Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:05:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Expedia still accepting Bitcoin?  (Read 206 times)
PopaulHith (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 12, 2020, 05:05:03 PM

I was wondering if Expedia is still accepting Bitcoin.

I tried to book a flight and an hotel from France (expedia.fr).
Bitcoin is not a payment option.

That being said I keep finding articles saying that Expedia accept Bitcoin in 2020.

So, Is Expedia still accepting Bitcoin?
For which products?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6129

View Profile
January 12, 2020, 05:11:22 PM
Last edit: January 12, 2020, 05:40:32 PM by OmegaStarScream

They stopped accepting bitcoin in 2018. The articles you found might be based on some old (outdated) ones, that's probably why it's still listed there.

As an alternative, you can buy gift cards for HotelGift or FlightGift from Bitrefill.com.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 12:16:00 AM

As an alternative, you can buy gift cards for HotelGift or FlightGift from Bitrefill.com.

Flightgift prices have one of the worst premiums attached to them I've ever seen and that goes for every single flight I've ever checked. Sometimes it can be more than 25%.

There are not many travel gift vouchers available for Bitcoin but lastminute.com vouchers are available from Bitrefill and Giftoff and their pricing is at least competitive with the normal market. Even then they can be not so good. They also do hotels as well.

As for the original question, Expedia only experimented with hotels for BTC, never flights, and as above they don't do it any more.

figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 07:56:39 AM
Merited by illinest (1)

Flightgift prices have one of the worst premiums attached to them I've ever seen and that goes for every single flight I've ever checked. Sometimes it can be more than 25%.

There are not many travel gift vouchers available for Bitcoin but lastminute.com vouchers are available from Bitrefill and Giftoff and their pricing is at least competitive with the normal market. Even then they can be not so good. They also do hotels as well.

skip the vouchers. i'm a big fan of cheapair.com---they accept bitcoin payments directly with BTCPayServer: https://www.cheapair.com/blog/update-on-our-search-for-a-new-bitcoin-payment-processor/

they've been accepting BTC since 2013 and they are a genuinely thoughtful and pro-bitcoin company with good customer support. they even have dedicated phone/email support just for crypto customers!

so i like to support them even though their prices tend to be a bit higher (~2-8%) than expedia. they are sometimes competitive but on average expedia definitely undercuts them.

rnsribeiro

Activity: 32

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 11:50:11 AM

I was wondering if Expedia is still accepting Bitcoin.

I tried to book a flight and an hotel from France (expedia.fr).
Bitcoin is not a payment option.

That being said I keep finding articles saying that Expedia accept Bitcoin in 2020.

So, Is Expedia still accepting Bitcoin?
For which products?

As was said - they're not since 2018.
I've heard about Travala service (not advertising in any way) - I have not tried it, but I've seen some news that they're travel company which is accepting bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies apparently.
Moreover I've heard they did sort of collaboration with booking com which is wide known.
Anyway, as I said I'm unaffiliated person just consider to at least check 'em out.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 11:54:08 AM

skip the vouchers. i'm a big fan of cheapair.com---they accept bitcoin payments directly with BTCPayServer: https://www.cheapair.com/blog/update-on-our-search-for-a-new-bitcoin-payment-processor/

they've been accepting BTC since 2013 and they are a genuinely thoughtful and pro-bitcoin company with good customer support. they even have dedicated phone/email support just for crypto customers!

so i like to support them even though their prices tend to be a bit higher (~2-8%) than expedia. they are sometimes competitive but on average expedia definitely undercuts them.

Cheapair doesn't list many budget airlines in Europe so they're effectively pointless for Europeans unless they're going long haul. Budget airlines are usually 2-5x cheaper than the obscurities Cheapair throws up and are vastly more numerous in the times and routes offered.

And I still don't see why anyone should be paying a premium for the honour of spending BTC. On checking one flight there, London to Boston, Cheapair are $50 more for the exact same flight.
TimtheYoutuber

Activity: 1708
Merit: 125

www.positivebetting.com

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2020, 03:09:23 PM

You could use a service like Bitpay to pay for the flight and hotel with bitcoins. Or a service related to that.

Positivebetting
PopaulHith (OP)

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 07:39:37 PM

How can I use Bitpay as a customer ?
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 07:46:50 PM

How can I use Bitpay as a customer ?

You can't. It's each merchant who integrates Bitpay. If they don't do it then you can't pay with BTC.

The closest alternative to Expedia available to pay with BTC will be lastminute.com as they sell hotels and flights.

You can buy gift cards for Bitcoin for it here - https://giftoff.com/gift-cards?filters%5Bsort%5D=alpha&filters%5Bcategory%5D=15&filters%5Bcountry%5D=80&page=1
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 08:50:38 PM

Cheapair doesn't list many budget airlines in Europe so they're effectively pointless for Europeans unless they're going long haul. Budget airlines are usually 2-5x cheaper than the obscurities Cheapair throws up and are vastly more numerous in the times and routes offered.

And I still don't see why anyone should be paying a premium for the honour of spending BTC. On checking one flight there, London to Boston, Cheapair are $50 more for the exact same flight.

maybe things are different in the states. i've seen fare differences that were pretty negligible.

it's not just for the "honor" of spending BTC either. cheapair is an awesome company that genuinely does right by its customers. expedia is the polar opposite---they fuck people over left and right, are misleading about prices and hidden charges, and they have horribly unfair refund policies. their online reviews make it very clear who i would rather deal with:

if you've ever been fucked over by expedia (i have been), you won't mind paying a few % higher to use cheapair. it's worth it for the smoother experience and peace of mind.

that they are huge bitcoin supporters, use BTCPayServer instead of bitpay, and have dedicated crypto customer support is just icing on the cake. Smiley

squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 09:05:41 PM

How can I use Bitpay as a customer?

You can buy gift cards directly from BitPay by using their dedicated wallet. They don't offer Expedia, but they do offer Delta for booking flights, Hotels.com for booking hotels, and Princess Cruises for booking cruises.

Side note: I occasionally make use of their gift card mall, but I would advise against using BitPay as your regular wallet. In addition to lacking Segwit support, it has horrible fee estimation.

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 13, 2020, 09:24:14 PM

You can buy gift cards directly from BitPay by using their dedicated wallet. They don't offer Expedia, but they do offer Delta for booking flights, Hotels.com for booking hotels, and Princess Cruises for booking cruises.

I completely forgot about that.

Since OP appears to be in the EU they'll be offered a completely different selection of cards. Bitpay is showing me lastminute.com and Virgin for travel options. I think that might be Virgin holidays rather than airlines but I haven't checked.
bitrefill

Activity: 238
Merit: 52

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2020, 11:33:38 AM

Hello,

here you can see our Travel offering for every country or region: https://www.bitrefill.com/buy/travel.

Besides the tourist package aggregators we have everywhere, we sell some Airline cards to buy directly with them, for example in the USA Delta and Southwest, in Australia Jetstar.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: