Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 06:25:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: can't change data directory bitcoin-core 0.19.0.1 ubuntu 19.10  (Read 543 times)
minertalk (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 6

View Profile
January 05, 2020, 08:20:32 PM

I can't believe no one ask OP to share his/her debug.log file, it might contain hint to solve the problem.

Sorry for off-topic, but i see your HDD have tons of bad sector, have you checked the health of your HDD? See https://superuser.com/q/171195

the bad sectors are not the problem  that's 100% sure
I use spinrite , HDD Regenerator , the hdd is  fine now

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
January 05, 2020, 08:35:31 PM

As ETFbitcoin stated... have you actually checked what is in your debug.log after you try to set the directory and Bitcoin Core shuts down with the error? Huh

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
minertalk (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 09:53:41 PM

guys I install samourai dojo and work fine!

at this point I try it in 3 computers and each time  I get that same stuff,  I can't choose a different directory for the blockchain!
is a bitcoinQT wallet problem that's for sure!!

minertalk (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2020, 12:03:11 AM

guys I install samourai dojo and work fine!

at this point I try it in 3 computers and each time  I get that same stuff,  I can't choose a different directory for the blockchain!
is a bitcoinQT wallet problem that's for sure!!

Glad to see the problem resolved (in unexpected way), but i doubt Bitcoin Core is the problem since i don't see other user make report and i can change directory using Bitcoin Core 0.19.0.1

P.S. i see samourai dojo enforce Tor connection, hopefully you can be patient with slower connection

the problem is  NOT SOLVED  I just abandon it!  I think is a bitcoinQT issue

dojo is via TOR but I get the full block in sync  in one day and half , download/upload speed was ~ 8-15 MB/s , I was thinking that will be slow but was not (and I download the bitcoin blockchain twice cause I fuck it up when I install ubuntu , first time I choose to have it encrypted and that's not a good idea cause I was force to write the password every time I restart )
minertalk (OP)

View Profile
January 15, 2020, 07:55:19 PM

the problem is  NOT SOLVED  I just abandon it!  I think is a bitcoinQT issue

At this point, i only could suggest :
1. Downgrade to Core 0.18.1
2. Compile Bitcoin Core from source code (perhaps the bug was found and fixed, even though i can't find anything on GitHub issue page)
3. Use another Bitcoin full node client such as Bitcoin Knots

thank you for your suggestion but now I run samourai Dojo, is working pretty  nice so far
roberttseu

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 30, 2020, 06:54:29 AM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I happened upon it while trying to solve the exact same problem.
I am posting this to help any other users who may be put off of bitcoin-core by this issue when it turns
out that it is a problem with the way snap applications are sand-boxed by default within their own install
directory and lose permission to write to locations outside it. To get around this problem, go to

Menu -> System -> Software

Then click the "Installed" tab on the top of the window and scroll down until you find the listing
for bitcoin-core.(This assumes that you have already installed the snap version of the bitcoin-core app)
Click on it and the window will switch to the bitcoin-core info page where you will see a launch button.

Click on the Permissions button 2 buttons to the left of the Launch button.

A permissions window will pop up. On that window click the switch to the right of

"Read/write files on removable storage devices"

until it is enabled(Ticked).

Click close.

If you have already specified a folder outside of the default one on a previous launch of the bitcoin-core app
and received an error which prevents the app from launching then you might have to uninstall the app. Remove
the ~/snap/bitcoin-core folder, reinstall the app then repeat the above steps to make sure the proper permissions
are set before launching the app.

This is what I had to do to get bitcoin-core to be able to use a drive/partition/directory other than the default
directory as the data directory.

Hope this helps.
roberttseu

Activity: 2
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 01, 2020, 09:12:09 AM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I am on Peppermint 10 Respin based on ubuntu 18.04 and bitcoin-core 0.20.0
noblefire

Activity: 6
Merit: 7

View Profile
July 25, 2020, 05:00:28 AM
Merited by ABCbits (2), HCP (2)

Hey, so I ran into this same issue.

I was trying to use Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS and Bitcoin Core 0.20.0 and I had installed Bitcoin Core through the Snap Store.

I managed to get it working and it is downloading the blockchain now so I figured I'd share the solution.

Turns out the problem isn't with bitcoin-qt at all, the issue is with how snap does permissions and handles connections.

Heres a link to the interface management documentation:
https://snapcraft.io/docs/interface-management

Basically, the issue is that by default bitcoin-core doesn't allow read/write access to removable media.

You can view the interface connections by typing
Code:
snap connections bitcoin-core

This pulls up all the relevant information and you'll notice that the Slot for removable-media is left blank.

The documentation for the removable-media interface says that when it is enabled, you have read/write access to storage in /media.
https://snapcraft.io/docs/removable-media-interface

To connect the removable-media Plug to the empty Slot simply type
Code:
sudo snap connect bitcoin-core:removable-media :removable-media

Then, just check using the snap connections command again to see if it worked.

Once you have the manual connection made, you can then change the data directory in the Bitcoin Core GUI. Its important to note though that you first need to send a copy of  the bitcoin-core folder from your snap folder to your external hardrive. Do NOT just move the folder, you have to make a copy, it crashed my device when I tried just moving it.

So your custom data directory path should look something like
Code:
/media/(external drive)/bitcoin-core/common/.bitcoin

It should still say "a new directory will be created" underneath.
Then just hit OK and it should work and begin downloading.

Best of Luck!
mktahmasbi

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 16, 2022, 10:50:28 AM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I happened upon it while trying to solve the exact same problem.
I am posting this to help any other users who may be put off of bitcoin-core by this issue when it turns
out that it is a problem with the way snap applications are sand-boxed by default within their own install
directory and lose permission to write to locations outside it. To get around this problem, go to

Menu -> System -> Software

Then click the "Installed" tab on the top of the window and scroll down until you find the listing
for bitcoin-core.(This assumes that you have already installed the snap version of the bitcoin-core app)
Click on it and the window will switch to the bitcoin-core info page where you will see a launch button.

Click on the Permissions button 2 buttons to the left of the Launch button.

A permissions window will pop up. On that window click the switch to the right of

"Read/write files on removable storage devices"

until it is enabled(Ticked).

Click close.

If you have already specified a folder outside of the default one on a previous launch of the bitcoin-core app
and received an error which prevents the app from launching then you might have to uninstall the app. Remove
the ~/snap/bitcoin-core folder, reinstall the app then repeat the above steps to make sure the proper permissions
are set before launching the app.

This is what I had to do to get bitcoin-core to be able to use a drive/partition/directory other than the default
directory as the data directory.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! You just helped a friend here.
Was dealing with this issue and desperately clicked on page 2 and found your solution Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: