Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 01:55:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the land of corn  (Read 828 times)
Adambomb (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 06:35:46 PM

As is customary, just a quick intro.  I've been following Bitcoin for about 18 months, started GPU mining last May and managed to get some decent scratch before the ASICs hit the network.  Not much, but enough to get a nice pile of toys from Overstock and Tiger Direct  Cool  Since then I've played with mining Litecoin (I'm also Adambomb on Litecointalk), and have been mining Dogecoin since the beginning of this year.

I've spent a long time lurking, snagged some great advice from this forum when I had trouble getting mining running, and am excited about cryptos enough to join the party as more than a lurker.  By trade I'm an engineer, currently in Iowa but soon moving to Alabama.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 07:31:36 PM

Welcome to the community. Just make sure you jump out of Doge if it begins crashing - a coin built on a meme isn't very stable.

sudoku

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:30:33 PM

Welcome to the forum.  I mine dogecoin as well and holding them for the long haul.  All cryptos are volatile. While doge started as a joke it has a great community and lots of activity. I am optimistic on its future.

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
wallstreetcoiner

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:39:40 PM

http://www.filmequals.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Russell-Crowe-in-A-Beauti-009.jpg

Since then I've played with mining Litecoin (I'm also Adambomb on Litecointalk), and have been mining Dogecoin since the beginning of this year.

Welcome to the forum! Smiley

It's great that you see the opportunity in alternative currencies. Bitcoin has opened the door for many other coins and like the search engines of yesteryear, bitcoin could one day take a backseat to some of these emerging alts.

We are very lucky to have some brilliant minds working to solve the riddles left behind by Satoshi. One of these promising geniuses you should check out is akumaburn who some say is an ever better developer than Satoshi.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:24:31 PM

hey friend glad to have you come out of the shadows and join the realm of crypto discussion.  Seems you were able to maneuver your way in the mining game and make some profit, kudos to you for that. 
R0yalAir

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 09:47:10 PM

Welcome to the forums.  It's great to have experienced people involved.

fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 03:58:10 AM

I guess you learn something new everyday, I didnt know Iowa was land of corn.

gofoter

Activity: 182

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:06:49 PM

Hm,hello.Nice to see you here.

Yuki1988

Activity: 614

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 01:36:25 PM

Adambomb, welcome to bitcointalk Smiley
How many GPUs are you having now?  Cheesy

Adambomb (OP)

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:28:55 PM

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Dogecoin is kind of a trip.  It's just plain silly in its own right, although the community is its strong suit.  Very welcoming and pushing towards wide adoption, but at the same time I can imagine pulling in a lot of people who may or may not be in it for the long haul.  It has been slumping the last few weeks, but they've just implemented a hard fork to reduce the impact of multipools, so it's still got quite a bit of support.  I'm still planning to hodl for the time being.  I've never really been into gambling, but I get a little bit of a gambler's rush playing with it.  As they say, never hurts to diversify...  I really like the analogy of the current state of cryptos to '90s search engines.  Back then Google just came out and seemed pretty nifty, but they still had to do a lot to compete with Altavista, Yahoo, Lycos, etc.

As for my mining rig, it's currently quite the "profiteering slumlord" variety, with three random Ebay 5850s on my desktop I work on, and a 5870 in my media center.  I just reduce the intensity on the card that runs my displays when I'm working on it, and it's a decent balance outside of the fact that there is really nothing quiet about 3 GPUs running flat out lol.  Also that extra heat was nice this winter, but we'll see how I feel in a few months...  I'm also CPU mining on my desktop, as it turns out AMD FX processors can still generate a teensy profit mining DOGE, and minerd runs a low enough priority that I can still run Solidworks CAD while mining without losing responsiveness.   Cool  I learned the value of getting more coins even at low profit margins when I was Bitcoin mining...what I mined over the summer wasn't even enough to get ROI on my GPU at the time, but then BTC went from $100 to $1000, and my loss turned into a nice little profit.

Just scored a new job where I'll finally be making decent money, once I get settled there I'm planning on throwing together a 5 or 6 GPU rig, thinking of going bananas with some 7950s or an R9 variety. 
sudoku

Activity: 126

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:33:43 PM

lol at "profiteering slumlord". So what would you call someone with 20+ antminers?

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
Adambomb (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:48:01 PM

lol at "profiteering slumlord". So what would you call someone with 20+ antminers?

Hmm...sounds like a ninja clan chief, because you have a small army that could be set out quietly in the night in places you least expect, almost completely undetectable.  I'm imagining a university computer lab with one plugged into every computer that nobody would ever find out about, just assume it's some kind of software key dongle or something.

As for "profiteering slumlord," I figured that worked because I'm not quite large enough of an operation to be a plantation master.  I scour Ebay for old graphics cards that probably had a cushy life doing some occasional gaming, their owners probably used to have a lot of fun with them and brag about them, but decided to move on.  They were probably in a nice roomy case with lots of cooling (I got a couple with some nice aftermarket coolers on them!), and had a proud, easy life.  Then I snatch them up for cheap, cram as many as I can into a hacked up 1981 vintage IBM XT case where it is hot, noisy, and crowded, overclock and undervolt them, and then run them flat out until they die.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1613789_10101650256689330_925317607_n.jpg
Flashman

Activity: 518

Hodl!

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:54:52 PM

Just scored a new job where I'll finally be making decent money, once I get settled there I'm planning on throwing together a 5 or 6 GPU rig, thinking of going bananas with some 7950s or an R9 variety. 

Yah, I wouldn't go "all in" on brand new GPUs and hardware to support at the moment... more "profiteering slumlord" stuff you can scrape up might be okay though.

As recently as a week ago I was looking at the available scrypt mining ASICs and saying "They're only as much of a threat to scrypt as FPGA was to BTC"

BUT, then KNC announced ... 100 Megahash scrypt miner, The Titan

Which is some serious hashpower.

I think it's going to obsolete GPUs out of scrypt coins in about 6 months.

TL;DR See Spot run. Run Spot run. .... .... Freelance interweb comedian, for teh lulz >>> 1MqAAR4XkJWfDt367hVTv5SstPZ54Fwse6

Bitcoin Custodian: Keeping BTC away from weak heads since Feb '13, adopter of homeless bitcoins.
Adambomb (OP)

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:22:16 PM

Yah, I wouldn't go "all in" on brand new GPUs and hardware to support at the moment... more "profiteering slumlord" stuff you can scrape up might be okay though.

As recently as a week ago I was looking at the available scrypt mining ASICs and saying "They're only as much of a threat to scrypt as FPGA was to BTC"

BUT, then KNC announced ... /kusPNb]100 Megahash scrypt miner, The Titan

Which is some serious hashpower.

I think it's going to obsolete GPUs out of scrypt coins in about 6 months.

Yeah, that is true.  I'll probably do a quick cost analysis between a few and just go with what's cheapest, and used is fine with me.  Little more work shopping, but 5-6 used cards still isn't that much work.  If I can nab some used 7950s that would be amazing, they're so much more efficient than my 5850s they'd definitely keep me in the game longer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: