Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:34:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Investment thoughts - off the beaten path  (Read 217 times)
MajorMiner (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 196

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2019, 05:20:23 PM
Merited by Heisenberg_Hunter (1), Bossian (1)

Love the investment threads folks started here, so I thought I contribute a non technological tangent - perishable consumable commodities.

1. Vanilla - prices and quality stabilizing but its still a single source product, demand is a loaded spring since no one wanted to pay the highest price but gradually realized that chemical alternatives are not the way to go.
   Is there opportunity growing outside of the troubled Madagascar while preserving the quality? I mean porchini mushrooms escaped Europe and now South Africa dominates porchini export and they can be found in Australia and New Zealand.

2. Coffee - Legal Crack - demand continues to outpace supply, tons of room for small boutique business models of specific delectables.
   Lots of verticals like various shit coffees (like shit-coins but vastly more expensive than originals) - like Kopi luwak (coffee beans in civet shit), or Black Ivory Coffee (coffee ran through an elephants digestive track) - set up fair market ethical farm where no animals are harmed and save the planet while getting caffeine high.

3. Cacao - like Bitcoin its off the ATH but still the demand is huge and there are opportunities to make money.

4. Bananas - the current clone varieties are dying, find viable scalable alternative - win the game.

5. Olives - European Olive gardens are dying, because Xylella fastidiosa, this process cant be stopped at the present, overall demand for olives and olive oil continues to grow.

6. Spices - rare spices from hard to reach places - got a friend who quit a job at Google and making mad coin traveling the world importing spices - never a dull moment.

7. AMMO - heh heh sorry not a food and not exactly perishable/consumable unless shit hits the fan, but seriously another friend of mine from the South, against the best wishes of his wife, dumped his 401k into 50 cal ammo,  made a ton of money selling it at peak ATH (yeah he was licensed etc).

"Food" for though eh?

Enjoy!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
December 28, 2019, 12:37:23 AM
Last edit: December 28, 2019, 01:03:33 AM by franky1

with the energy generation of solar and the energy output of blue/red light LED's making it efficient to grow in vertical farming and in area's not normally deemed habital for such crops, means many new places will start growing different forms of organic produce

also other farming tech, like knowing the best fertiliser mix helps other farming types too
take the famous irish potato. did you know the UK now imports more of it from egypt. yep they grow irish potato's in the egyptian desert.

they have made the egyptian sands fertile enough for potatos to grow and they have sourced water to feed them.. 20 years ago people would have thought that was sci-fi. but its happening

so yes expect growth of crops in new countries never before seen. but from an investment point. expect prices to go down as people find those more efficient ways to grow crops
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2019, 10:03:11 PM

Domain names (especially liquid domains) continue to prove to be high performing investments/digital assets year after year. In fact, crypto domains have shown better returns than cryptos themselves in some cases.
MajorMiner (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2020, 06:03:17 AM

Domain names (especially liquid domains) continue to prove to be high performing investments/digital assets year after year. In fact, crypto domains have shown better returns than cryptos themselves in some cases.
As someone who is holding over two hundred domains, and made a couple of bucks off them, I fully agree  Grin
Geo dependent crypto domains, and emerging tech domains are quite tasty if you have the foresight  Wink
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2449

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2020, 10:15:51 AM

I'm down to about 500 names at the moment, and I've been neglecting them. I got the hump with Sedo because they wouldn't pay out in Sterling, but I might revisit them. Name Silo used to pay out in Bitcoin,but they've stopped doing that now, and that is a bit sad for me.
MajorMiner (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2020, 05:19:58 PM

I'm down to about 500 names at the moment, and I've been neglecting them. I got the hump with Sedo because they wouldn't pay out in Sterling, but I might revisit them. Name Silo used to pay out in Bitcoin,but they've stopped doing that now, and that is a bit sad for me.
I made more money by identifying businesses that can use my domains and reaching out directly to them rather than waiting on broker sites. Several domains I actually purchased in advance with a particular customer in mind, and had about 30 percent success with that. Not my main line of revenue generation, but a fun hobby though.
Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2020, 08:17:18 AM

they have made the egyptian sands fertile enough for potatos to grow and they have sourced water to feed them.. 20 years ago people would have thought that was sci-fi. but its happening

I worked for Shell international in the 1960s, and they developed a product to do this. The greatest problem they found in turn deserts into arable land is the shifting surface, as this prevents plants from laying down roots. They developed a sticky fertiliser that they could spray over the land. Once you have trees and bushes with roots, then they help to retain the ground water. They had to give up though, as the locals pulled up all the plants and burnt them to warm themselves in the cold nights.
MajorMiner (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2020, 06:15:46 AM

I worked for Shell international in the 1960s, and they developed a product to do this. The greatest problem they found in turn deserts into arable land is the shifting surface, as this prevents plants from laying down roots. They developed a sticky fertiliser that they could spray over the land. Once you have trees and bushes with roots, then they help to retain the ground water. They had to give up though, as the locals pulled up all the plants and burnt them to warm themselves in the cold nights.

Its always brutal when use case collides with designers vision  Cheesy
Thing that I find fascinating is that there are regions in desert climate zones where there is drinkable water available under the sand...
Another thing that I saw interesting back few years ago was a terraforming project that started at the coast somewhere in West Africa, desalinating ocean water with solar power, using ocean water as a cooler, growing algae in huge vats, converting algae into alcohol and fertilizer, enriching soil with fertilizer, using alcohol for fuel, and reclaiming productive moving inland from the coast. It was a pretty involved chain project that looked like a scifi terraforming -way cool!
Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2020, 06:57:45 AM

The trouble with all these fancy projects is that they are designed to benefit Big Pharma, and not mankind. Using fertilisers to increase crop yield reduces the health of the world population. Mother nature has spent years testing and evolving out world, and we are attempting to change it to enrich a few elite dynasties. Anyone who tries to resist this is branded with a while bunch of inappropriate labels. "Climate change denier" is one such label. We don't deny that the climate is changing, we just don't think it is caused by cows farting, and carbon dioxide. You only need to look at the health of most people these days, to realise that a lot of things are wrong. Most diets are deficient in minerals, and one cause of this is a reduction in ruminant animals ruminating. Feeding cows with artificial protein rather than allowing them to feed on self-fermented grass creates low value meat, and it breaks the natural cycles of farming, by denying the return of minerals to the soil.

We need more ruminants reared in pastures, and not synthetic protein grown on strings in artificial atmospheres.
MajorMiner (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2020, 07:35:17 AM

The trouble with all these fancy projects is that they are designed to benefit Big Pharma, and not mankind. Using fertilisers to increase crop yield reduces the health of the world population. Mother nature has spent years testing and evolving out world, and we are attempting to change it to enrich a few elite dynasties. Anyone who tries to resist this is branded with a while bunch of inappropriate labels. "Climate change denier" is one such label. We don't deny that the climate is changing, we just don't think it is caused by cows farting, and carbon dioxide. You only need to look at the health of most people these days, to realise that a lot of things are wrong. Most diets are deficient in minerals, and one cause of this is a reduction in ruminant animals ruminating. Feeding cows with artificial protein rather than allowing them to feed on self-fermented grass creates low value meat, and it breaks the natural cycles of farming, by denying the return of minerals to the soil.

We need more ruminants reared in pastures, and not synthetic protein grown on strings in artificial atmospheres.
No no, sorry I did not go into detail, what I mean by fertilizer - it was not a chemical conversion, but a simple soil enrichment with a mix of algae which they grew right there, and algae which they burned after they fermented and extracted alcohol from it (like depleted algae ash)... Visually it was impressive, they had these 12 foot tall clear tubes (glass I guess) filled with water and algae exposed to the sun so it grew like crazy. SO basically the idea was to enrich poor sandy soil with organic compound from the ocean. I got to dig up that article this was decades ago. The idea was to convert desert into farmland using resources available nearby. Definitely agree with you on organic agriculture, as a kid I spent many of my summers on a farm Smiley Responsible grazing, and crop rotation kept the grass green, the grain plentiful and the cows happy.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4442

View Profile
February 23, 2020, 07:34:48 AM

other thoughts are the OP's chosen perishable investments are over saturated by big agri. meaning little guy starting a farm and trying to get their product into retail is a hardship in itself.

as for investing in big agri. you invest mainly in the off season and HOPE it will be a good season. but with known quota's, distribution paths. a individual cannot be as savvi at getting returns as bigagri can. so its never a FIFI (first in first out) oppertunity for individuals.. usually your at the whims of what reports big agri produce AFTER big agri have read/used it themselves
in short individuals will always be on the tail end of price movements way after the action has occured
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: