Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:03:35 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [GUIDE] Tips on securing our emails  (Read 314 times)
Jercyhora2 (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 23

Epsilon Omega

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2019, 10:41:28 PM
Merited by CryptopreneurBrainboss (1), the01crow (1)

Security breach is natural here in the world of Crypto and I just want to share my own simple ways on how to lessen the possibility of being hacked, specially in our emails.

Below are the different methods I used to work to secure my own data:

1. Using Multiple Emails -
 I recommend using multiple emails, normally 2 to 3 emails to protect the MAIN account.  To protect our accounts from any possible Scam, Phishing sites etc.  which may compromised your personal information.

Just simply identify which email is your main and which email will you make a dummy or for all types of site you don't sure if safe or not.

Explanation:

Main :
 Use this email to register for any  reputable sites and apps that hold your funds, like E-wallets (Coins.ph, Coinbase, Abra etc.) and for reputable exchanges that hold your assets (Binance, Bitfinex, Polinex, HitBTC etc.  )

It can also be used on various social media accounts such as:
 Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, LinkedIn, YouTube etc.

But it's more secure if you have a separate email.  Email for social medias and email for all fund controll sites and apps.

Note:
 Never use this email to register to any sites, especially if you are an Airdrop and Bounty Hunter.

DUMMY
 Use this email on any site, it is not as important as Main email.  Even if you're not sure about the sites / apps background or review it is safe as long as you do not link to your Main account.  Use your main to backup your dummy and if someone cracked your email pass  or you only forget the password you have the power to recover it but don't do it vice versa like making your dummy as recovery email for your main email..  Main must have control over dummy for recovery purposes.

As I mentioned earlier, you can use 2, 3, or more emails, the important thing is that Dummy has no connection to access main.

2. Using Multiple Password:
 Like email, you can also use multiple passwords with different use to secure and manage accounts easily.

Example

Main - December @ 123
 Dummy - November $ 456

You can add One, two or more tbased on your  ideal quantity of password but I recommend using 2 passwords for convenient in terms of memorizing.

If you notice they are almost identical to Format, because it is made for convenient purposes.
 Entering numbers, CAPITAL LETTERS and special characters can make your password stronger.  Instead of making a long password with pure small letters is easy to crack.

3. Mobile Number -
 Never let your main Email without any mobile numbers linked.  If  the dummy account is compromised, use the main email for recover it ( back up.  Here, the mobile number keeps you coming back.  Much better use this number as 2FA for your main.

Note: if you have lost your mobile number, replace it immediately with another mobile number.

This post is not the full key to secure your accounts so it is always "da best" to study closely any site or apps you go to or use.
 May this article be helpful to you, whether you are a beginner or a professional.

Feel free to correct me if I have forgotten or misused terms.

I just only translated my own post on Pilipinas Section (Philippines)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5197229.msg52927416#msg52927416
cryp24x

Activity: 1190
Merit: 253

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 02:12:33 PM

This is a good read. I wonder why it is not commented well unlike those other post that are not that relevant. Well, I am doing this and it is proven in securing your email. We secure our emails so that our accounts on different platforms will not be compromised.
isaac_clarke22

Activity: 1596
Merit: 264

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 02:55:37 PM

Good thing I did one of these back in the days where I was joining few airdrops. I received a fake MEW site claiming to make me view my wallet into their phishing MEW site.
Using password managers could also be great way, but it might vulnerable to spywares that's why I don't use them sometimes.
Gotumoot

Activity: 1372
Merit: 261

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 03:08:16 PM

And if you are still active in airdrop campaigns it is best to create a separate email for this as it will be the key to making us vulnerable to hackers, scammers as they can easily send traps to us.

Similar to
Phising site (no 1)
Fake Bravebrowser bounty
Fake Myetherwallet website.

Malwares.
Spam mails.
ryzaadit
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1231

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 03:30:56 PM

The thread should be on "Beginners & Help", you can move it the thread at there.

However, the emails problem not being an attack but getting a spamming from phishing, malware and scam project or airdrop invitation.

You also can add the thread @masulum as a reference https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5198564.msg52979658#msg52979658 since the topic can be related to your topic.
CjMapope
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092

~Full-Time Minter since 2016~

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2019, 04:34:40 PM

Ya using a separate email for crypto stuff is smart, i been in this so long i had to combat alot of spam over the years as i used my main email off the bat
not smart haha. for last 2 years or so, seperate email!
it dosent matter if you think the crypto services your using are "safe", databases get breached and those emails get dumped/sold
happens OFTEN.  this forum itself has been dumped x2 since ive been a member only haha Tongue it happens

~Got this girl in my bed, a roof over my head, i mint a couple coins a week, and thats how i make bread~
~On the 12th day of Hatzvah, OGminer said to me: "compute root of the merkle hash tree!"~
Prohashing  -- Simply the best Multipool!
Greatchu

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 04:49:08 PM

Thanks for the info, spam mails and other phishing schemes won't work on me because i don't click on links in email and moreover i have separate email for airdrops hunting etc

Xcode7

Activity: 1162
Merit: 433

View Profile
December 17, 2019, 06:43:45 PM

Security breach is natural here in the world of Crypto and I just want to share my own simple ways on how to lessen the possibility of being hacked, specially in our emails.

Below are the different methods I used to work to secure my own data:

1. Using Multiple Emails -
 I recommend using multiple emails, normally 2 to 3 emails to protect the MAIN account.  To protect our accounts from any possible Scam, Phishing sites etc.  which may compromised your personal information.

Just simply identify which email is your main and which email will you make a dummy or for all types of site you don't sure if safe or not.

Explanation:

Main :
 Use this email to register for any  reputable sites and apps that hold your funds, like E-wallets (Coins.ph, Coinbase, Abra etc.) and for reputable exchanges that hold your assets (Binance, Bitfinex, Polinex, HitBTC etc.  )

But it's more secure if you have a separate email.  Email for social medias and email for all fund controll sites and apps.

Note:
 Never use this email to register to any sites, especially if you are an Airdrop and Bounty Hunter.

DUMMY
 Use this email on any site, it is not as important as Main email.  Even if you're not sure about the sites / apps background or review it is safe as long as you do not link to your Main account.  Use your main to backup your dummy and if someone cracked your email pass  or you only forget the password you have the power to recover it but don't do it vice versa like making your dummy as recovery email for your main email..  Main must have control over dummy for recovery purposes.

As I mentioned earlier, you can use 2, 3, or more emails, the important thing is that Dummy has no connection to access main.

2. Using Multiple Password:
 Like email, you can also use multiple passwords with different use to secure and manage accounts easily.

Example

Main - December @ 123
 Dummy - November $ 456

You can add One, two or more tbased on your  ideal quantity of password but I recommend using 2 passwords for convenient in terms of memorizing.

If you notice they are almost identical to Format, because it is made for convenient purposes.
 Entering numbers, CAPITAL LETTERS and special characters can make your password stronger.  Instead of making a long password with pure small letters is easy to crack.

3. Mobile Number -
 Never let your main Email without any mobile numbers linked.  If  the dummy account is compromised, use the main email for recover it ( back up.  Here, the mobile number keeps you coming back.  Much better use this number as 2FA for your main.

Note: if you have lost your mobile number, replace it immediately with another mobile number.

This post is not the full key to secure your accounts so it is always "da best" to study closely any site or apps you go to or use.
 May this article be helpful to you, whether you are a beginner or a professional.

Feel free to correct me if I have forgotten or misused terms.

I just only translated my own post on Pilipinas Section (Philippines)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5197229.msg52927416#msg52927416
Yes indeed this is the best way, and some people who already know this might be negligent, thanks for the info, maybe I will also recommend to my friends to use this method so that they are not mistaken and wrong rare for the future.

Duelbits
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
///  PLAY FOR FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
PLAY NOW
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████
Jercyhora2 (OP)

Epsilon Omega

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2019, 03:54:38 PM

2nd options on our keys is proven that secure most of our assets in any terms such as information and any other important things we have. I'm using this method since I enter Crypto.

2 Factor Authentication is a must in terms of holding funds
safari88
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1026

View Profile
December 21, 2019, 04:14:27 PM

for me securing email is easy i just attach my phone number to my email and the most important thing is never use the same password to any website same with your email password

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
tulpe123

Activity: 91
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2019, 04:16:16 PM

Not bad guide but in my opinion the best variant is to use protonmail without sms recovery. SMS is not secure anymore
Jercyhora2 (OP)

Epsilon Omega

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2019, 11:46:34 PM

Not bad guide but in my opinion the best variant is to use protonmail without sms recovery. SMS is not secure anymore

for me securing email is easy i just attach my phone number to my email.

Your opinion is exactly contradicting to each other. But I will go for using phone number, but I believe that using phone number is not also secured way. Because there's cases of messages manipulating malwares that keep on popping up. But leaving our accounts without phone number attached is like you're walking on a snow. Your security is naked, using phone number can also buy time for you too change password or transfer your funds to a anonymous but wallet
Henrytrust
Copper Member

Activity: 238
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 01:13:15 AM

It's a wise idea to have multiple email address. There should be an email address dedicated for airdrops and another for bounty. This should be different from the main email address and should have different passwords for control purposes. If possible one could review the email subsequently and change to new email after a period of time.
LouVandetta

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 02:32:10 AM

Pretty good advices, been doing the three mentioned by OP's as long as I could remember and other things as well.

I regularly changes my email password and the main email only for the most reputable exchanges or platform. And don't you just click any links you received on your email without reading the content and the sender first, who knows, hackers might try to change the password from one of your associated account with the email, and you didn't pay enough attention of such things.
huu78

Activity: 1204

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 02:56:57 AM

Secure email using multiple emails is a good idea but sometimes I don't want to use it. Simply log in using the HP verification with OTP or if necessary use the Authenticator to be more secure and will not be able to get people into our email.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Kotone

Activity: 1372
Merit: 503

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2019, 04:01:19 AM

This indeed a good tips. Thank you for sharing us, most people here often got hacked or scammed due to using their personal email even for joining airdrop and once youre email flooded lots of emails then you accidentally fall for such scam link then youre done. For newbies should read this guideline its worth youre time.

Eugenar

Activity: 1274
Merit: 278

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 04:49:54 AM

This indeed a good tips. Thank you for sharing us, most people here often got hacked or scammed due to using their personal email even for joining airdrop and once youre email flooded lots of emails then you accidentally fall for such scam link then youre done. For newbies should read this guideline its worth youre time.

I do consider that most of the people who are signing up uses their personal email address that already exposes them to risk and in addition, they also provide passwords that are mostly used for their personal account as well. With that regard, we cannot ensure that each platforms do really implement encryption of the users passwords to their database. So, for us to secure our emails, when signing up, make sure to provide purely different passwords and username information.
silversurfer1958

Activity: 474
Merit: 111

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 05:21:44 AM

Main :
 Use this email to register for any  reputable sites and apps that hold your funds, like E-wallets (Coins.ph, Coinbase, Abra etc.) and for reputable exchanges that hold your assets (Binance, Bitfinex, Polinex, HitBTC etc.  )

But it's more secure if you have a separate email.  Email for social medias and email for all fund controll sites and apps.

Note:
  I wrote this article to confirm that this is the right thing to do. I used to sign up for airdrops with my main email for airdrops and bounty. One evening I received an email from the Brave browser, saying that I only need to fill out the above form for my ETH wallet and will receive $ 100 immediately if I download the Brave browser and hang it. I followed suit and my computer suddenly froze and the viruses started stealing information. I had to reset it immediately and lost some pretty important data. You should be most wary of this issue.

Reid

Activity: 2926
Merit: 647

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 05:43:24 AM

Main :
 Use this email to register for any  reputable sites and apps that hold your funds, like E-wallets (Coins.ph, Coinbase, Abra etc.) and for reputable exchanges that hold your assets (Binance, Bitfinex, Polinex, HitBTC etc.  )

I will take down HitBtc if I were you. Using your main e-mail address here could cause you everything.
Trust me, I know it. Someone is logging in with my account even though I am not using HitBtc anymore.
How do I know? It keeps on sending me e-mails that I logged in from a certain area and country. Which I didn't do.
Just a head up though.

Binance is okay with me. It will tell you what is going on with your account or if someone is trying to access it thru email for security purposes of course.
Thanks though for the tips using dummy accounts.
Rodeo02

Activity: 1302
Merit: 577

avatar and signature space for rent !!!

View Profile
December 22, 2019, 06:35:13 AM

Thanks for the info, spam mails and other phishing schemes won't work on me because i don't click on links in email and moreover i have separate email for airdrops hunting etc
Yes that a better solution and dont forget to not register using your main email in any website . Because you know there are many phising attempt that hacker want to try just to have your email and password.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: