Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 05:41:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member - Oldtimer intro  (Read 2443 times)
KPK00 (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:00:28 PM

Hello! Just joined and will be perusing the forums at length over the next couple of days. Realizing upon my initial lookaround that I probably should have joined up as soon as I got into bitcoin, but I'm not usually much of a forum/social network fan.

First of all, I see that there is an incredible wealth of info shared here. Even taking all the rapid changes in the cryptoworld into account (and posts that will be outdated because of the constant change), I'm sure I will learn a lot just by reading. So, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share their knowledge with others.  Smiley

There are a lot of bitcoin stories out there. Here's mine.

I am a senior on a pension. As you all know, inflation has been insane the past few years, but my pension is fixed. People in my situation have been having an absolutely awful time just getting by. I have a tough time just paying my bills and keeping food on the table.

My great passion/vice in life is BOOKS. All my life I have adored everything about books, right down to the smell of them. My needs are pretty simple, but it was hell giving up books. Yes, I use my public library (a LOT!), but there are so many books they simply don't have. As my circumstances became more difficult, I found myself having to sell off most of my books... the loss still hurts.

So imagine how thrilled I was when I finally heard about bitcoin last summer... and that I could actually use it to purchase ebooks! OMG!!!

Now, I'm not very tech-savvy. My PC is old, and I don't have the hardware to mine, nor the know-how. I have never been lucky w/gambling, so I don't even try. However, I got on board with as many faucets as I could find, until I had earned enough to purchase a BTCClicks premium membership. I continue to earn tiny amounts of bitcoin via faucets and BTCClicks. I'm not happy about the mind-numbing tedium of these activities, but every time I do it, I just tell myself I'm getting a little bit closer to purchasing another ebook. My body may be getting pretty old, but my mind is still as sharp and keen to learn as ever. I need books in my life. They bring congenial companionship to my solitude.

Even if bitcoin never does anything more for me than allow me to continue purchasing ebooks, then it has enriched my life considerably. I just think it's absolutely amazing. Love it! My only wish is that I had heard about it and got on board a long time ago.

In the coming days I will be looking more closely at the forum for means of obtaining more bitcoins, as my shopping cart is always bulging but my wallet isn't. I just wanted to say that I have already peeked at a few pertinent threads and I must say the "get a job" refrain is pretty insulting. I know that young able-bodied people rule the world but they are not the only ones who live in it. So, please remember that there is at least one retired senior (me) here on the forum, who should not be told to get a job. I've done my time working, and working hard at that. Now I am just grateful beyond words that there is a way I can obtain new books once again. Even if they are only digital books, that I can't hold in my hands, and smell.  Cheesy

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this forum, it looks like an excellent resource!
Colin Miner

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 07:14:30 PM
Last edit: March 18, 2014, 07:34:42 PM by Colin Miner

qoinpro.com is a source for free coins, without the faucet captcha and cex.io is a way to get into mining without the hardware. Good luck in your venture.

My only wish is that I had heard about it and got on board a long time ago.

Oh the days of 10 000 BTC pizzas are long gone.

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
KPK00 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:14:18 PM

qoinpro.com is a source for free coins, without the faucet captcha and cex.io is a way to get into mining without the hardware. Good luck in your venture.

My only wish is that I had heard about it and got on board a long time ago.

Oh the days of 10 000 BTC pizzas are long gone.

http://i61.tinypic.com/11sineq.jpg

Yes, I'm signed up w/qoinpro. Have seen ads for cex.io but presumed it would cost more than I have to spare, so have yet to look into it. I suppose it's worth a look at least. Thanks for the prompting.

And OMG those pizzas look good. I do eat adequately, but only just - and certainly nothing so extravagant anymore. Would be nice to see more prosperous times return. Everybody deserves a little pizza now and then. I'll keep counting my blessings, and hopefully counting the bitcoins will follow.  Smiley
KPK00 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:54:55 PM

Follow-up: Having attempted to sign up for cex.io, I found it is closed to me, as I do not have a mobile phone. Just a landline. So, scratch another site off the list. Funny, I sensed it wasn't for me, and now I know. Thanks anyhow.  Smiley
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:59:33 PM

What and excellent introduction to the forum.  I'd suggest you look into the services section of the forum and see if there is anything there that will peek you interest in regards to making some coins.  It is very nice to see the more physically mature generation on the boards.  Big welcome to you Colin Miner.
KPK00 (OP)

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 10:25:48 PM

What and excellent introduction to the forum.  I'd suggest you look into the services section of the forum and see if there is anything there that will peek you interest in regards to making some coins.  It is very nice to see the more physically mature generation on the boards.  Big welcome to you Colin Miner.

Thanks much for the warm welcome, but I'm KPK00  Cheesy

I seem to be among the minority in my age group. I have tried to interest other seniors in bitcoin and without exception they have all shut me down immediately. I still keep hoping a few of them will begin to catch on. So many seniors are struggling these days, but most of them do have an Internet connection, and most of us have a little time to spare. If I weren't so hopelessly hooked on reading, I'd be applying my bitcoins to other little luxuries. It has really made a difference for me already. Wealth of knowledge has always been more desirable to me than wealth of money - nothing against that form of wealth, it's just secondary.  Smiley
txbt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 11:02:05 PM

Welcome!
I think you probably are aware of free (and legal in many countries) book sites. My favourites are Manybooks and Guttenberg.
They have different formats and Gutenberg has some audiobooks too.

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
Colin Miner

Activity: 196

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 11:36:12 PM

Follow-up: Having attempted to sign up for cex.io, I found it is closed to me, as I do not have a mobile phone. Just a landline. So, scratch another site off the list. Funny, I sensed it wasn't for me, and now I know. Thanks anyhow.  Smiley

Have you tried to follow the sign-up at cex.io but omit entering a phone number? You may be surprised!

FREE Namecoins (NMC), Devcoins (DVC) and IxCoins (iXC) while you mine Bitcoins (BTC) on the pool, in the cloud or both. Free to join, click here to Sign Up and mine your free coins.
Cheap VPS Hosting here or budget conscious Free cPanel hosting here. Buy BTC the safe and easy way at Localbitcoins.com (US and UK).
 "I'm no longer as confident as I was this morning." - xkeyscore89.  My Addie.cc.
more Free: BTC, LTC, FTC, TIPS, WDC, EAC & IFC
Yuki1988

Activity: 614

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:42:45 PM

Welcome KPK00
Bitcointalk is the best place for you to learn about bitcoin and everything about cryptocurrenies Smiley

Buziss

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 04:38:13 PM

Have seen ads for cex.io but presumed it would cost more than I have to spare, so have yet to look into it.

You are absolutely right, IMO the hashrate is overpriced.  Smiley

sudoku

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 08:15:57 AM

If you haven't done so already, I would suggest getting an ereader. There are thousands of books online that you can download for free. Also download Calibre, it's a free program to help organize your ebooks.

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
sanjoea

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 08:34:56 AM

Welcome to the forum

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
KPK00 (OP)

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 03:57:48 PM
Last edit: March 22, 2014, 04:12:31 PM by KPK00

Thanks for the replies & welcomes, everyone. I'm experiencing a busy interval with my online studies (taking an online course on Shakespeare at the moment), so am regrettably a bit behind with other stuff. Catching up as time permits over the weekend.  Smiley

BTW, my fave free book website is the Library Genesis Project. I always look there first before putting anything in my shopping cart. Ebookoid as well. I still use the Internet Archive for texts as well. Smiley

counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 06:03:35 PM

Thanks much for the warm welcome, but I'm KPK00  Cheesy

I seem to be among the minority in my age group. I have tried to interest other seniors in bitcoin and without exception they have all shut me down immediately. I still keep hoping a few of them will begin to catch on. So many seniors are struggling these days, but most of them do have an Internet connection, and most of us have a little time to spare. If I weren't so hopelessly hooked on reading, I'd be applying my bitcoins to other little luxuries. It has really made a difference for me already. Wealth of knowledge has always been more desirable to me than wealth of money - nothing against that form of wealth, it's just secondary.  Smiley

No need to thank me for the welcome friend it is my pleasure.  It is a excellent thing that your doing trying to push other older people to at least look into the realm of cryptography.  I hope someone you come in contact with takes your advice but either way you deserve a round of applause for trying.  Their is so many things I've found bitcoin can offer and I learn new things all the time.  I have little to no doubt that you will find many options for getting books with btc and making bitcions as you get deeper in the cryptology community.  Your positive outlook on mental vs physical wealth if very refreshing, cheers!
mrpulsar

Activity: 10

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:46:03 AM

KPK00, welcome to the community.

From your post you explain a 'get a job' attitude from other posts. I have seen that now and then but honestly as far as employment goes I guess I could be considered unemployed, but I don't feel that way. Keeping track of everything in the crypto world becomes a chore now and then, and it really helps to have friends around you that all keep track of the same type of topic of information. That way you can get some rest without having to worry, and a friend could always notify you should something catastrophic or advantageous begin happening in the market.

I will be completely honest with you KPK, the last few months have not been the best for me in my mining/trading, but really I think that my issue was impatience... I had loans to pay back, which I did (thank goodness). Everything I use to mine right now now, excluding one Radeon 7870, I earned from mining. I've been mining for just about a year now and while it's allowed me financial freedom I've never had before in my life, it's also brought on some extremely stressful situations that made me question the purpose of what I was doing and if I needed reconsider my actions. So far, I've held tight.

I don't want to promise silver linings, and I definitely won't preach like a Siren. You sound intelligent. Trust your experience, thoughts, and a little bit of gut power. I won't lie though, some of my 'gut decisions' have cost me dearly and other times I found myself in a position of simple luck. So... really, look at it for what it truly is at this moment: a gamble. Start slow, build your way up, and even though none of us can predict the future, just take care to notice when/if the bandwagon ever starts shifting.

As for crypto-coins... I am not the kind to promote/disrespect a specific coin, but I would advise that unless you're in a position to put down thousands of dollars for expensive mining equipment, find an entry for you that is credible and still allows you to get some coin. I will personally say that while bitcoin is the only crypto I use for trading, it's not what I mine. As for what I mine... I'd say it to be helpful but I don't want to put myself in a position of such confidence (or look like some advertising prick) in a time like this.

By being careful, mindful, and especially patient.... you'll do just fine.

Welcome again, KPK00. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.
elasticband
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Nighty Night Don't Let The Trolls Bite Nom Nom Nom

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 10:50:28 AM

Have you tried to follow the sign-up at cex.io but omit entering a phone number? You may be surprised!

Do not click this person referal link and joins cex.io

Unless you have an interest in day trading or high frequency trading cex is no place to make more btc than you put in.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1418

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 11:33:44 AM

Hello! Just joined and will be perusing the forums at length over the next couple of days. Realizing upon my initial lookaround that I probably should have joined up as soon as I got into bitcoin, but I'm not usually much of a forum/social network fan.

First of all, I see that there is an incredible wealth of info shared here. Even taking all the rapid changes in the cryptoworld into account (and posts that will be outdated because of the constant change), I'm sure I will learn a lot just by reading. So, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share their knowledge with others.  Smiley

There are a lot of bitcoin stories out there. Here's mine.

I am a senior on a pension. As you all know, inflation has been insane the past few years, but my pension is fixed. People in my situation have been having an absolutely awful time just getting by. I have a tough time just paying my bills and keeping food on the table.

My great passion/vice in life is BOOKS. All my life I have adored everything about books, right down to the smell of them. My needs are pretty simple, but it was hell giving up books. Yes, I use my public library (a LOT!), but there are so many books they simply don't have. As my circumstances became more difficult, I found myself having to sell off most of my books... the loss still hurts.

So imagine how thrilled I was when I finally heard about bitcoin last summer... and that I could actually use it to purchase ebooks! OMG!!!

Now, I'm not very tech-savvy. My PC is old, and I don't have the hardware to mine, nor the know-how. I have never been lucky w/gambling, so I don't even try. However, I got on board with as many faucets as I could find, until I had earned enough to purchase a BTCClicks premium membership. I continue to earn tiny amounts of bitcoin via faucets and BTCClicks. I'm not happy about the mind-numbing tedium of these activities, but every time I do it, I just tell myself I'm getting a little bit closer to purchasing another ebook. My body may be getting pretty old, but my mind is still as sharp and keen to learn as ever. I need books in my life. They bring congenial companionship to my solitude.

Even if bitcoin never does anything more for me than allow me to continue purchasing ebooks, then it has enriched my life considerably. I just think it's absolutely amazing. Love it! My only wish is that I had heard about it and got on board a long time ago.

In the coming days I will be looking more closely at the forum for means of obtaining more bitcoins, as my shopping cart is always bulging but my wallet isn't. I just wanted to say that I have already peeked at a few pertinent threads and I must say the "get a job" refrain is pretty insulting. I know that young able-bodied people rule the world but they are not the only ones who live in it. So, please remember that there is at least one retired senior (me) here on the forum, who should not be told to get a job. I've done my time working, and working hard at that. Now I am just grateful beyond words that there is a way I can obtain new books once again. Even if they are only digital books, that I can't hold in my hands, and smell.  Cheesy

Thanks again to all who have contributed to this forum, it looks like an excellent resource!

try ripple giveaway: http://www.ripplegiveaway.com

they have a btc and ltc faucet too in case you're interested. but you'll be needing a ripple wallet though.

to learn more about ripple go here:  http://coinjoint.info/ripple-might-want-pay-attention/ and here:  https://xrptalk.org/forum/61-faq-and-guides/  

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Sonny

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:05:27 PM

Welcome to bitcointalk.
IMHO, the best way for you to earn some bitcoin would be joining a sig ad program.
You would need around 2 months to get to member status if you keep posting, and then you can get 0.0001 BTC per post from Primedice.

It doesn't sound much, but I think it should be much better than faucets.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: