Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:46:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Question and Traditional Markets  (Read 304 times)
QEHedge (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 6

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 04:53:04 PM

When do you think that Stocks and other traditional financial derivatives will be connected to Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies?

Is this even possible? And if this was possible , could we see futures using BTC to short example GOOGLE?

Or if i wanted to trade my BTC for Google stocks , is that possible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 05:29:56 PM

When do you think that Stocks and other traditional financial derivatives will be connected to Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies?
There are two ways you can take this:
1. will bitcoin be tradable directly for stocks?
2. will stocks be put on the blockchian?

1. You can use a go-between such as fiat to convert cyrptocurrency to stock on exchange sites such as etoro (there are probably others but I've used etoro).
2. This is possible but I don't actually think it should or will be done because it could be possible for someone to own everything. If they wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to do it but you'd ve to make it so it will be difficult to upgrade the network without a certain consensus and a certain timelock to avoid sabatage.

Is this even possible? And if this was possible , could we see futures using BTC to short example GOOGLE?
Generally to short something you need someone else to long it. It would probably get really confusing trying to do things like longing bitcoin with gold and the derivatives markets that sell contracts just get annoying because it's how companies print money when done badly (and a lot of companies like to do things badly and worry about it later, normally when the company has gone to another ceo and that ceo is on a boat somewhere untouchably enjoying their retirement)...
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 401

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 05:48:54 PM

I think this is possible in the future, but it depends on governments. They will probably prefer to bring cryptocurrency into their world rather than go into crypto world. So, you will likely follow their difficult rules before you'll be allowed to participate.,whereas in real Crypto world (which is basically a decentralized world) rules are quite straightforward and not too hard.
We can only be sure of trading decentralized "companies" in the future

I think there are companies that offer similar  service... I am not sure though
sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 08:27:06 PM

This is possible. Abra just launched this kind of service, I have seen this news before but until now I haven't used them.

Abra launches new stock trading service that turns your $BTC into $FB

Is this exactly what you're looking for?

QEHedge (OP)

Activity: 67
Merit: 6

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 10:02:05 PM

There are two ways you can take this:
1. will bitcoin be tradable directly for stocks?
2. will stocks be put on the blockchian?

1. You can use a go-between such as fiat to convert cyrptocurrency to stock on exchange sites such as etoro (there are probably others but I've used etoro).
2. This is possible but I don't actually think it should or will be done because it could be possible for someone to own everything. If they wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to do it but you'd ve to make it so it will be difficult to upgrade the network without a certain consensus and a certain timelock to avoid sabatage.

Generally to short something you need someone else to long it. It would probably get really confusing trying to do things like longing bitcoin with gold and the derivatives markets that sell contracts just get annoying because it's how companies print money when done badly (and a lot of companies like to do things badly and worry about it later, normally when the company has gone to another ceo and that ceo is on a boat somewhere untouchably enjoying their retirement)...

Hmm interesting. I think that would make sense potentially if they were to turn a BTC ETF into a tradable commodity but i would be very wary of Paper Bitcoin being issued in the market. But if they did , they would need to do this with gold / silver / platinum etc. But if that happens , do we end up with a potential gold standard?

This is possible. Abra just launched this kind of service, I have seen this news before but until now I haven't used them.

Thats a good find. I'm going to do some due diligence.  Cheers!
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
December 19, 2019, 10:36:48 PM

On the major Wall Street exchanges, BTC base pairs would require Bitcoin becoming a unit of account. We're probably many years away from that, if ever.

You used to be able to short Google and similar stocks on 1Broker using BTC collateral. They were shut down by the SEC. SimpleFX offers (offered?) similar features but I can no longer find a list of available stocks on there.....only forex, crypto, and indices. They may have closed the stock markets after 1Broker was taken down. These are just CFD markets anyway; they aren't like owning real stock.

sunsilk

Activity: 2912
Merit: 620

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 01:59:13 AM

Thats a good find. I'm going to do some due diligence.  Cheers!
Great.

You should try it with due diligence but it's known that Abra is also a reputed company/exchange but they don't have the web app which where I'm always with that's why I can't try them until now.

It requires you to download their app, anyway, they are safe to use.

blckhawk

Activity: 1498
Merit: 327

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 04:16:52 AM

Your desired scenario could be possible in the future, only if the governments finally accept and adopt bitcoin as a legal currency. Then at that time, stock exchanges would give option to pay using cryptocurrency, or have a trading pair with BTC/Share.

Though that scenario is still far from happening. There are lots of hinders to such adoption. At one point, the government wants to mint their own coin and release it to the public, to still give them control over the currency.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
crossabdd
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1145

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 05:33:25 AM

it might happen. because bitcoin hasn't been over yet. bitcoin is still ongoing with its development. I still believe, one day bitcoin can be used for real finance. traditional trading or for real stocks. buy real products, stocks, commodities, etc. using bitcoin. I believe that can happen. only need time to realize it.
Wexnident

Activity: 2520
Merit: 665

I don't take loans, ask for sig if I ever do.

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 05:37:22 AM

Completely possible. But that's it. It's only a possibility. Various government institutions, exchanges, and companies need to have a consensus regarding these types of possible improvements and/or issues before such plans could go through. Pretty much Government policies right now remove BTC from the market of most major companies with their rules so BTC has had limited development as of late towards this.

Sides, you could actually see cryptocurrency and the government and various major companies as two sides of a coin. They can't meet yet and well they refuse to actually meet.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142

Slots Enthusiast & Expert

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2019, 06:23:58 AM

Since Bitcoin is a form of money, it can be used as a medium of exchange for anything that has value. It could replace the dollar used for stock trading.
However, if Bitcoin still treated as a speculative asset/commodity, then it wouldn't happen. AFAIK direct trading between commodity and stock doesn't exist, e.g., Gold to AAPL, etc.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Trela
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

The Decentralized TCP/IP Internet Protocol

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 10:12:06 AM

It could replace the dollar used for stock trading.
Bitcoin is widely used and has replaced USD in the cryptocurrency market. And it's still the best choice for BTC/Altcoin instead of USD/Altcoin of most traders.

However, if Bitcoin still treated as a speculative asset/commodity, then it wouldn't happen. AFAIK direct trading between commodity and stock doesn't exist, e.g., Gold to AAPL, etc.
Nice information for everyone!

it might happen. because bitcoin hasn't been over yet. bitcoin is still ongoing with its development. I still believe, one day bitcoin can be used for real finance. traditional trading or for real stocks. buy real products, stocks, commodities, etc. using bitcoin. I believe that can happen. only need time to realize it.
If that happens, it means that the government has considered Bitcoin valuable as a currency that can use as USD, even multinational. Remember, nowadays, when we travel to another country, we still have to exchange USD (or your country's currency) to the country you are visiting. Those things make it easy for the government to control money laundering purposes and for taxes. But with Bitcoin, it's another complicated story.

██
           ████ ▄▄▄
          ██  ▄██▄█
         ██ ▄█▀██
        ██▄█▀   ██
       ███▀      ██
     ▄██         ██
   ▄█
██            ██
█▀████    ▄▄▄      ███
▀▀▀██     █▄█▄     ████
  ██        ▀▀██▄▄  ████
 ███████████████▀▀███████
                   █▄█
Protect Your Privacy With Decentralized Internet Protocol
50 Million
Global Users
!     ▐█████▄
     ███████▌
    ▐███████
 ███
████████████▄▄▄
▐██
█████████████████▄
███
██████████████████
 ▀
████████▀▀▀████████
 ▐███████    ████████
 ████████    ███████▀
█████████▄▄████████▀
██████████████████▀
 ██████████████▀▀
  ▀▀███████▀▀▀
LISTED ON               
bithum &
bithum Global
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 10:35:58 AM

It could replace the dollar used for stock trading.

Nope. You can't print Bitcoin into oblivion. The stock market currently has been pumped similar to how crypto was pumped during the hype, but in this case it's debt fueling the biggest bull market the world has ever seen. You can't get that done with Bitcoin or Gold, both forms of money you can't create $100 billion of at will to pump in the economy.

The only way Bitcoin could play a role is that governments issue their stablecoin on Bitcoin and print as many of that as they can, but they can do that just as easily with their own private blockchain/network. I prefer them to use their own blockchain/network, which means that they don't have to inflict any damage on Bitcoin in case they somehow mess up, which they will at some point.
ecnalubma

Activity: 1526
Merit: 420

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 10:57:08 AM

This is a good initiative by crypto wallet Abra. They are not only after crypto now but in stock trading too good thing is you can both monitor your different holdings in one platform. I think it will also be better if a company will launch their web platform as well.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 11:06:09 AM

Questions are more of a wish than reality on ground. The real questions we should be asking is that are the developers working towards achieving this kind of feat. Just as @Jackg has said. For what you are asking to happen, then there is need to be a synchronization between bitcoin and the traditional stock markets which won't happen because we wished it to happen but because some developers are seeing that possibility thereby working towards it. But now, the developers are more about how to raise ICO, IPO and the lazy ones would go the route of doing hardfork to finance a project that exist and function in their own imaginations.
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2019, 01:59:03 PM
Merited by Rengga Jati (1)

Nope. You can't print Bitcoin into oblivion. The stock market currently has been pumped similar to how crypto was pumped during the hype, but in this case it's debt fueling the biggest bull market the world has ever seen. You can't get that done with Bitcoin or Gold, both forms of money you can't create $100 billion of at will to pump in the economy.
The same situation is applicable for Bitcoin with lots of unregulated exchanges. No need to use real Bitcoin, just some database/balance to represent it. As long as there is no successful "global proof of keys event" happen, what happens inside those exchanges can be questioned.

However, it's not really the main topic. With Bitcoin as MoE/UoA, the stock price could be represented with Bitcoin value. Of course, the stock price might seemingly get cheaper and cheaper since Bitcoin itself is good money.

My point is, it's not about can or can't, it's about willingness. Does the government want such a market? I don't think so.
It's possible if the government acknowledge Bitcoin as money.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Upgrade00
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 2173

Professional Community manager

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2019, 02:55:39 PM
Merited by mu_enrico (1)

Bitcoin as a currency has speculative value, and is viewed as a currency, stocks and bonds are also speculated on. Would investors want their assets to be hinged on another asset with (possible) wild volatility? I may be wrong in my supposition
There are many applications of Bitcoin, but first, I think it has to become a fairly atable currency.
Governments' influence would determine the direction that Bitcoin would take in a few years, adoption, regulation, control or rejection.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 20, 2019, 03:01:55 PM

If the stock is integrated into the blockchain, I think this is possible. But I think companies and the stock market will never do this because it doesn't help the stock market to grow, and it makes the stock trading process more complicated so much in advance.

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
mu_enrico
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2019, 07:00:48 AM

Bitcoin as a currency has speculative value, and is viewed as a currency, stocks and bonds are also speculated on. Would investors want their assets to be hinged on another asset with (possible) wild volatility? I may be wrong in my supposition
There are many applications of Bitcoin, but first, I think it has to become a fairly atable currency.
Governments' influence would determine the direction that Bitcoin would take in a few years, adoption, regulation, control or rejection.
Agree, in addition, contrary to the doomsayers' view about the collapse of Wall Street, debt problem, etc., so that Bitcoin could rise as the savior, which are improbable. Even with the collapse of the government, there is no guarantee that Bitcoin won't fail as well.

If we are talking about the stock market, we should realize that it is a highly regulated market. Hence, Bitcoin also has to be highly regulated. Do we want such a thing? It is a different discussion.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Blitzboy

Activity: 1218
Merit: 556

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
December 21, 2019, 08:59:43 AM

This is entirely feasible, the only problem is that the government does not accept it. Basically, Bitcoin has not yet been accepted as an official currency like fiat, its value is still very vague. Therefore, using bitcoin directly to buy stocks is impossible, you can only through intermediary transactions with cash to buy stocks. And on the other hand, the stock can't be put on the blockchain either, the stock represents part of a conglomerate's control, which means the controller has to be identified publicly, but for bitcoin, it seems to have can hide their identity.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄