Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:56:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running nodes on linux  (Read 180 times)
cryptoperkele (OP)

Activity: 889
Merit: 60

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 04:21:00 PM
Merited by LFC_Bitcoin (1), OmegaStarScream (1)

Hi, i am a Linux noob and would like to know which Linux version should i start with my laptop if i want to run a Bitcoin node and various altcoin nodes?
Pros and cons pretty please.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 04:43:40 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2019, 05:03:49 PM by OmegaStarScream
Merited by Quickseller (2), cryptoperkele (1)

Since you're a beginner with Linux, starting with Ubuntu/Kubuntu[1] might be a good idea but you should be fine with any distribution really, it's just a matter of preferences.

[1] https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#linux-instructions

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cryptoperkele (OP)

Activity: 889
Merit: 60

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 07:17:05 PM

Since you're a beginner with Linux, starting with Ubuntu/Kubuntu[1] might be a good idea but you should be fine with any distribution really, it's just a matter of preferences.

Cool, if it doesn't matter i'll just google some popular version then. Thanks.

Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2019, 07:41:47 PM

As OmegaStarScream pointed out, you could better go with Ubuntu or a simple Tails OS as well. Ubuntu is one of the best newbie friendly Linux based operating system out in the market and on top of that they do have 'Personal Package Archives'. I have been using Ubuntu for quite a long time and I am really pleased with the newbie-friendly feel it does provide to the new Linux users.

The major problem with using a Tails OS for running a full node is that it makes us to download the blockchain again since disconnecting from the host does make the Tails OS to erase all the older memories it has stored. FreeBSD is a better option for you to run the native client and I guess the BSD comes with a bitcoind package in the repository (though I am not really sure about this)

Once you get used to the Linux based OS quite often, I recommend you to try with Arch Linux. These OS are mostly used by Developers and advanced Linux users and they do offer a pretty good security when comparing with other Linux based operating systems. Linux Mint acts as a perfect alternative to Ubuntu OS but either way its really good to start off with Ubuntu. I personally have been using Ubuntu and WSL in Windows 10 and have been compiling Core for over a year and I would recommend the same for you as well.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 07:56:09 PM

I quite like debian too for running more complex stuff that requires too many dependencies for minimalistic distros.

I think core was best optimised for some flavour of debian as it seems to run much better on them than it does any other distor (fewer extra things to install)...
Bitcoin_Arena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1788

฿itcoin for all, All for ฿itcoin.

View Profile
December 30, 2019, 11:09:25 PM

From Personal experience, Ubuntu Distro is one of the best for the beginner. It has much user friendly features compared to the other distos but with time as you learn and after getting used to Linux, you can try out other distros too  Wink

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
hobo698

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2019, 06:08:18 PM

I see this post will help me. One question, Would PCLinux OS work with this. I have triple boot here with Win10, Ubuntu and Pclinux which is my preference. I have not run Debian for a while but am very experienced in that OS also. 
kusanagi01

Activity: 180
Merit: 14

View Profile
January 01, 2020, 06:04:09 PM

if you have good laptop than use ubuntu, if you how low one just use lubuntu or kubuntu , some of linux that can run in low laptops
and you just go to youtube and search how install and how use commands
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2020, 10:12:36 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2020, 01:29:48 AM by Artemis3

Hi, i am a Linux noob and would like to know which Linux version should i start with my laptop if i want to run a Bitcoin node and various altcoin nodes?
Pros and cons pretty please.

There are none. Any version works. You should get an updated bitcoind and that probably has some dependencies that most distros should satisfy, unless you compile it.

I have nothing to say about altcoins but their requirements should be similar. It all amounts to what do you want to do with that laptop, because for the most bare needs you don't even need a gui (or a laptop, a raspberry pi or similar is good enough).

But anyway if you want recommendations, I'll say MX Linux. Its currently no.1 on Distrowatch.

Remember unless you plan to run your nodes pruned, they need space, LOTS of space, as in 300g or so for Bitcoin's blockchain alone and have the patience to wait for that to download. Pruned nodes will download the same, but won't keep the older transactions stored afterwards.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
hobo698

View Profile
January 01, 2020, 11:39:33 PM

Ubuntu is the answer, not only you don't need to bother with configuration (install dependency, search/configure driver, etc.), most of your questions either already answered or someone will answer them.

What if I want to run a Bitman USB Antminer just to get started? I have a Win 10 64bit system. I have been doing some reading here on the forum but I am really confused about some things here. I was able to get
MinGW
from the link of

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

but cannot find a few of the files needed to get this to set upright. Some of the links for the files in the "install for windows" are not longer active. I want to set up bfgminer just to get my feet wet.  Can anyone get me started. If not I can load Ubuntu again.
Best Regards.

hobo698

View Profile
January 03, 2020, 03:35:27 AM

Ubuntu is the answer, not only you don't need to bother with configuration (install dependency, search/configure driver, etc.), most of your questions either already answered or someone will answer them.

What if I want to run a Bitman USB Antminer just to get started? I have a Win 10 64bit system. I have been doing some reading here on the forum but I am really confused about some things here. I was able to get
MinGW
from the link of

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/

but cannot find a few of the files needed to get this to set upright. Some of the links for the files in the "install for windows" are not longer active. I want to set up bfgminer just to get my feet wet.  Can anyone get me started. If not I can load Ubuntu again.
Best Regards.

If you need to compile an application using MinGW, how about use boot to Ubuntu LiveCD, install MinGW (and other dependecy) and compile it from Ubuntu LiveCD ?

If the problem is specific to Bitman USB Antminer, i recommend you to ask the question on Mining support

I thank you for the response friend. I was able to get cgminer installed in Win 10 tonight. It was my blunderous u know what causing the issue. I am going to hook up the miner in the morning and get it running via the terminal. Once I see what I am doing I am moving back over to my home Linux OS. Again I have a way to go, and I will do this in time.
Best to you!
Hobo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: