Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:14:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dryer Socket for mining?  (Read 1678 times)
kthejung (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:52:48 AM
Last edit: March 19, 2014, 06:29:30 AM by kthejung

Is it possible to use the dryer socket to power mining equipment and if so, how can I do it safely?

edit:  nevermind, read some older posts and it suggests that a pdu that utilizes a 50amp dryer socket is very rare and expensive.  It is feasible to drop the 50amp to a 30amp outlet and run a 30amp pdu from the outlet.  I am currently renting so I am going to ignore this idea.
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 07:12:26 AM

Is it possible to use the dryer socket to power mining equipment and if so, how can I do it safely?

edit:  nevermind, read some older posts and it suggests that a pdu that utilizes a 50amp dryer socket is very rare and expensive.  It is feasible to drop the 50amp to a 30amp outlet and run a 30amp pdu from the outlet.  I am currently renting so I am going to ignore this idea.

You read bad advice or misread the advice... unless maybe in your country it is different. A common dryer circuit in the USA is a 30 amp 240v circuit, which is perfect for throwing any 30 amp 208v-240v PDU on. I have ran my farms off of my dryer outlet for almost two years now with no problems.

Have an electrician rig up an adapter for you if you're not comfortable making one yourself. The electrician that made my adapters for me even reluctantly made me an adapter for my 50 amp oven outlet as well with two 30 amp 240v plugs at the end. I just promised him I wouldn't use more than 80% of the 50 amp circuit and told him I wouldn't tell anyone where I got the cable if anything bad happens (lol). As long as you don't pull more amps than the circuit is rated for, on a technical level there is no reason why this wouldn't work as well (just FYI if your circuit is indeed a 60 amp circuit).
kthejung (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:14:00 PM

edit:  nevermind, read some older posts and it suggests that a pdu that utilizes a 50amp dryer socket is very rare and expensive.  It is feasible to drop the 50amp to a 30amp outlet and run a 30amp pdu from the outlet.  I am currently renting so I am going to ignore this idea.

You read bad advice or misread the advice... unless maybe in your country it is different. A common dryer circuit in the USA is a 30 amp 240v circuit, which is perfect for throwing any 30 amp 208v-240v PDU on. I have ran my farms off of my dryer outlet for almost two years now with no problems.

Have an electrician rig up an adapter for you if you're not comfortable making one yourself. The electrician that made my adapters for me even reluctantly made me an adapter for my 50 amp oven outlet as well with two 30 amp 240v plugs at the end. I just promised him I wouldn't use more than 80% of the 50 amp circuit and told him I wouldn't tell anyone where I got the cable if anything bad happens (lol). As long as you don't pull more amps than the circuit is rated for, on a technical level there is no reason why this wouldn't work as well (just FYI if your circuit is indeed a 60 amp circuit).

very informative...  I assumed that the 50amp breaker was for the dryer but it must be for the oven. So you are saying that I can buy a pdu and have an electrician rig that up to fit into the dryer outlet and I can run my miners off that right? 
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

very informative...  I assumed that the 50amp breaker was for the dryer but it must be for the oven. So you are saying that I can buy a pdu and have an electrician rig that up to fit into the dryer outlet and I can run my miners off that right? 

Correct. If the electrician feels uncomfortable making it for you, because it will be a bit of an odd request for them, just keep calling around. You'll find someone that will make it for you.

Have fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: