Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:19:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmed: Bitcoinica sold at $1.994  (Read 4130 times)
BitMagic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 08:03:05 AM

Where the hell have YOU been?  haven't seen your iron-fist style around here lately

After I cashed out my millions shorting the true believers, I got tired of stoking the flames (except the Atlas/Matthew drama).

One time I supported a campaign to introduce new users to Bitcoin, but I recognized that at this point all that is doing is guiding them into the line at the slaughter house (or a majority of them anyway) so I withdrew from any activities along these lines.  And would/did suggest that anyone receiving donations in Bitcoin (which I think is a great thing to do) immediately cash them out for just about anything else.

I retain a lot of hope that at some point Bitcoin will be a viable technology for the masses, but a good deal of evolution is needed before that is the case (IMHO.)

I genuinely thought this would be an interesting experiment, until it became clear that the unique features of Bitcoin were completely steamrolled by the same issues facing unregulated markets over the last century. That's been obvious for months now. It's been fun in a rubbernecking-sort-of-fashion, but I'm just beginning to feel sorry for people. I know what it's like to have a cause, but I'm genuinely disappointed at the full turn from reality and ignorance that permeates this fanaticism. I pray you're all trolls.

anyone who got into / planned on using bitcoin as a speculation vehicle got exactly what they deserved. use it as it was intended - decentralized currency and not as a get rich quick scheme.

You're half right! Problem is "intentions" don't meet the real world about 99% of the time. Hope you're learning.

https://bit-pay.com/aboutMobile.html

I'm planning on approaching my lunch place on Thursday here in Cleveland to see if they will set up something to use this.  I've been going there for 5 years and might be able to get them into it.  Looking forward to paying for my future lunches in bitcoins!

I just don't know what to say anymore.

Please give me your money, because I am a shameless libertarian elite who deserves your money more than you do: 9Hkao8U82WWDp6SQGn4k7ad9gT1LWeL5s3
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 08:04:44 AM

The idea someone had for making bitcoin payment and purchasing tools on cell phones would be one such evolution. Making it easier to use it to buy and sell is essential to getting more people to adopt it.

Getting cell phone users buying trinkets with Bitcoin is not something I feel is very appropriate at the moment.  But it would be a nice thing to have in the system's back pocket and I do believe that solutions are being and have been developed for this.

The people I would prefer to see being significantly involved in Bitcoin at the moment who be those who have a specific combination of tech savvy, reasonably well off financially, deeply suspicious of everything, and (with luck) having some measure of decency and honesty.

These types of people would be best situated to not lose anything they cannot afford to lose and to assist in getting the currency distributed effectively if/when there is a legitimate need to do so arises.

I'll be honest. I'm too embarrassed to be associated with Bitcoin to bring it up to people that I know in real life. I think there's a lot of people on this forum that feel the same way. I meet most of those criteria, and hell.. we've even developed a (mostly) clean room implementation of the Bitcoin stack, including functional double spend detection. The problem is that to the outside world, we're all now seen as loonies and overzealous libertarians living in our moms basements.

The problem isn't that the technology pieces are missing. The problem is that many of us are horribly jaded and misguided INTP and INTJ personality types with delusional thought patterns, narcissistic leanings, and what I can only describe as high functioning autism.

While cryptocurrencies aren't going to die, Bitcoin might have to. It is/was just an experiment, after all.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 08:46:13 AM

I'll be honest. I'm too embarrassed to be associated with Bitcoin to bring it up to people that I know in real life. I think there's a lot of people on this forum that feel the same way. I meet most of those criteria, and hell.. we've even developed a (mostly) clean room implementation of the Bitcoin stack, including functional double spend detection. The problem is that to the outside world, we're all now seen as loonies and overzealous libertarians living in our moms basements.

The problem isn't that the technology pieces are missing. The problem is that many of us are horribly jaded and misguided INTP and INTJ personality types with delusional thought patterns, narcissistic leanings, and what I can only describe as high functioning autism.

Heh.  I cannot really argue with a word of that or put it much better Smiley

While cryptocurrencies aren't going to die, Bitcoin might have to. It is/was just an experiment, after all.

I do have some questions about this, however.  Firstly, it is difficult to dislodge a first comer generally even with a much better product, and I see in the original a fairly stunning combination of well made technical decisions and startlingly good implementation (although in fairness, I've neither the skill nor time to analyze it line by line.)  Secondly, in spite of the market shakeups, or perhaps to some extent because of them, I suspect that the value base is relatively widely distributed amongst the most interested geeks and most of them are not going to wish to give it up.  I certainly won't.

I could see a situation where the block chain is used as a basis for other crypto-currencies or even other yet undreamed of things.  My 'investment' or 'speculation' is actually more in just getting some secret keys which have a positive balance representation in the block chain than it is about obtaining a lot more USD than I already have.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:06:20 PM

The idea someone had for making bitcoin payment and purchasing tools on cell phones would be one such evolution. Making it easier to use it to buy and sell is essential to getting more people to adopt it.

Getting cell phone users buying trinkets with Bitcoin is not something I feel is very appropriate at the moment.  But it would be a nice thing to have in the system's back pocket and I do believe that solutions are being and have been developed for this.

The people I would prefer to see being significantly involved in Bitcoin at the moment who be those who have a specific combination of tech savvy, reasonably well off financially, deeply suspicious of everything, and (with luck) having some measure of decency and honesty.

These types of people would be best situated to not lose anything they cannot afford to lose and to assist in getting the currency distributed effectively if/when there is a legitimate need to do so arises.

I'm ENTJ.  I'd be interested in marketing bitcoin if I knew where to start.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 05:14:19 PM

@zhoutong:

"spreads are high - so am i!" - lead slogan of your hedgeing bot? Wink

zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 06:56:04 PM

I'm ENTJ.  I'd be interested in marketing bitcoin if I knew where to start.

ENFJ here. :-)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 07:06:12 PM

@zhoutong:

"spreads are high - so am i!" - lead slogan of your hedgeing bot? Wink

We don't really have much choice. The market spread is there. If you buy and sell a few hundred coins, the slippage may be even more than the spread.

Situation is generally better when the price is high. Imagine the two scenarios:

You want to buy at $20, but someone offers to sell at $20.1000. (You may just place a limit order and wait for people to sell to you.)

You want to buy at $2, but someone offers to sell at $2.01000. (You may just spend one cent more.)

It's just the psychological difference. We all have experienced high and low prices, and sometimes a trader's psychology is not easy to adjust.

The former situation will yield more liquidity in the market, hence the spread will be lower.

So, let's wait for the price to increase!

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
saqwe

Activity: 700
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 08:07:17 PM

i kinda feel bad for people getting liquidated but swimming always makes me feel better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyk7MXsseg
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: