Poll
Question: Is College Worth It?
Yes, for the majority - 16 (27.6%)
Not for the majority - 32 (55.2%)
50/50 - 10 (17.2%)
Total Voters: 58

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is College Worth it? So many graduates In Debt/Underemployed  (Read 4872 times)
doriangray

Activity: 567
Merit: 503

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:32:11 AM

How many get degrees in fields for which there is no market, or if there is, it pays next to nothing. Unless you are independently wealthy, college years should be spend to learn a profession which will provide for your livelihood with enough left over to repay your loans.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses .100% original codebase.
  Superfast with .30 seconds instant finality.
  Tested .5000 tx per block. on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 04:44:12 AM

I met my wonderful hubby in college so it was worth it for me.  Grin

That said, I really think it is crazy to spend $30,000+ per year for a degree.  I have a niece that just graduated from a private university.  She has not been able to find work in her field (forensic science) and is working as a waitress.  She now is trying to pay off her college loan and it is really hard. 

I have thought that if Bitcoin does take off in a wild and crazy manner then I won't really care if my kids want to go to an expensive 4 year college.  If I can pay for it with a few bitcoins then why not!?  But realistically, it seems like a better value just to go to a community college for two years or a less expensive state school.  Or for some just going to a trade school isn't a bad option either.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
direction

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 05:50:58 AM

It depends.

Going to college for something you can just learn from books is not worth it.When you need something more practical that is hard to learn from books smaller courses are cheaper, take less time and are much more useful.

Still if you want to be doctor, civil engineer or something like that, college is kinda must have.
As university as you say and society is different schools. You are totally different.
department

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 08:23:31 AM

How many get degrees in fields for which there is no market, or if there is, it pays next to nothing. Unless you are independently wealthy, college years should be spend to learn a profession which will provide for your livelihood with enough left over to repay your loans.

May you have said is true, but the reality is so cruel, many people want to do but cannot do.
counter

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:30:01 AM

Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.
CoinsForTech

Activity: 698

5% Bitcoin Discount - All Orders

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 06:39:13 AM

Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

My thoughts exactly. I never went to university because I did not know what my goals were. No point wasting 3+ years and a whole lot of cash if I wasn't sure that was the direction I wanted to move.

Instead I did work experience for an excellent sales company and the rest was history! School of hard knocks > college in my opinion.

counter

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 08:33:37 AM

My thoughts exactly. I never went to university because I did not know what my goals were. No point wasting 3+ years and a whole lot of cash if I wasn't sure that was the direction I wanted to move.

Instead I did work experience for an excellent sales company and the rest was history! School of hard knocks > college in my opinion.

good for you getting a real skill you can use for a long time to come and you saved yourself a ton of debt.
rosechose00

Activity: 42

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 12:48:11 PM

Things you learn from college can be learnt from books and practical experience. Knowledge wise, it is not worth it. From securing a good steady job stand point, college is well worth it. How else can you give an employer confidence that you are as you as you say, against other hundreds of applicants?

The main school is now divorced from society and more powerful.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 01:53:39 PM

Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

+1

I'm currently learning Artwork and Jewellery through private tuition ( which is actually going to cost my parents less in the long run ) and as people will see in my signature starting up my own business Tongue >_< Must build and create m0ar!
Satterfield

Activity: 39

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:33:47 PM

Study is very important to stand up on your own foot.So college is good to gain some knowldge.
RobFordWotWot

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

time

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 05:39:26 PM

Yes for the majority, no for anybody with a brain in their skull.

Horses in midstream.

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:46:53 PM

If you want to be a surgeon, then going to college is your only choice. If you want to be a programmer or an entrepreneur then college is most likely going to be a waste. Then there are jobs which are kind of in the middle of the two extremes like a scientist for example where a college education is recommended but is not mandatory.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:37:11 PM

It depends on the situation and what you want to be.
You won't find a (real) doctor without a college degree.  Cheesy

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
RobFordWotWot

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

time

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:25:56 PM

It depends on the situation and what you want to be.
You won't find a (real) doctor without a college degree.  Cheesy

I don't know there was this guy selling gills in the street the other day that seemed pretty legit.

Horses in midstream.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

College degrees can come in handy when you are self-employed. Gives you a definite advantage in most of the freelancing websites.
counter

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:34:16 AM

Basically if you go to school and don't an idea of what you want to do with your future you will just be wasting money.  You could actually be working and getting a head start in the work force.

+1

I'm currently learning Artwork and Jewellery through private tuition ( which is actually going to cost my parents less in the long run ) and as people will see in my signature starting up my own business Tongue >_< Must build and create m0ar!

Very nice and a good trade if you ask me.  Good luck with that business of yours I hope business booms for you my friend.
counter

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 04:36:09 AM

College degrees can come in handy when you are self-employed. Gives you a definite advantage in most of the freelancing websites.

I think the issue is also that there will be many people that will have the diploma and not everyone will get the job.  That is happening already from what I've seen.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:46:55 PM

I was reading my newspaper and they were even quoting 25% unemployment for medical graduates (Doctor level) of all things.   I happen to have older siblings, and know their friends of friends, and I know plenty of people who graduated with 'good degrees' like engineering and never managed to land a career in their field (and are stuck with lower incomes).  

I don't know if blaming baby boomers or technological unemployment is the case here.  Statistically speaking, there only ever been a certain number of "'Chieftain Jobs" (middle management careers) and it's extremely competitive to land one of those few coveted positions.    You not only have to be good but you have to be the best of the best (or have the connections).

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 12:50:02 PM

I definately think it's worth it. Sure, we live in a tough time now (with the economy etc). But, I'm sure, in the long run it will be worth it. Your efforts & money spend on your college will somehow pay itselves back.

(For example when you get promotion above a collegue, because you have a degree and he/she doesn't).

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
jinjuro

Activity: 602

View Profile
April 30, 2014, 01:02:22 PM

Build your own business empire. Be the boss not the worker. I'm know many billionaires who don't even touch college  and still succeed that started from a poor family.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: