Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:01:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NordVPN loading/startup time issue... [issue remains unresolved]  (Read 160 times)
SFR10 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3421

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2019, 08:05:42 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2019, 06:57:00 AM by SFR10
Merited by hugeblack (1)

For the past year, I've been experiencing huge startup delays for NordVPN's desktop application.

• I had no issues with my former Intel setup but as soon as I upgraded and switched to AMD, the whole delay thing started (it's quite annoying to have a great rendering PC [somewhat] and for some weird reason, not be able to quickly load this application).
  • It takes a very long time to load on my AMD based laptop as well [I'm guessing this only affects AMD users unless I'm missing something]
  • Another "user reported a similar issue after a certain update" but mine was after switching the setup from Intel to AMD.

Anyone with a solution?

Update:

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AB de Royse777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 3893

Hire Bitcointalk Camp. Manager @ r7promotions.com

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2019, 08:22:13 AM

Sorry I can not give you any solution but I am posting for another issue I get always and in fact I don't use it much for this reason. I talked to their CS but the answer did not solve my problems.

I am not a NordVPN customer for long time, kinda very new to them. When I try to connect the connection always fails and the message always says something like, "password verification failed".
The CS said resetting password do the job but it really do not work much. Is this normal?

I have intel system by the way.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
SusantS

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 09:25:56 AM

Nord VPN is good as far as I know. Are you using paid service or free?
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18510

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 10:12:00 AM
Merited by SFR10 (1)

I assume you have tried all the usual things? Uninstall and reinstall, cleaning up your computer, uninstall bloatware, removing other unnecessary apps/programs which launch at start up, etc?

You don't have to use the NordVPN app if it is causing you problems. NordVPN will work with other VPN software such as OpenVPN or WireGuard. It will take a little bit more time to set up, but their website has instructions and pre-made configuration files for you to use: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/1047408082/What-is-OpenVPN.htm. I actually prefer to use these because they give you more control and customization options than most individual VPN apps or software.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 11:41:02 AM
Last edit: December 16, 2019, 11:51:31 AM by Welsh
Merited by SFR10 (2), hugeblack (2), o_e_l_e_o (1)

You could possibly consider having NordVPN on your router instead of directly on your machine. If you don't want all of your connections to be using the VPN you could potentially create a dual modem, and router setup. Running dd-wrt software on the router with the VPN on it, and only connecting to that router whenever you require using the VPN.

I believe having dd-wrt, VPN, and scheduling a reboot fairly regular is one of the more secure ways of going about this. A benefit of this is router ram gets flushed every time its rebooted.  Not only that but the VPN will always be on, so there's no forgetting to connect via the application. You can also use a killswitch feature which will prevent any DNS leaks, and the internet won't connect without the VPN. This means less bloatware on your computer, and likely less mistakes as having the killswitch directly on your application means it needs to be running, unless you do it from your operating system instead.

This in return should offer a quick connection without having to connect via its application as its done through the commands on the router. Otherwise, putting your operating system on a SSD will increase load speed. The application itself works fine generally on both AMD, and Intel based software.

I am not a NordVPN customer for long time, kinda very new to them. When I try to connect the connection always fails and the message always says something like, "password verification failed".
The CS said resetting password do the job but it really do not work much. Is this normal?

I have intel system by the way.
You would need to provide a bit more information. Making sure that the password you are inputting is correct. A common issue users have is when their keyboard has changed language. Especially, from English (US) to English (UK).
joniboini
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1792

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2019, 01:00:19 PM

My desktop use AMD and I've been using NordVPN since months ago, no such issues come up. Can you provide a log or something similar?

I do face that long start-up issue sometimes, but that happened when my internet connection is bad. Other than that, it works fine.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
rnsribeiro

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2019, 03:07:54 PM

About what longevity we're talking about like 1min+?
If you're Windows user I believe there is an adjustment in Settings where you can pick which application will have priority to load first after Pc has been booted
SFR10 (OP)
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2019, 07:17:26 AM

When I try to connect the connection always fails and the message always says something like, "password verification failed".
It's not but I did start getting "Failed to connect" error after using NordVPN on more than 6 devices [I have to click sign in twice before it goes through, regardless of the fact that I always type the correct password].

Nord VPN is good as far as I know. Are you using paid service or free?
I'm using their paid services [AFAIK, they don't offer free services that lasts for years].

I assume you have tried all the usual things? Uninstall and reinstall, cleaning up your computer, uninstall bloatware, removing other unnecessary apps/programs which launch at start up, etc?
Yes, I've already done those things.

You don't have to use the NordVPN app if it is causing you problems. NordVPN will work with other VPN software such as OpenVPN or WireGuard. It will take a little bit more time to set up, but their website has instructions and pre-made configuration files for you to use: https://support.nordvpn.com/General-info/1047408082/What-is-OpenVPN.htm. I actually prefer to use these because they give you more control and customization options than most individual VPN apps or software.
You could possibly consider having NordVPN on your router instead of directly on your machine. If you don't want all of your connections to be using the VPN you could potentially create a dual modem, and router setup. Running dd-wrt software on the router with the VPN on it, and only connecting to that router whenever you require using the VPN.

I believe having dd-wrt, VPN, and scheduling a reboot fairly regular is one of the more secure ways of going about this. A benefit of this is router ram gets flushed every time its rebooted.  Not only that but the VPN will always be on, so there's no forgetting to connect via the application.
Thanks to both of you. I didn't have [still don't have] any prior knowledge in regards to those but I'll definitely read more before I decide to go with one of them...

Otherwise, putting your operating system on a SSD will increase load speed.
Indeed, I'm using SSD on both my desktop and laptop.

Can you provide a log or something similar?
I can provide connection logs but not sure if that helps with my case...

I do face that long start-up issue sometimes, but that happened when my internet connection is bad. Other than that, it works fine.
Mine is consistently slow (regardless of the status of the connections, tested on three different networks).

About what longevity we're talking about like 1min+?
Launch = Instant
Loading screen = Around 2 mins
Sign in process = Another 2 mins [most of the time, I have to do this twice due to failed connection error].

If you're Windows user I believe there is an adjustment in Settings where you can pick which application will have priority to load first after Pc has been booted
That's correct but it doesn't have that much effect when it comes to mid-powerful and above systems...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 10:29:04 AM

Launch = Instant
Loading screen = Around 2 mins
Sign in process = Another 2 mins [most of the time, I have to do this twice due to failed connection error].
Wait, so the app launches instantly but is just slow to connect? Your initial post made it sound like the app was taking a long time to launch.

If it's failing to connect or slow to connect, then there are a couple of other things you can try. Try different servers and different protocols (UDP/TCP) and ports. Make sure you are not logged in on more than the max number of supported devices. Check NordVPN isn't being blocked by your antivirus or firewall. Since you said you are on Windows, ensure Windows is up to date and double check the TAP drivers are installed correctly.

There are a couple of help pages here with other potential solutions you could try: https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Windows/1107843562/Troubleshooting-connectivity-on-Windows.htm
SFR10 (OP)
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2019, 08:39:58 PM

Wait, so the app launches instantly but is just slow to connect?
Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly but the issue is only in regards to the time it takes prior to reaching server options [no issue with connecting to any server]...
- I recorded a video with my problem:
  • Everything is a bit faster on my desktop [compared to my laptop, 2 mins] but it's still significantly slower than what I used to have on my older intel based system.

If it's failing to connect or slow to connect, then there are a couple of other things you can try.
The "Failed to connect" error [happens 9/10] is only in regards to "sign-in process [password]"...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 09:07:51 PM

Oh my god, how frustrating.

I'm not sure there is going to be much you can do to fix that. I'd report it as a bug on their website, but I suspect it's going to a fix for the app form their side. As far as I can tell, you have three options. Either look in to using OpenVPN as I mentioned above, put the VPN on your router as Welsh mentioned, or swap to a different VPN provider.
goinmerry
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1083

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 10:06:04 PM

Your internet connection is fine with other apps, right? Only the NordVPN is having the issues despite your good connection and you even tested it on another network. I think it's not the system being AMD but maybe the network configures got a problem during chipset modifications. It happened to me on Spotify, Netflix, and some the online games so maybe the same case with your VPN.

The solution I did is hard resetting the router itself. It's not the usual reset and plugs/unplug but you need to tick that small reset button maybe hiding inside a small hole on your router or just check your router's manual.
SFR10 (OP)
Legendary

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2019, 06:57:30 AM

Oh my god, how frustrating.
Indeed.

As far as I can tell, you have three options. Either look in to using OpenVPN as I mentioned above, put the VPN on your router as Welsh mentioned, or swap to a different VPN provider.
Unfortunately, you're right [thanks to both of you for the workaround, I appreciate it].

Your internet connection is fine with other apps, right? Only the NordVPN is having the issues despite your good connection and you even tested it on another network.
Yes, I've tested everything on three different networks [2 home-based networks and my mobile data].

I think it's not the system being AMD but maybe the network configures got a problem during chipset modifications.
But I'm having similar issues on two different devices [AMD based desktop and a laptop].

The solution I did is hard resetting the router itself. It's not the usual reset and plugs/unplug but you need to tick that small reset button maybe hiding inside a small hole on your router or just check your router's manual.
I already did that as well [prior to opening this thread] with no luck.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this topic/case. It is safe to say that there isn't any solution to "directly" fix my issue so I'm locking the thread [for now] but if someone happens to find one, message me and I'll reopen it again...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████