethereum, if they can deliver on that then it is a deal at almost any valuation as it is the beginning of the end for the FIRE sector of the worlds economy as we know it.  

Thanks for the explanation.  I have seen large volume (24 hr) from doge.  Personally I think doge has way too much coins (making it not as rare as bitcoin) and many state they think its a joke.  
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:27:28 PM

Litecoin has zero general public recognition.  Absolutely zero.  Every week there are articles in the mainstream media about bitcoin but I never see litecoin mentioned in any of them.  Litecoin is an after thought in this market.  Dogecoin is a joke that its supporters don't quite get yet, but at least that received plenty of positive coverage over the past couple of months.  The other alt coins are just pump and dump schemes.

I've read many people on this forum see bitcoin as being 'gold' while litecoin is 'silver'.  Just because gold and silver exist in the physical world doesn't mean anything like it has to exist in virtual commodities.
bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:31:08 PM

Litecoin has zero general public recognition.  Absolutely zero.  Every week there are articles in the mainstream media about bitcoin but I never see litecoin mentioned in any of them.  Litecoin is an after thought in this market.  Dogecoin is a joke that its supporters don't quite get yet, but at least that received plenty of positive coverage over the past couple of months.  The other alt coins are just pump and dump schemes.

I've read many people on this forum see bitcoin as being 'gold' while litecoin is 'silver'.  Just because gold and silver exist in the physical world doesn't mean anything like it has to exist in virtual commodities.

This is why I have not considered getting some litecoin.  Bitcoin on the other hand is "more established".

But I am still torn because tomorrow Huobi starts trading litecoin and litecoin creator works at coinbase and there is potential there.

Maybe Litecoin might see 50+ this year and then I might get behind (especially if it goes on coinbase)
Zapffe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:34:26 PM

What most bitcoiners don't understand, is that the network effect or starter advantages only apply with certain products or services, where bitcoin doesn't fall under.
For instance facebook or coca-cola are highly dependent on the network effect and starter advantages. With products that aren't very important to people, then people don't think through what will they buy/use. They will buy/use whatever comes up first.
Cryptos in another hand are simulations of money. And people who have money, treat money mostly as serious as cancer. Meaning that they care if there are advantages in their wealth safety or transaction speeds. They won't just stick around with bitcoin because they are too lazy to switch products. People only continue to use products or services by habbit, that they don't care about much.
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 02:39:48 PM

IMO you should own:

BTC
LTC
PPC
DOGE

Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:42:23 PM

I think a good portfolio is:

BTC
Altcoin (BTC FORK)
Mastercoin or Counterparty
Ethereum

Open Transactions will add the cherry on top once it releases.
El Dude

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:32:40 PM

Example:

Thoughts appreciated

what re you saying , litecoin 24 hour volume is 12 million , no other ALTcoin even comes close.

Bitcoin and Litecoin hodler
bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:50:46 PM

Example:

Thoughts appreciated

There are several ALTs with better features and or volume than LTC.  I just can't see without developments in the coins features and benefits in regards to competing alts that extra market exposure is going to help LTC volume maintain this short term lead for the rest of the year.

what re you saying , litecoin 24 hour volume is 12 million , no other ALTcoin even comes close.

I agree.  Doge is 1 million+ (not near LTC)
and LTC surpassed BTC in volume a few days ago (i think its was like 5 mill and btc was 4 million or something)
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:54:15 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 04:11:17 PM by knightcoin

I still sticked to
75% BTC
25% Ð

Bitcoin is for serious business.

Doge has a nice relationship with the media and a huge potencial for marketing/tip system. But one thing that really got my attention is about the coin inflation and the time that scrypt asics will hit the market in the end of 2014 at this time almost all doges will be already mined.

About media relationship here's goes a example.:

I'd love to play play minecraft with my son, another day I just saw a doge mod ... and my nine years old got his first crypto money just because he was playing minecraft in a dogecoin server.

skydoesminecraft dogecoin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPXLRz0RSs

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:58:30 PM

I still sticked to
75% BTC
25% Ð

Bitcoin is for serious business.

Doge has a nice relationship with the media and a huge potencial for marketing/tip system. But one thing that I am really got my attention is about the coin inflation and the time that scrypt asics will hit the market in the end of 2014 at this time almost all doges will be already mined.

About media relationship here's goes a example.:

I'd love to play play minecraft with my son, another day I just saw a doge mod ... and my nine years old got his first crypto money just because he was playing minecraft in a dogecoin server.

skydoesminecraft dogecoin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPXLRz0RSs

Yea the viper (and other) scrypt miners should be interesting when they hit the market (I think some coming out end of q2 (june 30)

I wonder if it would make the price of scrypt coins go up (and raise difficulty etc)
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:07:28 PM

Yea the viper (and other) scrypt miners should be interesting when they hit the market (I think some coming out end of q2 (june 30)

I wonder if it would make the price of scrypt coins go up (and raise difficulty etc)

Is it real ?

MAT’s EXCALIBUR ASIC Scrypt Miner offers 50 MH/s  for € 4,999
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/02/24/mining-asics-technologies-bv-mat-announces-6ths-titanium-asic-bitcoin-miner-and-scrypt-asic-miner/

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
bitcoinsrus (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:10:34 PM

Is it real ?

MAT’s EXCALIBUR ASIC Scrypt Miner offers 50 MH/s  for € 4,999
http://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/2014/02/24/mining-asics-technologies-bv-mat-announces-6ths-titanium-asic-bitcoin-miner-and-scrypt-asic-miner/

I do not know about that link you posted.  Seems to good to be true :/
GodHatesFigs

Activity: 557
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:45:18 PM

Bitcoin is the only viable cryptocurrency.

http://themisescircle.org/blog/2014/03/14/the-coming-demise-of-the-altcoins/

http://themisescircle.org/blog/2013/08/22/the-problem-with-altcoins/
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 04:51:43 PM

I would tend to agree, we have had a bit of a crypto-fad based upon late adopters wanting to emulate the 'success' of Bitcoin, but with most of them amounting to nothing but pump n dump schemes. From what I can tell, 99% of them will have proven bad investments for the majority of people who invested in them. Aside from opening pump n dump phases, nearly all of them are trading down against Bitcoin, which itself is down. Fads come and go. Alt-coin fad has come, now is as good a time as any for it to go. Fuck You Bill Still and those 3500 Quark I bought on the strength of your recommendation at the height of the mania........was making so much money at the time, I didn't give a shit whether I lost or won with them, but now, I would rather have my 0.5 BTC back, which has itself halved in value since then.

Recently however, for about the first time I can remember, Bitcoin and Litecoin have went in opposite directions. Fuck all the other alt-coins. If there is another viable alternative at this point in time it is Litecoin and perhaps Litecoin is going in completely different direction from Bitcoin at the moment because Litecoin hasn't had all the corruption and theft that Bitcoin has suffered and perhaps most crucially, There isn't anyone sitting out there with hundreds of thousands of stolen or seized Litecoins, looking for good opportunities to dump them on the market?

I find that LocalBitcoins can be a good acid test for demand in the real non trading economy and from what I can see, the UK traders are cutting their own throats right now. 2%-3% premiums over Stamp. Considering that most UK based people have to pay 3% - 5% premium to convert GBP into a currency that can be used on an exchange, this tells me that there is a huge supply of Bitcoin in off exchange economy and not too much demand. Again, in a market saturated with stolen coins trying to cash out without being detected as stolen coins, this is the sort of scenario that I would imagine with LocalBitcoins, and a scenario that could go on for a very long time, as traders slowly scrape some very thin slices of arbitrage from a steady leakage of stolen Bitcoin looking to convert into Fiat.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
seleme
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028

Duelbits.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 04:53:45 PM

Litecoin is going into different direction because it is right in the middle of news driven pump, same as ones we saw like 5 times with LTC to Gox rumours.

LTC going from 0.025 to 0.035 and back is as usual as sun in the summer.

███████████████▄▄
    ██████████████████████▄
  ██████████████████████████▄
 ███████   ▀████████▀   ████▄
██████████    █▀  ▀    ██████▄
███████████▄▄▀  ██  ▀▄▄████████
███████████          █████████
███████████▀▀▄  ██  ▄▀▀████████
██████████▀   ▀▄  ▄▀   ▀██████▀
 ███████  ▄██▄████▄█▄  █████▀
  ██████████████████████████▀
    ██████████████████████▀