Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:44:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hooking up Antminer S3 to 750 watt power supply  (Read 228 times)
vickersja (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 34

To be the man, you gotta beat the man...... WOOOOO

View Profile
January 02, 2020, 09:36:58 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2020, 01:46:12 AM by frodocooper

Hello.  I am trying to hook up my Antminer S3 to an HP 750 watt power supply but something is wrong....

Here is the power supply:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/112855411482

I may not be hooking it up correctly...  There are only 4 power slots but the PSU has 8....  They are numbered P1-P8.

The Antminer powers on and the fan is running very slowly.  

Ethernet lights are blinking and both the red and green lights are illuminated.

When I try to go to the 192.168.1.99 it says page cannot be displayed.  I didn't have any problems with the S9.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Here are some images:

https://s1065.photobucket.com/user/vickersja/media/IMG_4527.jpg.html
https://s1065.photobucket.com/user/vickersja/media/IMG_4528.jpg.html

I am thinking I may have a larger issue... I tried another PSU and same thing.  And the Antminer is not showing up on the ip search, and 192.168.1.99 is not found....

Any ideas?  I reset it, but even though when I depress the button is does not seem to do anything except turn off the ethernet lights.  Red and Green remain illuminated.

Earn Bitcoin with Lolli:  https://lolli.com/share/FbdPrN6jTu
Link credit card for in-store shopping or use browser extension for online shopping

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SDRebel

Activity: 569
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 04:39:34 AM

Did you own it previously or someone else did? Maybe it's configured for static IP allocation, not uncommon specially if someone owned many and wanted to keep track of each.
Keep trying the factory reset so you can start from scratch. I believe that's what i did with the ones i bought online.
It's also quite possible your miner is bad. This is how one of mine died.
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 09:34:49 AM

According to a quick google search this was found on bitmains website:-

"After powering on the miner for 2 minutes, please press "Reset" button for 5 seconds, then release it. The miner will be restored factory settings within 4 minutes and automatically restart (no need to power off the miner)."

Also I assume your network IP range is set to 192.168.1.** and not 192.168.0.** ??

I had to change mine to find a second hand miner I purchased so I could log in and change the network settings in the miner over to my default network IP range.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
vickersja (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 04:07:48 PM

Did you own it previously or someone else did? Maybe it's configured for static IP allocation, not uncommon specially if someone owned many and wanted to keep track of each.
Keep trying the factory reset so you can start from scratch. I believe that's what i did with the ones i bought online.
It's also quite possible your miner is bad. This is how one of mine died.

Thanks.  Yes, it was purchased from eBay.  Ill keep trying.  Thank you.

Link credit card for in-store shopping or use browser extension for online shopping
DaCryptoRaccoon

Activity: 1203
Merit: 582

OGRaccoon

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 04:27:13 PM
Merited by frodocooper (2)

With the S3 you should press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds then wait 3 min for the software to reset then re-boot the miner.
As said above this should re-set you back to the main window and default the IP back to standard.

You may wish to try hook the miner to your laptop or PC and manually set the IP

here is the step by step process to configure your AntMiner.

Code:
Start Button  >  Control Panel  >  Network and Internet (View network status and tasks)  >>  Change adapter setting (Left side of the screen)  >>  Local Area Connection (Double Click)  >> Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then Click on “Properties”  >>  Select Use the following IP address:

Your S3 has a factory default IP address of :
192.168.1.99 and the Netmask of 255.255.255.0 and the Gateway 192.168.1.1

Set your computer's IP address to the following:

IP Address: 192.168.1.250
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

For the DNS Setting:  Select “Obtain DNS server address automatically

If you still cannot find it on the network then the miner may have other issues.
One issues with the S3 miners if the mosfet driver not kicking in this will stop the board starting up when you turn on the S3 miner listen to it carefully you should here some sort of noise as the power kicks in and the fans spin up if there  is not this noise the board may be bad and require fixing.

Feel free to hit me up if you need more help I am still a S3 user to this day!

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃   💎 Mine Solo with CKPool 💎    ┃
┃    ➤ Hit Blocks on Your Own!      ┃
┃ ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓┃
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 6376

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 04:42:08 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2020, 12:50:32 AM by frodocooper

You tried a different PSU, I assume you know the new psu is good right? in that case we can ignore the possibility of the PSU causing the issue, now you have two things to deal with.

1-A dead miner/control board , you can't do anything about it (sadly).

2-A network related issue, try a different Ethernet cable and then follow this topic  If your miner is not showing on the network > here is what you doing wrong.

post your results here so others can assist you better.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
vickersja (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 04:49:28 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2020, 12:51:49 AM by frodocooper

[...]

I was able to do everything except change the DNS setting.  "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is grayed out.

When I power up the miner, the fans kick on and it is very quiet.  The red and green lights are both on constantly as well as the yellow ethernet light.  The green ethernet light flickers.  I know from the S9 that the red and green miner status lights should not be solid as these are.  Could that be the problem?

Yes, we have electric heat and I wanted to use this quiet miner for a heat source this winter.

[...]

Thank you.  Yes, I tried 2 different PSU's.  I even used the PSU from my S9 (only 4 cables) in 110v and I know that works.

Ill admit my network skills are not that vast.  I will certainly read up on the thread you posted, thank you.  I had no issues whatsoever on my 2 S9's and 1 V9.

DaCryptoRaccoon

Activity: 1203
Merit: 582

OGRaccoon

View Profile
January 04, 2020, 06:23:03 PM

If the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" is greyed out is if you have selected a STATIC IP ADDRESS, in other words you have selected NOT to use "Obtain an IP address automatically".

If you do this and select a Static IP Address, you are electing not to have your IP address for your computer assigned by the DHCP in your router/gateway.

Hope this helps!

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓
┃   💎 Mine Solo with CKPool 💎    ┃
┃    ➤ Hit Blocks on Your Own!      ┃
┃ ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓  ███▓▓┃
vickersja (OP)

View Profile
January 06, 2020, 09:02:04 PM

I think this unit is defective.  I received another one and the IP address was found right away.  thanks for the help everyone.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: