Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:00:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Apple App Store & BitCoins  (Read 3097 times)
Jr00t (OP)

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 12:07:17 PM

Greetings everyone

In the past we have seen the Apple App Store deny applications base on whatever Apple decides - As a developer this always caused me concern that my efforts to develop an app will be squashed by Apple for no reason.  That being said, does anyone think there will be any issues trying to get bitcoin related apps published on the App Store?

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
­­­Atlas_

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 12:49:47 PM

That being said, does anyone think there will be any issues trying to get bitcoin related apps published on the App Store?

The policy of Apple's App Store does not allow free/open-source software
Not completely true. Your software will be subject to the restrictions of the App Store but nothing is preventing from you licensing it as public domain and free for modification to the highest extent possible.

Sure, it doesn't meet the anal restrictions of the GPLs and GNU but let's be practical. Software can be just as free without them.
­­­Atlas_

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 02:04:23 PM

Not completely true. Your software will be subject to the restrictions of the App Store but nothing is preventing from you licensing it as public domain and free for modification to the highest extent possible.

Sure, it doesn't meet the anal restrictions of the GPLs and GNU but let's be practical. Software can be just as free without them.

This applies if it's your own software and you wrote everything or you are just using code from the public domain.
You cannot use the code from someone else and license it as public domain, which makes it very difficult to write a client...
Well, the licenses aren't very free then, eh? Haha.

Hm, as far as I'm concerned, all the MIT license requires is some reference of the said license, which should be possible for the iOS platform. Correct me if I am wrong.
­­­Atlas_

View Profile
March 31, 2011, 02:13:00 PM

That being said, does anyone think there will be any issues trying to get bitcoin related apps published on the App Store?

The policy of Apple's App Store does not allow free/open-source software

The GPL is not the be-all-end-all of free-software licences. There are numerous other free and open licences that can be used, such as BSD, MIT, CDDL, ...
Not in the eyes of Richard Stallman. Only GNU forces you to be free.
Jered Kenna (TradeHill)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2011, 02:31:20 PM

I just wanted to tell you, that Apple don't really supports free/open-source software.

Not too surprising, they're about as closed of a company as you get.
I suppose that's a problem with developing an iphone app and getting people to trust it.

moneyandtech.com
@moneyandtech @jeredkenna
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2011, 01:45:05 AM

Why would it be against the license if you offered to give away the source code?  Just because the binary is in the app store and the source is in a different spot it should be ok.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 01:53:02 AM

Why would it be against the license if you offered to give away the source code?  Just because the binary is in the app store and the source is in a different spot it should be ok.

If it's all YOUR code and YOUR copyright, you can distribute it any way you want. If you're using others' code, the story is different.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:51:02 AM

I was somewhat surprised when I did a search of the iTunes App Store and didn't get a single hit for 'bitcoin'.

Please continue with your project and write something and release it.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a full Bitcoin wallet implementation.

There should be "an App for that" and there isn't yet.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 06:59:05 AM

I'd be perfectly happy with not having an iPhone app at all. The license issue is just one of many reasons to not develop for iOS.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 11:52:50 AM

My understanding is that you can put open source software in the app store. However, apples policies are such that I would not want to risk developing for iOS. While the license may not be an issue, they might well find a different reason to deny entry.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2011, 03:43:36 PM

If it's all YOUR code and YOUR copyright, you can distribute it any way you want. If you're using others' code, the story is different.

Yes.  Understood.  Why I don't get (and I know there is a reason) is why many open source licenses are a problem with the Apple app store.  What is the specific licensing issue?

­­­Atlas_

View Profile
April 01, 2011, 03:53:57 PM

Yes.  Understood.  Why I don't get (and I know there is a reason) is why many open source licenses are a problem with the Apple app store.  What is the specific licensing issue?

The code isn't modifiable to the end user. It's just BS due to the 'forced freedom' aspect of many licenses.
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 03:10:42 AM

What about the possibility of releasing an app on Cydia for jailbroken iOS users?  Cydia is essentially just a frontend for APT, so it's got very much to do with open-source and license issues and such.  You can also charge for the app, though sadly only payments through PayPal and Amazon are currently supported.

It would be amazing if you could somehow pay for a Bitcoin app with Bitcoins, hehe.
kelp

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 02, 2011, 04:16:08 AM

There are plenty of open source iOS and OS X App Store apps.

http://maniacdev.com/2010/06/35-open-source-iphone-app-store-apps-updated-with-10-new-apps/

True the GPL is incompatible with Apple's policies, but that has no bearing on Bitcoin, which has an MIT style license.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: