Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:52:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this the normal Bitcoin attitude?  (Read 2810 times)
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1075

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 10:02:32 AM

In recent dealings with some newer Bitcoin exchanges I have found email correspondence to be IMHO rather unprofessional.

Although I am not going to name names I am specifically talking about receiving emails that (a) didn't include any company information or any person's name, (b) did not have hi/hello or any sort of greeting (I am referring to the an initial email/reply rather than any follow ups) and (c) contained one or more facetious remarks (as seemingly these companies doesn't like having any criticism being made about their services).

Having worked as a software engineer for over 20 years I know how professional support should work (and have even done my share when the company I worked for didn't have enough personal for specific support staff). Anyone who sent emails like the ones I have recently received would have been quickly "let go" from every company that I have worked for.

Have I missed something in the past few years - is this "attitude" towards customers is the new norm or is this just a Bitcoin thing?

Regards,

Ian Knowles.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:08:13 AM

Vague post is vague.

Also, I'd say it's a safe bet to presume half of bitcoin businesses involve individuals who have never actually done business before. That's changing though thank christ.

CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 10:10:43 AM

Vague post is vague.

So I guess that (a), (b) and (c) are just too vague for you...

...sigh...

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:11:49 AM

Have I missed something in the past few years - is this "attitude" towards customers is the new norm or is this just a Bitcoin thing?

Neither. I've had nothing but really polite and helpful replies to all my queries and, yes, complaints on the services I use.

You mention a single email thread from a single company, if I understand correctly. That being the case then in fact you have fully understood what the real moto of bitcoin talks around here are: be quick to complain and criticize, generalize as much as possible and hide all helpful specifics. It's a shame, but that's the trend with people pasting full articles without mentioning where they come from, speaking of 'that individual' or 'that company' as if everyone that would match that description were to blame for everything.

Anyway, just restating my point, the bitcoin commercial community has shown nothing but great skill at professionally handling all the requests I've put forward thus far, sorry you didn't have the same experience.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:13:01 AM

Vague post is vague.

So I guess that (a), (b) and (c) are just too vague for you...

...sigh...

I guess my vague post calling your vague post was too vague to understand that the vagueness was regarding the offender vaguely in question. Vague.

JA37

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:14:02 AM

Average age of bitcoin community is about 20 I think. Young people these days have no manners.  Tongue

Ponzi me: http://fxnet.bitlex.org/?ref=588
Thanks to the anonymous person who doubled my BTC wealth by sending 0.02 BTC to: 1BSGbFq4G8r3uckpdeQMhP55ScCJwbvNnG
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 10:17:54 AM

To be more specific then (as it seems if I don't name names I am being too vague):

Thank you for your USER ID Ian, we try to reply to our users in a timely manner, your reply email to me was not a observation or feedback you called my business unprofessional here is what you said "In my opinion this was not a very professional" i don't take comments like these lightly and i will reply accordingly, please if are not satisfied with the services we are providing, please take your business else where. you are the only user to complain at this level.

We will verify your account and in 30 days suspend your account and not allow you to trade on World Bitcoin Exchange again.

This is because I said "In my opinion this was not a very professional reply (one line lower case, no hello, no name, no company signature)".

I think this is perhaps a slight overreaction - or not?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:19:11 AM

Average age of bitcoin community is about 20 I think. Young people these days have no manners.  Tongue

It's not even that, it's just that the internet revolves around brevity.

I was arguing with Vicente the other day on how to write customer service emails and hecsaid uou shouldn't say "Dear xxxx" or any greeting at all. I sign my support cases "Sincerely, blahblah" as well. I understand many situations call for brevity but maybe living in Korea has got me on the confusciast overly polite wagon or something.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5180
Merit: 12884

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:37:55 AM

Lacking "polite fluff" is the least of the problems with that email...

I was arguing with Vicente the other day on how to write customer service emails and hecsaid uou shouldn't say "Dear xxxx" or any greeting at all. I sign my support cases "Sincerely, blahblah" as well. I understand many situations call for brevity but maybe living in Korea has got me on the confusciast overly polite wagon or something.

"Dear" and "sincerely" sound much too formal to me. Some sort of "hello" is polite if you're the one opening the conversation. I almost never include a formal valediction, and usually not even an informal one.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 10:46:35 AM

LOL

Their "new security measures" statement reads suspiciously like it was cut and pasted from MtGox.

Please be aware that due to the sudden increase in identification requests, processing of submitted documentation has become slightly delayed. We thank our users for their continued patience and support as we adjust to the requirements which have been obligated upon WBX.

To be honest, a response like that is begging for a customer to complain to the Office of Fair Trading.  It's a stupid thing to do when you acknowledge on your website that you're operating unlicensed.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Andre Jensen (World Bitcoin Exchange)

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 11:01:46 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2011, 11:29:39 AM by Andre Jensen (World Bitcoin Exchange)

LOL

Their "new security measures" statement reads suspiciously like it was cut and pasted from MtGox.

Please be aware that due to the sudden increase in identification requests, processing of submitted documentation has become slightly delayed. We thank our users for their continued patience and support as we adjust to the requirements which have been obligated upon WBX.

To be honest, a response like that is begging for a customer to complain to the Office of Fair Trading.  It's a stupid thing to do when you acknowledge on your website that you're operating unlicensed.

Yes we are operating unlicenced and we are open about that, we have nothing to hide, unfortunately it looks like i have made a huge mistake by responding to IAN with a one liner Reply with in 1 hour of receiving his email and i apologise for that.

I have however told Ian i don't want his business on WBX and this is why i find myself here.

Andre  
Therilith

Activity: 62

100X100111XX10

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 11:33:32 AM

While I don't have any opinion on this particular instance of alleged unprofessional behavior, I'd rather do business with a company that's honest and forthright than one that gives me nothing but vague marketspeak and empty politeness.

Money is power. If you would like to transfer some of your power to me (making yourself weaker and me stronger), use the following address: 1PoFSpghmpsebfwZwnu5PPmmv2u9uYgJKo
CIYAM (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 11:41:07 AM

Just confirming that Andre has let me know he won't freeze my account.

I gather they are under a lot of stress and don't wish to create a flame war (was just a little upset).

Regards,

Ian Knowles.

Litt

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 11:45:21 AM

Well, I received a one word response from Btc-e when I contacted them about my missing deposit without any resolution. I'm still waiting for a response that contains more than just one word saying "check". That was the most ridiculous response I received from an exchange. Completely unprofessional. Still, I wouldn't say it's normal considering MtGox has been very good so far with communication, but it isn't out of the ordinary when dealing with no name exchanges seeing another exchange being even worse than btc-e.

When an exchange responds with such little professionalism, it is best to just avoid them completely because that is not a normal attitude of a bitcoin exchange that will be around for a while.
Andre Jensen (World Bitcoin Exchange)

Activity: 102

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2011, 12:09:51 PM

Well, I received a one word response from Btc-e when I contacted them about my missing deposit without any resolution. I'm still waiting for a response that contains more than just one word saying "check". That was the most ridiculous response I received from an exchange. Completely unprofessional. Still, I wouldn't say it's normal considering MtGox has been very good so far with communication, but it isn't out of the ordinary when dealing with no name exchanges seeing another exchange being even worse than btc-e.

When an exchange responds with such little professionalism, it is best to just avoid them completely because that is not a normal attitude of a bitcoin exchange that will be around for a while.

Yes i would have to agree with you on every level, At WBX we like to learn from our mistakes, let me tell you this has taught us a good lesson, we have made the necessary steps to not substitute simplicity for professionalism in the way we conduct business, we will do the best we can to not let this happen again to our customers in the future.

Thanks Ian for understanding.

Andre
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 12:48:00 PM

Lacking "polite fluff" is the least of the problems with that email...

"Dear" and "sincerely" sound much too formal to me. Some sort of "hello" is polite if you're the one opening the conversation. I almost never include a formal valediction, and usually not even an informal one.

I have to agree on this level of formalness being unnecessary for most business correspondence. Speaking of businesses outside of bitcoin, I tend to get a little suspicious if the person is being too 'nice'. It makes me wonder things like, "Do they really need my business that bad, or, are they up to something". The closing sentiment should not be much more than 'Thanks', 'Regards', and at most, as I get from a lot of Asian correspondence, 'Kind Regards'. The later would probably be creepy if coming from a US business and would bring back my suspicions.

That said, the body should never carry tones of defensiveness but this is not a Bitcoin product. I had a response just the other day from a sales manager at a very large distributor that had a lot of defensive undertones in it. It was in reply to my directing a question of his repsonse time on a quote back to him AND his boss. ;p Hey, I was told 24-48 hours for a quote and six days later had not recieved one. On that same note, I made sure my reply did not 'feed' into that and was straight forward with my intentions.

TL;DR All people are subject to unprofessionalism, not just Bitcoiners. And, it takes two to conduct business profesionally

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
freequant

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 01:46:46 PM

Coming from someone who tends to write endless posts, this is a rather interesting opinion.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:36:59 PM

Coming from someone who tends to write endless posts, this is a rather interesting opinion.

This googley eyed hamburger is just my hyper energy outlet. Blah blah blah. I don't act like this in real life. Ask anyone here who has met me (including Vicente who I invited to live with me here in Korea while we work on some projects together).

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 02:49:41 PM

It just goes to show ya. You can't please all of the people all of the time. heh

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Dan The Man

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 18, 2011, 03:57:10 PM

In recent dealings with some newer Bitcoin exchanges I have found email correspondence to be IMHO rather unprofessional.

Although I am not going to name names I am specifically talking about receiving emails that (a) didn't include any company information or any person's name, (b) did not have hi/hello or any sort of greeting (I am referring to the an initial email/reply rather than any follow ups) and (c) contained one or more facetious remarks (as seemingly these companies doesn't like having any criticism being made about their services).

Having worked as a software engineer for over 20 years I know how professional support should work (and have even done my share when the company I worked for didn't have enough personal for specific support staff). Anyone who sent emails like the ones I have recently received would have been quickly "let go" from every company that I have worked for.

Regards,

Ian Knowles.

This forum post (a) didn't include any company information (b) did not have hi/hello or any sort of greeting (I am referring to the an initial posting rather than any follow up replies (c) contained one or more facetious remarks (as seemingly this poster doesn't like having getting "attitude").
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: