Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 11:53:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about backed (and not) Stablecoins - GOLD token 100% backed by gold.  (Read 432 times)
LbtalkL

Activity: 1176
Merit: 162

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 04:19:24 PM

I have read thread here on bitcointalk before some stablecoins have the ability to froze your funds it is quite alarming right? Only DAI doesn't have those rights and the rest of these stablecoins can freeze any accounts, so if you are holding big amounts we need to be careful with these stablecoins.
Don't get offended but in previous years I encountered two or more projects claiming to be backed by gold and end up being scam. I hope digital gold is not one of them. Did anyone know a coin that is backed by gold that is already on the market right now?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
naikturun

Activity: 1190
Merit: 267

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 05:03:43 PM
Merited by gaston castano (3), qweqwe2121 (1)

if you say GOLD is part of a stable coin, so how do you call gold itself where it is a commodity that has long been traded by people to benefit and avoid inflation, because the value of gold also fluctuates and will not remain (even though the fluctuations are not as high as crypto).
and other benefits of gold is more liquid than crypto. the rest I think it's the same as crypto which is a commodity  Roll Eyes

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 05:09:59 PM
Last edit: January 27, 2020, 05:24:05 PM by Tytanowy Janusz
Merited by wwzsocki (1)

if you say GOLD is part of a stable coin, so how do you call gold itself where it is a commodity that has long been traded by people to benefit and avoid inflation, because the value of gold also fluctuates and will not remain (even though the fluctuations are not as high as crypto).
and other benefits of gold is more liquid than crypto. the rest I think it's the same as crypto which is a commodity  Roll Eyes

USD value also fluctuates. Especial compared to other currencies. That's why people trade it on forex.

Does this chart shows that for Turkish guy USDT is not stable coin?

USD value changes even compared to USD itself:

Stable coin means that it is backed by other asset and it is stable to that asset. Not that it's value never change.
betty11
Copper Member

Activity: 448
Merit: 3

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 08:38:32 PM

I love the concept of Digital Gold, had read their whitepaper, they said they have equivalent Gold in the vault in relation to the amount of token issued. This way the price can be well monitored. I just hope this stands true for all time.
naikturun

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 09:00:54 PM

snip

so clearly, nothing is really stable if you say so  Grin

💀|.
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
ATSgrowth

Activity: 924
Merit: 106

homt.net

View Profile
January 27, 2020, 09:28:42 PM

I would buy Tether gold because it seems like the most trusted gold backed stable coin, even Tether has problems in the past, it is backed by one of the biggest crypto exchange - Bitfinex. Other gold backed stablecoins are just newcomers that promise legitimity and this can´t be trusted.

► HOMT ◄ ♦ World’s First Crypto Based Students Rental Platform ♦ ► HOMT ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Facebook|LinkedIn
Tytanowy Janusz
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1622

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 08:49:59 AM
Last edit: January 28, 2020, 10:08:34 AM by Tytanowy Janusz
Merited by wwzsocki (1), naikturun (1)

so clearly, nothing is really stable if you say so  Grin

According to what i say even a BEP-2 BTCB (BTC backed token) is a stable token because it's price remain stable compared to base product - BTC.

To have really stable coin with stable value you would have to create:
1- some sort of actively managed fund backed by "basket of goods". But this will be extreme inefficient and its annual management cost will most likely exceed the inflation rate.
2- ETP backed by basic materials and products (iron, steel, wheat, gold, oil, copper, natural gas, cotton, corn, sugar, coffee, aluminium and more) - that way you will recive almost inflation/deflation free product which management cost will be acceptable.
3- product not backed by anything but with fixed exchange rate - something like this fund that allows betting on US STOCK volatility (f.e. you earn if volatility will increase) - same thing but allows you to bet on increase/decrease of USD value.
naikturun

View Profile
January 28, 2020, 11:48:45 AM

so clearly, nothing is really stable if you say so  Grin

According to what i say even a BEP-2 BTCB (BTC backed token) is a stable token because it's price remain stable compared to base product - BTC.

1- some sort of actively managed fund backed by "basket of goods". But this will be extreme inefficient and its annual management cost will most likely exceed the inflation rate.
2- ETP backed by basic materials and products (iron, steel, wheat, gold, oil, copper, natural gas, cotton, corn, sugar, coffee, aluminium and more) - that way you will recive almost inflation/deflation free product which management cost will be acceptable.
3- product not backed by anything but with fixed exchange rate - something like this fund that allows betting on US STOCK volatility (f.e. you earn if volatility will increase) - same thing but allows you to bet on increase/decrease of USD value.

I think it will just throw money away, considering that no one does such a thing, people like it when prices go up and down, because they can produce from the difference in value.
because I don't think it needs to be really done, unless there is a certain reason for it. Cheesy

💀|.
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1707

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2020, 12:04:25 AM
Last edit: January 31, 2020, 12:25:12 PM by wwzsocki

I love the concept of Digital Gold...they said they have equivalent Gold in the vault in relation to the amount of token issued... I just hope this stands true for all time.
This question was already answered multiple times in this thread, so it is enough to read and we have only two pages as for now  Wink.

Anyways, I will quote my answer one more time, to make it easier for you.

...Digital Gold use https://www.bullionstar.com vaults to store the physical gold which is pegged to the GOLD token.

Each GOLD token is 100% backed by physical gold stored in a secure vault. Amounts of physical gold stored can be verified at any time. The Digital Gold Marketplace guarantees GOLD token's liquidity. An unlimited amount of GOLD can be purchased/redeemed on the Digital Gold Marketplace website instantly 24/7...

Remember to read threads before commenting (especially short once) because normally I put on IGNORE such members who comment like this.

I hope you understand, such comments are annoying for the thread author and show that you haven't read the thread at all because this question was also answered in the opening post.

There is such a good unspoken rule, we read the whole short threads and long once (depending on the length) at least a few first and last pages always.

To be able to take an important part in the discussion, and not to duplicate previously asked and answered questions. I hope you will take this advice seriously.

wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2020, 05:57:36 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2020, 02:39:40 PM by wwzsocki

I would buy Tether gold because it seems like the most trusted gold backed stable coin, even Tether has problems in the past, it is backed by one of the biggest crypto exchange - Bitfinex...

This is exactly what they count for in Tether. They will overtake this still very small market because there is no competition for them. I see such comments as yours overall, all people are happy that Tether launched this new backed with gold stablecoin and that this is really a good and trusted company, so suites great as a guarantee for our money. I am shocked!!!

We all know that they printed billions of dollars from thin air and now there is still ongoing investigation where hundreds of millions of dollars are missing in bank accounts, that should be secured because USDT is (or rather should be) "pegged" to this money. This hall thing is still ongoing, only because courts will not kill them instantly because only customers would be affected with losses, nobody else and we are talking about billions here.

Imagine that this ball is still rolling, only because Bitfinex is not closed yet, they keep printing Tether from the thin air and now expand even more with the tokenized gold product. If there will be such a black time on the market and many will withdraw their USDT to USD or any other currency, believe me, Tether will collapse because there is not enough money in the bank. So simple is that.

Despite everything, I understand that in the end, everybody will choose Tether Gold if will have a choice.

sorrros

Activity: 954
Merit: 104

ludenaprotocol.io

View Profile
February 03, 2020, 07:16:26 PM

Probably the biggest player in this game would be Tether GOLD because it is the largest company and with its influence they can easily dominate the market.
But, there are some smaller projects that offers more interesting solutions, for example Anchor token that is backed to global economy growth, so there is a chance of earning some profit in the future.

► LudenaProtocol ◄ ♦️ A Gamified Social Platform for Worldwide Gamers ♦️ ► LudenaProtocol ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Instagram|Whitepaper
wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2020, 02:40:34 PM

Probably the biggest player in this game would be Tether GOLD because it is the largest company and with its influence they can easily dominate the market...

Imagine that this ball is still rolling, only because Bitfinex is not closed yet, they keep printing Tether from the thin air and now expand even more with the tokenized gold product. If there will be such a black time on the market and many will exchange their USDT to USD (or any other currency) and withdraw to bank accounts, believe me, this will be the day when Tether collapse because there is not enough money in the bank to afford such massive withdrawals. So simple is that.

There was even lately a special movement created to do a "check the exchanges day" and coins like Tether, how they really stand out and to withdraw for one or a couple of days all the money and coins from exchanges and services as Defi. Of course, it was a total fiasco and nobody heard about it, only a few people.

Now let's try to guess why media and crypto influencers haven't advertised such a great case?
Because such day will end up the crypto market once for all and all crypto prices will fall to zero in no time, believe me. That is why nobody mentioned it.

Despite everything, I understand that in the end, everybody will choose Tether Gold if will have a choice.

cryptovigi

Activity: 714
Merit: 611

View Profile
February 12, 2020, 11:03:12 PM

@wwzsocki as usually great thread - you managed to encourage a lot of people to discuss.

You are absolutely right although it is hard for me to imagine a technical solution by securing coins with the right amount of products (options on them) from commodity exchanges...
Anyway I think that the name "stablecoin" is misleading. In fact, these coins should not be called "StableCoins" but rather "EquivalentCoins" because it much better reflects their character. Among the examples of coins secured with precious metals, ores, "real" securities, shares and fiat currency, the last is the closest to the name "stable", despite the vulnerability to inflation, deflation or exchange rate fluctuations (although only for people who use a specific fiat currency on a daily basis) - in all other cases these currencies will not be stable but remain risky and exposed to exchange rate fluctuations. Unfortunately, the name "stable" sounds definitely better in terms of marketing and gives a "sense of security" besides, it has already adopted in the crypto world.

wwzsocki (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2020, 08:53:09 AM

... I think that the name "stablecoin" is misleading. In fact, these coins should ... be called ... "EquivalentCoins" because it much better reflects their character. Among the examples of coins secured with precious metals, ores, "real" securities, shares and fiat currency, the last is the closest to the name "stable", despite the vulnerability to inflation, deflation or exchange rate fluctuations... Unfortunately, the name "stable" sounds definitely better in terms of marketing and gives a "sense of security" besides, it has already adopted in the crypto world.

I think you nailed it here.

I am sure that the name"Stablecoin" was carefully chosen by professionals for the first pegged cryptocurrency (Tether) and past perfect for their marketing needs.
Of course, the name "stable" gives the "sense of security" and I am sure, that it was their main goal, which was achieved without any doubts.

There was a need for such an alternative on the crypto market to be able to secure ourselves from volatility but nobody thought that so much money will be printed from the thin for so long.
I just can't understand how Tether was able to do this when SEC and other watchdog institutions are actively scanning the market?

So many projects have already court cases ongoing just after ICO and Tether team was able to print billions of $$$ before somebody even asked for any audits.

@wwzsocki as usually great thread - you managed to encourage a lot of people to discuss.

Thanks for your kind words.

I am always happy when there is a quality discussion and that is why I was missing valuable comments during your last detox  Wink Cheesy from the forum.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: